Hide
12 Posts

Time of Legends: Joan of Arc» Forums » General

Subject: solitaire ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mats Wallin
msg tools
Is there any plans to include a solitaire mode in the game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't quote me on it, but I remember them talking about coop scenarios, so it might be possible to solo them meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Wallin
msg tools
Would be awesome .... best way to learn how to play before i try introduce the game to my teenagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still play "solo" to learn the game even if it doesn't have solo or coop mode. Just try to make the appropriate choices for either side. After all, if the purpose is just to learn the game for teaching, then it doesn't matter if each side plays optimal as with 1v1 instead of solo. I do this all the time to learn games for teaching, as it helps in getting past some bumps in the rules I might have and gives you a good feel for the flow and pacing.

That said, it would be cool to have a true solo/coop mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the KS some player mentioned the creators considered solo/coop for some scenario's.
Nothing confirmed yet... regretfully. It would be an addon i'd be willing to put money down for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling board games during Brussels Games Festival 2018: check my for trade items. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
On the KS some player mentioned the creators considered solo/coop for some scenario's.
Nothing confirmed yet... regretfully. It would be an addon i'd be willing to put money down for.

Indeed it has been mentioned many times on the KS and, although the game will still focus on competitive games, at least I am expecting one solo scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal feeling is: If the game designers did not plan from the beginning a solo mode, then anything developed later will always feel 'tacked on'.

In this game, choosing from the river will be very important and developing an AI to handle that will be tricky.

Further to that, the scenarios require some interesting decisions, as you will be able to visit locations and talk to NPCs. It's more than just fighting in some cases. I don't know how you get an AI to handle those decisions (other than a random chart, which is pretty weak).

If you're just looking for an AI to handle the Battle Mode, I'm not very familar with war game AI games. I can't imagine that they would be particularly good. There are just too many shifting choices to make in a good war game and an AI will never be able to adapt to a human player in a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling board games during Brussels Games Festival 2018: check my for trade items. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
My personal feeling is: If the game designers did not plan from the beginning a solo mode, then anything developed later will always feel 'tacked on'.

In this game, choosing from the river will be very important and developing an AI to handle that will be tricky.

Further to that, the scenarios require some interesting decisions, as you will be able to visit locations and talk to NPCs. It's more than just fighting in some cases. I don't know how you get an AI to handle those decisions (other than a random chart, which is pretty weak).

If you're just looking for an AI to handle the Battle Mode, I'm not very familar with war game AI games. I can't imagine that they would be particularly good. There are just too many shifting choices to make in a good war game and an AI will never be able to adapt to a human player in a board game.

I am also not keen on supporting a solo mode for similar reasons.

At the same time I acknowledge there are some gamers interested on it (and it seems to me the general trend is that cooperative/solo games are gaining more and more interest in the community). If one solo scenario would encourage more backers to support the game I am fine with it.

I don't remember a good war game with AI but, if we are talking about scenario based game, there are some examples available often based on a timer. Descent Road to Legend and Legends of Andor are the first ones which comes in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Corwyn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will try the "Rally Round the King" rules + historical armies supplement by TwoHourWargames
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/81043/rally-round-king

Playing every tabletop wargame solo or coop sounds too good to be true, but i will definitely give it a try.
And this one also fits the theme very nicely: Historical settings with a fantasy twist.

Anyone has any experience with this rulesets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Even if no solo mode exists, leave it to creative boardgamers to post them online eventually, the rules and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any news for the solitaire system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusher100 wrote:
any news for the solitaire system?

From my understanding there are definitely some cooperative scenarios available, in some add-on (e.g. Legendary Dragon, Unleash Hell and Ars Nova) but also in the Maiden Core Box as far as I remember.

And I think also Leo (from Mythic Games) said once that the cooperative scenarios will practically be played as solo too.

Indeed, if you look and how the game works, I would image a solo game where a player simply has double the activations and resources than each player would have normally in a two players cooperative scenario (or simply double the time to achieve the objectives).

So yes, I would say there are definitely scenarios you can play as solo, we will know more when they will provide the list of scenarios for each box.

Just keep in mind that the game is expected to be a Player vs Player experience, and not all the scenarios will be playable as solo (although I am sure there will be plenty of variants in the future, especially in this community).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.