Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Altiplano» Forums » General

Subject: Access to good tile types - is this one of the key features of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Butcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really looking forward to playing this.

It is possible that some of the goods types you will never have access to. For example, if your fellow players take all the Cacao producing extensions and both the Cacao and Glass boats you will not have any Cacao or Glass all game!!! (Unless I am mistaken you can only get Glass via the Glass boat or trading Cacao in the forest)

A simpler example would be using the 2 fish => 1 stone space. Getting two fish is impossible unless you (a) start as the fisherman, (b) start with a role which gives you a fish and then you get the fish boat, or (c) get one of the extensions which lets you gain fish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcb1962 wrote:
I am really looking forward to playing this.

It is possible that some of the goods types you will never have access to. For example, if your fellow players take all the Cacao producing extensions and both the Cacao and Glass boats you will not have any Cacao or Glass all game!!! (Unless I am mistaken you can only get Glass via the Glass boat or trading Cacao in the forest)

There are 4 cacao-producing extensions plus 2 boats which give you access to cacao. I guess it is unlikely (but possible) that you won't be able to produce cacao and/or glass. Trading cacao for glass is a base-action available to everyone.

mcb1962 wrote:
A simpler example would be using the 2 fish => 1 stone space. Getting two fish is impossible unless you (a) start as the fisherman, (b) start with a role which gives you a fish and then you get the fish boat, or (c) get one of the extensions which lets you gain fish.

If you don't have access to 2 fish, you will need to use one of the other extensions:
- Spend 2 coins for 1 cacao (market)
- Receive 1 cacao for 2 food (forest) or
- Receive 1 cacao for 1 food (forest)

It is your task (and your challenge) in this game to adapt to the different starting conditions and make the best (most points) of it! ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Butcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I really like the idea of having to make the most of your starting position and also the pricing mechanism for the extensions. Wait too long for the price to drop and someone else will steal it.

The whole idea of just putting one good in the lowest warehouse positions and then ignoring so you can get more VPs from the higher ones (of different types) seems a really clever idea.

I made the false assumption that because there were 10 boats and 10 round good tile types that there would be one of each. My bad.

It may be unfair to ask this, but do you prefer this to Orleans, or do you just see them as two completely different games? (They certainly appear that way)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcb1962 wrote:

I made the false assumption that because there were 10 boats and 10 round good tile types that there would be one of each. My bad.

After reading this... I am not too sure about which goods are on the boat cards and how many of which type are in the game. I am almost certain that there are no boats for money or food or corn. Which would leave 7 different goods for 10 cards. I am not 100% sure about the distribution.

mcb1962 wrote:

It may be unfair to ask this, but do you prefer this to Orleans, or do you just see them as two completely different games? (They certainly appear that way)

I am not sure how to answer that. Yes, both games are from designer Reiner Stockhausen and yes, both games use the bag-building-mechanism. But I think they are astonishingly different although they share the central mechanism. I like both! (And I have not yet played the final game with all the nice graphics from Klemens Franz. So ask me again 6 months from now! )
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.