Steve Dara
msg tools
mbmbmb
A question that came up in my current PBF... I (the Empire) attacked a lone Rebel Trooper with a quite superior army. My opponent, Arontje, played the 'Hold Them Back' card instantly killing one of my armored tanks, which I responded with 'Support of the 501st' returning the favor. Now say he used the bottom half instead and dealt one black damage to my Stormtrooper. Could I opt to roll and try to block the damage despite already having killed his trooper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
I'll just repost what I said in the PbF thread (for those who don't follow that game), even though it has a bit of a late-night rambling quality to it.

Perf wrote:
Ha, interesting question!

I would say yes, but I freely admit it's just a hunch.

Rules say that you only resolve Ground Battle step "if both factions have ground units in the system". Now, the base game rulebook and expansion rulebook use different terms ("Ground Battle step" and "round of ground battle", respectively) to describe what is basically the same thing. Or is it...? So it's nigh impossible to establish what is the exact timing when the rules say that tactic cards are resolved "before the first step of [...] each round of ground battle". Is it before Ground Battle step - or just before the first step of Ground Battle step, but during Ground Battle step already? It is not the best idea to decide that something that in the base game was a step (Ground Battle), now apparently consists of steps itself...!

Ugh. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is yes, play out the full ground assault phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
Sure ~ the trooper isn't dead. He's in the battle with a damage counter on him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Cinematic Combat Sequence taken from the Rebellion Expansion Rulebook:

Quote:
Before the first step of each round of space battle and each round of ground battle, resolve the following steps:

*sequence of advanced tactic cards printed here*

...Players then continue resolving the battle as normal,
starting with the current player rolling dice to resolve his
attack.

Even though the only unit(s) the opponent had been removed before rolling, the combat sequence has been initiated and you still go through the entire sequence of steps in resolving a round of combat in the appropriate theatre, which would include rolling dice giving you the chance to heal any damaged units from tactic cards. You only evaluate if combat has concluded (and hence no more rolling) in a specific theatre at the full end of a combat round.

I'd definetly say you would get to roll to see if your trooper survives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another way of looking at it - if you stop the combat immediately at then without rolling, that would mean you aren't resolving the rest of the combat round, either (including the removal of casualties).

IE, if you skip step 1, you'd have to skip all the rest of the steps, too (including step 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
Here's another way of looking at it - if you stop the combat immediately at then without rolling, that would mean you aren't resolving the rest of the combat round, either (including the removal of casualties).

IE, if you skip step 1, you'd have to skip all the rest of the steps, too (including step 5).

Good point, although strictly speaking, in expansion there are no longer steps 4 and 5 of attack during combat.

Instead, units are destroyed "at the end of that round of battle (after all units in that theater have attacked)", so the thing you pointed out still holds water anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.