Hide
9 Posts

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game balanced at high number of players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Tan
msg tools
Obviously low number of players and low number of cards per player makes it easier for the investigators to win and high number of players and high number of cards per player makes it easier for the murderer (and accomplice) to win.

I've only played this game with 5 or 6 players.

With 5 players, I found that 4 cards per player is too hard for the murderer and 5 cards per player is just right.

With 6 players, I found that 4 cards per player is just right.

I've never played with 7+ players but it seems to me that it would be too easy for the murderer with high number of players.

Is the game balanced, even with 9-12 players? To give the investigators a chance, do you just give each person 3 cards instead of 4 at a certain point? Or how about make it so that the witness knows exactly who the murderer is (instead of murderer + accomplice)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
pikabear wrote:
Obviously low number of players and low number of cards per player makes it easier for the investigators to win and high number of players and high number of cards per player makes it easier for the murderer (and accomplice) to win.

I've only played this game with 5 or 6 players.

With 5 players, I found that 4 cards per player is too hard for the murderer and 5 cards per player is just right.

With 6 players, I found that 4 cards per player is just right.

I've never played with 7+ players but it seems to me that it would be too easy for the murderer with high number of players.

Is the game balanced, even with 9-12 players? To give the investigators a chance, do you just give each person 3 cards instead of 4 at a certain point? Or how about make it so that the witness knows exactly who the murderer is (instead of murderer + accomplice)?

Deception plays just fine with slightly larger player counts.
Simply adjust the number of clue cards dealt to each player based on the skill of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What clue card number would you recommend for different player counts?

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
What clue card number would you recommend for different player counts?

robot
Every group will be different. Just start with the default clue count. If you're finding its too easy, add a card. If you're finding its too hard, remove a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically do 5 of each color per player regardless of player count. Once in a while we will up it to 6 if the murder can't get a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 4 players (2 investigators + 1 murderer) we use 6 cards of each type per player, with 5 players 5 cards, with 6 or more players 4 cards.

With 7 or more players we also add in the Witness and Accomplice roles, which evens out the game for larger group (altough we don't usually play with more than 9 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after everyone gets clue/means cards, but before role cards are handed out ,remind everyone to look over the cards and to NOT pick anything 'unique' if they are the murderer.

If there's only one 'sharp implement' but many 'blunt objects' - don't choose the sharp thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick t
msg tools
mbmb
has anyone played this at 12 players? Is it too many? Thoughts on how to make it successful at this player count? thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T
Canada
flag msg tools
My group played this on separate nights. First time was with 7 people. The murderer was found in 3 of 4 games - using 4 of each type of card per person. We had to increase it to 5 cards of each type per person to get the solve rate down to 50%

The second night, we played with 12 people. We started with 4 cards of each type per person. We couldn't find the murderer for the first 4 games. We had to change to 3 cards of each type, and be somewhat loose on the Forensic Scientist being able to discard certain clue tiles (if it was completely irrelevant to the means and clue), before we were able to identify the murderer.

I wish the game instructions came with rules based on the number of players.

Side note....the cards really should have been made bigger. People cannot see the cards when the game gets bigger than 6-8 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.