Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm curious about people's experience with the Cartographer's notebook so have created a poll, because I hear BGGers love polls. Please feel free to add any other comments you have regarding the notebook.

Poll
1. Have you used the Cartographer's notebook (printed pdf, physical notebook, etc.)?
Yes, I have used the cartographer's notebook to record game elements.
No, but I have used other methods of recording game elements.
No, I have not used anything to record game elements.
2. If so, did you find it useful?
A. Yes, it was useful and added to the theme/game.
B. Yes, it was useful but it detracted from the theme/game.
C. No, it was not useful but it added to the theme/game.
D. No, it was not useful and it detracted from the theme/game.
3. If you answered "A. Yes, it was useful and added to the theme/game", which version of the book did you use?
The printed notebook offered on the kickstarter.
A printed version of the pdf.
I came up with a way to use the pdf digitally.
I came up with some other way you haven't thought of.
4. If you answered "B. Yes, it was useful but it detracted from the theme/game", which version of the book did you use?
5. If you answered "C. No, it was not useful but it added to the theme/game", which version did you use?
6. If you answered "D. No, it was not useful and it detracted from the theme/game", which version did you use?
      92 answers
Poll created by coltbeatsall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it was quick since I never used it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is rather a short poll if you didn't use it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the KS notebook but have not got around to using it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I planned to use it (printed version, still in my box).
But in the end, I prefer not to take notes.
Any time I come back to known place, I still have memories, but doubts that make to keep the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to make maps, so of course I had to get the Cartographer's Notebook, and have had a lot of fun drawing it, naming the different geographical features (hey, I'm an explorer, I have the right to name everything I discover )

To me it really adds to the experience, just the same way that playing with someone else gives you memories to share, the notebook is another way of sharing or replaying memories.

I think the authors were sensitive to the desire of discovery and exploration that the game evokes, and support it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take the pages out of the notebook (is it ringbound or something), or would that involve tearing pages out?

We had just been taking photo's of sessions after saving, which we then printed out to have at the table as a guide, but I found it sometimes hard to get a fix on how everything still fitted together, so I've now been drawing onto A4 pages, and fixing them together (I'm up to about 7, and theses squares are smaller than the original cards) so I now have a rough map of the whole place (so I can check which tiles are still unexplored, in the hope that those contain the solution to my curse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are fixed. So I reference to which page to go for the East/West/North/South continuation of the map. At some point I plan to make a comprehensive map of the continent, indicating where each page of the notebook fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitrik wrote:
Any time I come back to known place, I still have memories, but doubts that make to keep the fun.

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but will repeat it here. @Nitrik captures my experience well. During my 4 attempts to defeat the VG curse (finally beat it after about 50 hrs of play), I took copious notes using the pdf file. I REALLY enjoyed the map-making exercise. It reminded me of old school text-based adventure games like Zork where you carefully charted out each dungeon and town so you knew where to go and where to avoid. The card art is so great and evocative and there are so many little clues and false leads it was fun to try to capture it all.

So what's the problem? Well... when I started to play "An Offering For The Guardians" I pulled out my trust map and knew exactly where everything was. I knew where the nearest hunt spot was and could quickly min/max movement costs to determine if it was cheaper to move to a space with wood and rope to craft this item or if it was cheaper to just spend cards and stay on my current space. I could do the math on "going the long way" or taking a shorter route with more obstacles to navigate. I knew where certain plants were to offer benefits, etc.

In short, the discovery and mystery were all but gone for any space I explored during my VG game. To be clear, the new curse had me explore some new terrain and learn some new things, so it wasn't a total bust... but knowing exactly what I would find under every Exploration Card spoiled a lot of the fun in the game. So I put my maps away and have played without them ever since.

I would recommend if you want to make maps, make them like you would from an airplane looking down on the continent. Feel free to draw the general contours and capture the highlights, but don't write down every detail about every icon, move cost, resources, etc. It really spoils some of the fun if you are too good of a cartographer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's easy to fix. Just take pics/scan the maps with your phone, degrade the quality and voilà, you have a fuzzy memory of your previous expeditions and you can put the dial on fuzzyness where you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
That's easy to fix. Just take pics/scan the maps with your phone, degrade the quality and voilà, you have a fuzzy memory of your previous expeditions and you can put the dial on fuzzyness where you like it.

Haha, that's a really fun idea, actually. Or burn/tear up your map and just keep a few pieces of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Medany
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Nitrik wrote:

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but will repeat it here. @Nitrik captures my experience well. During my 4 attempts to defeat the VG curse (finally beat it after about 50 hrs of play), I took copious notes using the pdf file. I REALLY enjoyed the map-making exercise. It reminded me of old school text-based adventure games like Zork where you carefully charted out each dungeon and town so you knew where to go and where to avoid. The card art is so great and evocative and there are so many little clues and false leads it was fun to try to capture it all.

So what's the problem? Well... when I started to play "An Offering For The Guardians" I pulled out my trust map and knew exactly where everything was. I knew where the nearest hunt spot was and could quickly min/max movement costs to determine if it was cheaper to move to a space with wood and rope to craft this item or if it was cheaper to just spend cards and stay on my current space. I could do the math on "going the long way" or taking a shorter route with more obstacles to navigate. I knew where certain plants were to offer benefits, etc.

In short, the discovery and mystery were all but gone for any space I explored during my VG game. To be clear, the new curse had me explore some new terrain and learn some new things, so it wasn't a total bust... but knowing exactly what I would find under every Exploration Card spoiled a lot of the fun in the game. So I put my maps away and have played without them ever since.

I would recommend if you want to make maps, make them like you would from an airplane looking down on the continent. Feel free to draw the general contours and capture the highlights, but don't write down every detail about every icon, move cost, resources, etc. It really spoils some of the fun if you are too good of a cartographer.

Or .. you know, Just start a new map for each curse... just saying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro I
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought an A5 sketch book from a art shop, with full black covers, since I prefer blank pages against the official one already gridded notebook.

Looking back I would have bought a smaller shirt pocket sized "Moleskin" sketch book since it would be even more thematic and unless you really put all the info in you wouldn't need so many (big) pages.

On top of being gridded (personal dislike) I believe the overall design of the notebook to be to flashy to be a "Cartographer" notebook. They did nail it with the satchel binder though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.