Subject: Moving across the borders of the sea map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Can submarine move across the borders of the sea map (e.g. from O2 to A2)? I look at this as an endless sea (global).
I didn't see anywhere in the official rules that this is a forbidden move. And nobody commented this before on the BGG forum.
In the official rules it is only stated that the submarine cannot cross or move along its own previous route, move across an island or into a space with its own mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the play area is a small portion of a sea and not a globe, no, you cannot make that move. I also believe there is something in the rules about not being able to move off the map if I'm not mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:
I also believe there is something in the rules about not being able to move off the map if I'm not mistaken.

Trying to find in the official rules, but I cannot find it. What page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't have the game myself, so I'd have to get someone else to look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This feels like one of those "Well the rules don't say I can't punch my opponent in the face" scenarios. If the sub could teleport around the globe why use conventional engines at all? This sort of movement would also make the radio operators job ridiculously more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
If the sub could teleport around the globe why use conventional engines at all?

I didn't say this was a "teleport". This is just a regular move (once space at a time) from west to east (from O2 to A2) on a endless sea map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moody
United States
Grand Rapids
US-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lavov wrote:
lubomirvaic wrote:
I also believe there is something in the rules about not being able to move off the map if I'm not mistaken.

Trying to find in the official rules, but I cannot find it. What page?

I cannot find anything in the rules prohibiting this. The rules only say "cannot cross or move along its own previous route" and "cannot move across an island or into a space with its own mine".

However, it's unrealistic on the scale of the game's map. Also, I would still forbid it on the grounds that it would VASTLY complicate the Sonar Operator's job, as it would be much harder to determine the enemy's route on a map that wraps. The transparent sheet can't be used to check a route that that occupies opposite sides of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the rules say that you can't look at the other Captain's map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you imagine how complicated it would be for the radio operator to try and track movement across a toroid? You could go from top left to bottom right in a 2 moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Can you imagine how complicated it would be for the radio operator to try and track movement across a toroid? You could go from top left to bottom right in a 2 moves.

This is what people maybe aren't realising, if both sides wrap around in the way people might call 'standard' it actually makes a torus (a donut), rather than a sphere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Interesting how in video preview of upcoming expansion Captain Sonar: Upgrade One, it is mentioned that there are some special missiles you can basically send across the board. It is mentioned in minute 2:15 of video preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-er9nSBt-2g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lavov wrote:
Interesting how in video preview of upcoming expansion Captain Sonar: Upgrade One, it is mentioned that there are some special missiles you can basically send across the board. It is mentioned in minute 2:15 of video preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-er9nSBt-2g

Yes, but not around the board. There's a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
OK, thank you guys all on your opinions and thoughts! I think I will play this game by the rules you suggested (fixed borders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohan Lemonnier
France
flag msg tools
Hi everyone.
Official answer : you are not allowed to go outside of the playing area.

Enjoy!

Lieutenant Yohan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.