Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Row G... painfully weak but cheap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just starting to play with the expansion. Row G seems notably weaktastic:


Improvised defenses help you when the enemy is weak. I can see that sheltering you from early opponents and a terrible king roll midgame. Slightly. But in rounds IV and V, when you really need defense, you had better have built something else. Really, this is fine for a Level I building, but...

Recruiting center makes a bad deal (2 goods for one soldier) a smidge better. Comboed with barracks & inn, it's nice, but there's much easier ways to get defense. Like palisades, and smithies, and stables, and towers...

Training camp gets you an extra 1 military, some of the time. Seems very weak for a Tier III. See above.

Military academy makes crap king rolls... less likely. If this means you can drop a zero defense token and roll anyway, then OK, that's nice. But it can still backfire, whereas Fortress & Wizard's Guild always work.

So we have a military track with conditional-only benefits, and terrible points. Why? I guess because the buildings are super-cheap, they can help you keep up in the building race, but even with all five points there, the row is only worth 11 points.

Not convinced this row is worth the space it takes up on my table. Convince me otherwise?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
Just starting to play with the expansion. Row G seems notably weaktastic:


Improvised defenses help you when the enemy is weak. I can see that sheltering you from early opponents and a terrible king roll midgame. Slightly. But in rounds IV and V, when you really need defense, you had better have built something else. Really, this is fine for a Level I building, but...
Agreed

dr.mrow wrote:
Recruiting center makes a bad deal (2 goods for one soldier) a smidge better. Comboed with barracks & inn, it's nice, but there's much easier ways to get defense. Like palisades, and smithies, and stables, and towers...
Mostly agree. However, even though the Buildings have permanence, sometimes, getting temp soldiers is great "in a pinch", or if it means the opportunity cost lets you build a better building instead (on account buildings that provide strength typically don't do much else).

dr.mrow wrote:
Training camp gets you an extra 1 military, some of the time. Seems very weak for a Tier III. See above.
I'll start off with my own "see above" (my reply above), but yeah, this seems to conflict with that. Either Do Recr. Center and go heavier on the temp soldiers, or do this (and bulk up via buildings), but not both

dr.mrow wrote:
Military academy makes crap king rolls... less likely. If this means you can drop a zero defense token and roll anyway, then OK, that's nice. But it can still backfire, whereas Fortress & Wizard's Guild always work.
Agreed. There is an FAQ or part of the rulebook that address how to use this if you opt using soldier tokens instead.. MIDEDIT: I remember, roll a D3 (aka, D6 divide by 2), and compare that vs. what token you chosen

dr.mrow wrote:
So we have a military track with conditional-only benefits, and terrible points. Why? I guess because the buildings are super-cheap, they can help you keep up in the building race, but even with all five points there, the row is only worth 11 points.

Not convinced this row is worth the space it takes up on my table. Convince me otherwise?
IIRC, the alternative row G was better?

Otherwise
1) not all rows have to be equal.
2) I suppose this is if you can't even afford row A (which is worth mucho pts)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

1) not all rows have to be equal.


I know, but we already have the Fortress & Wizard's rows for defense + slightly different defense. We needed a dedicated row for slightly cheaper conditional, unreliable defense?

ackmondual wrote:

I remember, roll a D3 (aka, D6 divide by 2), and compare that vs. what token you chosen


Which, I must say, kinda sucks. You can count on it being at least 1, but that's only important the turn you play your zero. And sometimes it might help you win best military, as long as nobody took the reasonable step or building a row that gave them unconditional military instead...

I'm thinking I might print extra copies of the alternate row G and use those instead.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

1) not all rows have to be equal.


I know, but we already have the Fortress & Wizard's rows for defense + slightly different defense. We needed a dedicated row for slightly cheaper conditional, unreliable defense?

ackmondual wrote:

I remember, roll a D3 (aka, D6 divide by 2), and compare that vs. what token you chosen


Which, I must say, kinda sucks. You can count on it being at least 1, but that's only important the turn you play your zero. And sometimes it might help you win best military, as long as nobody took the reasonable step or building a row that gave them unconditional military instead...

I'm thinking I might print extra copies of the alternate row G and use those instead.



I'd like to hear from others as well. In the meantime, at the very least, alt-row G looks more interesting...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
Avatar
mb
Trying building Row A and Row G together (and the minimum 3 battle buildings in Rows D&E). Row G is a cheap way to cover your defense and still afford the super-powerful Row A.

Edit: We play with the die for King's Reinforcements. It may be that the Military Academy is notably worse with soldier tokens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.