Joseph Ortega
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello,

A friend of mine and I are having a discussion on whether the Grotesque statue averts the dangers of the Shriveling card.

Grotesque Statue allows you to reveal two chaos tokens instead of one and choose the one you like.

Shriveling has an effect that will take two sanity away if a certain tokens are revealed.

The question is: Do the effects of Shriveling kick in as soon as both tokens are revealed and before one of them is chosen?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is totally not in the right forum.
You should, next time, post it under the Rules forum of the appropriate game.

(And I don't know the answer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut says that the one chosen is technically the only one in play and the choice happens in a separate dimension away from the Shriveling effect. That may not be what the rules say, but that is how I would play it until someone said different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
This is totally not in the right forum.

Via red-X wrong forum, an admin will be summoned to move the thread to the right forum hopefully soon.

Quote:
You should, next time, post it under the Rules forum of the appropriate game.

But first search the game's Rules forum to see if the answer is already there, to avoid posting a duplicate thread, and to possibly find your answer quicker.

Quote:
(And I don't know the answer.)

(Sadly neither do I.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread to the Arkham Horror: The Card Game forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotesque Statue kicks in when you "would reveal" a token, and allows you to "ignore" one token. The ignored token is therefor never revealed, and does not inflict Horror. If both tokens are Major Arcana, you still only take one Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
If both tokens are Major Arcana, you still only take one Horror.

I've never heard those tokens referred to as "Major Arcana," but of course in retrospect it makes perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Any time a token is "ignored" or "canceled," you treat it as if it had never been revealed at all. So token effects don't trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
bd flory wrote:
Any time a token is "ignored" or "canceled," you treat it as if it had never been revealed at all. So token effects don't trigger.

Agreed with you on "ignored".

Would like a citation on the "cancelled" one please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cancel
Some card abilities can "cancel" other card or game effects. Cancel abilities interrupt the initiation of an effect, and prevent the effect from initiating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackhalo23 wrote:
bd flory wrote:

There is an entire entry in the RRG dedicated to "Cancel"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackhalo23 wrote:
bd flory wrote:

Greetings,

Great question!

If a token is “canceled" or “ignored” in its entirety (such as through Wendy’s ability or Grotesque Statue’s ability), you should treat that token as if it had never been revealed at all. All of the token’s effects are canceled or ignored, and any effects that would trigger off of that type of chaos token being revealed (like Baseball Bat) do not trigger. Abilities like this should almost always be followed up by revealing a new token to take its place.

Hypothetically, if a token is only partially ignored or canceled (for example, if a card effect said “Ignore this token’s modifier,” or “Cancel the effects of this token”), that would be a different story. In that case the token still would have been revealed, and only part of it is ignored or canceled. In such a case, effects that would trigger off of that type of token being revealed would trigger.

So, if you used Wendy’s ability to cancel a Skull token, and then drew a 0 token, Baseball Bat would not get discarded, because the Skull token was canceled in its entirety.

Thanks! =)
------------------------------------------------
Matthew Newman

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/235861-baseba...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now that we're on this tangent, it's a good time to note that Rex's Curse does not say to ignore or cancel the first token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
CSerpent wrote:
And now that we're on this tangent, it's a good time to note that Rex's Curse does not say to ignore or cancel the first token.

Indeed not, and that "if you fail" effects are lasting effects, and persist through the new draw. You can even have multiple "if you fail" effects trigger when you fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.