Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the opportunity to get quite a few games in of DoA over the past few weeks, and just felt like sharing a tactic. It became much clearer to me over multiple plays, and while it may be some ground already gone over in these posts, it's definitely a kind of "flashpoint" in my playing strategy.

It may be obvious, but a big part of the game - the beginning and middle game especially - is SLOWING down your enemy BIG TIME.

It's the middlegame that you really need to gain an edge in the adventures, or at least pace your enemy. Bottom line: you need to be "doing stuff" during these turns - lots of important vital stuff - other than just moving on the map. Like making adventure rolls, exchanging equipment, taking shots at people. Always keep your people busy.

And any time your opponent isn't "doing stuff," you're going to get ahead statistically - more cards, more shots, more kills, more adventure points. Make the game boring as possible for the enemy.

Some things that slow down the opponent:

1) Terrain. If you have characters that do well on certain terrain - swamp, fire, woods, buildings - it makes sense to choose a hex that's full of this terrain, and then placing it so it's not surrounded by other hexes. So that someone's getting banished in the Starport is the equivalent of Siberia for them (Wintercreak) but not you (Smoke, flying characters, fast/mounted characters).

2) Dome/number scarcity: I try to make scarce at least one die number on the board, insuring that a banishment roll for the enemy (and even a dismissal for me) will funnel characters to the same parts of the map.

This works even better in combination: if there are NO labryinths nearby, or ones that the enemy can't easily access (Ruins/yellow Stealth is great). Even if there is only my HQ nearby, I can at least keep a character semi-busy setting up a jumppad, or getting to the vault.

3) Opportunity fire & bluffing: Setting up an ambush - or the potential threat of one - by sitting characters near popular domes or labyrinths will divert the other player, making him dismiss to less-interesting parts of the map or avoid places altogether. (Mesas are ideal for this - just ask Roger Raygun with a Neutron Plasma Rifle perched in range of the only 6 domes/Future labyrinth on the map).

Even if your characters *don't* have weapons, bluff by placing op fire markers anyway, as your opponent moves his characters. Since you're not obligated to act upon the markers you place, this can often alter your opponent's entire plan and deter them from the most direct routes.

4) Creatures. I used to think that creatures weren't strong enough to be useful - but now I realize just as important as killing characters is slowing them down. I unleashed the Insurance Salesman & the 'Swarm on the same target character, which didn't kill them but slowed them down AND involved several other of the opponents' characters. It's like setting a fire on one side of town, and then looting the other side while the entire town's busy putting it out.

5) "Don't touch" characters. Agent 911 and Jolie are the prime examples. Having characters that your opponent doesn't want to attack are great "doormen" at your opponent's favorite labyrinths. Since most characters MUST stop when they land on an enemy character's space, slowing down people this way is very effective. It's like the guy going 30 MPH in the left-hand lane - he's killing you, but he's still in front of you and you can't get around him.

Again, this is all stuff that's kinda obvious I'm sure, but for me this part of the game has stood out as a vital tactic when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:The strategy of slowing your opponent down - DoA's secret weapon
hackryder (#29972),

Excellent article. I'm pleased to see that people are realizing that this great game is much more than a "die-fest", and one chock full of strategy and tactical moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:The strategy of slowing your opponent down - DoA's secret weapon
hackryder (#29972),

Good article. I agree with you. The secret weapon is to slow your opponent down.

For instance, I try to intice my opponent to go for the vaults. Their character is completely taken out of the game for a few turns. This is usually a bigger advantage to me than the cards they gain are to them.

The best way that I've found to slow my opponent, like you have mentioned, is through opfire. I always try to position my characters to threaten their movement. I have also noticed how much people underestimate opfire. They either have to waste time and change their path, or try the 'close your eyes and rush on through' approach, usually taking a lot of damage, all on their turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.