Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Stewart
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
First time TI player who is the rules reader/teacher for a game of all first timers next Saturday. So pardon the possible noobishness of this query.

The short version of this question is: If you are executing the primary ability of a strategy card, are all the steps mandatory?

So, I read the entry in the rules reference about the politics strategy card and it states: 57.2 "To resolve the primary ability on the 'Politics' strategy card, the active player resolves the following effects in order: I. The active player chooses any player that does not have the speaker token. He may choose himself as long as he does not have the speaker token. The chosen player places the speaker token in his play area; he is now the speaker."

Then I read rule 71.3 regarding strategy cards: "When a player is resolving either the primary or secondary abilities from a strategy card, he resolves each of the ability’s effects from top to bottom."

Nowhere can I find language that would indicate that any part of the primary ability of a strategy card is optional; a distinct lack of the word "may". If that is the case, the only way a person could retain the speaker token from one round to another would be for nobody to select the Politics card. I had thought that the speaker could simply take the politics card and then skip that first step. This seems like it should work as I see primary abilities on other strategy cards that almost have to be optional. (On Tech, the "Spend 6 resources to research one technology." What if you don't want to spend those resources?)

Anyway, maybe I'm just being pedantic and overthinking the language, but I submit this to the hivemind. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question.

The speaker token must be moved and that you don't have to buy a technology.

I agree with you that leaving the may off the technology strategy card is deceptive. However, the rules for the technology strategy card explicitly say that "he may spend six resources." Whereas the rules for politics do not say may.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weyoun42 wrote:
If that is the case, the only way a person could retain the speaker token from one round to another would be for nobody to select the Politics card.

That is my understanding as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfischer wrote:
weyoun42 wrote:
If that is the case, the only way a person could retain the speaker token from one round to another would be for nobody to select the Politics card.

That is my understanding as well.

Mine as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
weyoun42 wrote:
He may choose himself as long as he does not have the speaker token.

There is no need to nitpick the rules. They very clearly specified that you cannot keep the speaker token.

If you were allowed to keep it, they could have simply omitted that sentence.

The intention of the designer is clearly that you cannot keep it, you should not try to find a loop in the rules to prevent that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marťa Ohlodálek
msg tools
Yeah, the wording on Tech strategy card is wrong, and it is mandatory to resolve every step of the strategy card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always refer to the Rules Reference when in doubt. Its detailed rules supersede the simpler phrasing elsewhere.

In the case of Politics, there is no wiggle room: the Speaker token moves to a new person, period.

In the case of Technology, it's stated that you can research a tech for free and may spend 6 resources for another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burris
Canada
flag msg tools
As others have said, the rules reference takes precedence over the card text and are unambiguous in this case. However, the Technology SC is poorly-worded. Good catch, I had not noticed this before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.