Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've got my first game of Kemet scheduled this week. I'll be teaching and playing a 2 player game.

How's the best way to Play to start out with?

Beginner mode, to 4 VP with power tiles reduced?

Short mode, to 8 VP?

Long mode, to 10 VP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you to play the short mode (8 VP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a beginner mode?

Anyway, I recommend short mode to 8 vp, for both beginners and experienced players. Plus the expansion end game condition (rules are free for download).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing to just 4VP and only using the level 1+2 power tiles is a good way to learn the game rules and see how the game plays.

Hopefully there will be plenty of time after that to reset everything and play the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 VP's can come rather quickly, but your are right. If you just want to get a feel for things before a full game this may be the way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of the beginner mode, but looks like a good way to easy people into the game. Kemet can be a little intimidating for casual players.

Apart from that, I recommend short mode and if possible 3+ players. Kemet is at the weakest with 2 players, so people may come out of the table thinking the game is worst then it really is.

I would not recommend using the Ta-Seti victory condition. It's essentially a sudden death rule and it can be very frustrating. Everyone I know that plays the game hates it. Whoever if you think the new players can benefit from a somewhat shorter game by all means use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print out more reference sheets... ASAP. Kemet is an outstanding game except for the ridiculous lack of multiple reference sheets for all of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
Print out more reference sheets... ASAP. Kemet is an outstanding game except for the ridiculous lack of multiple reference sheets for all of the tiles.

This.-----^

Legonian wrote:
Apart from that, I recommend short mode and if possible 3+ players. Kemet is at the weakest with 2 players, so people may come out of the table thinking the game is worst then it really is.

And This.-----^

Kemet is not great at 2 players. That said, if you are teaching it to another player first in preparation for a larger game with more players, then by all means! But your best experience will be with more players learning and exploring the game together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic P
Sweden
flag msg tools
c4dillon wrote:

Agree.
And start with 8 vp.

Somtimes it will be a " sudden death" both race to get that last vp during a dayphase.

My last game (2-player) we had to go on until I won with 14 vp vs 13 and we had the goal set to 8 vp. but we had 8 VP each time the round ended so we had to go on until some one acctully had more VP then the other player.
6 hours of intense fun!

Great game, one of the best out there on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NicGamz wrote:
c4dillon wrote:

Agree.
And start with 8 vp.

Somtimes it will be a " sudden death" both race to get that last vp during a dayphase.

My last game (2-player) we had to go on until I won with 14 vp vs 13 and we had the goal set to 8 vp. but we had 8 VP each time the round ended so we had to go on until some one acctully had more VP then the other player.
6 hours of intense fun!

Great game, one of the best out there on the market.

you don't need to keep playing to solve a tie. The tiebreaker rules are (from the V3.3 reference sheet on files section):

As soon as a player has at least 8 VP (optionally 10 VP)
at the end of a Day phase, he is the winner.
On a tie, the winner is (in this order): the player with
the most VP; the player with the most battle VP; and
the player who played earlier in the previous Day phase.

So, when the first of you hit end a day with 8 VP, even if tied for permanent and battle VP, the last turn order would break the tie.

Of course if you are having fun, there is nothing preventing you from played 6 hours straight. Just further evidence of how great this game is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.