Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a penalty for disengaging from more than one enemy, or do enemies pay more to disengage from more than one hero?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two rules you can play with regarding Disengaging:

Numeric superiority:
If the heroes involved in a battle are greater in number with respect to the enemies, the hero will have a bonus +1 to their die roll for each hero greater in number, valid only for this test. If a hero is engaged by more enemies, increase the difficulty of this test by +1 for each enemy greater in number.

I know this might be confusing so I'll try my best to explain this

For this explanation: A=Apprentice, N=Novice, S=Squire, E= Enemy. Let's say also in this example that every Hero is Engaged.

A
E E
S N E

In this example if the Squire wanted to disengage from the one enemy that is in base contact with him (remember Base Contact means orthogonally adjacent with the bases touching), since the Apprentice is also in base contact with this enemy (outnumbering this enemy by one) the Squire will get a +1 bonus to his die roll for this Disengage test.

Alternatively, if the Novice wanted to Disengage he would have a tougher time, since their are two enemies engaging him (outnumbering the Novice by one), he would have the difficulty of this test increased by +1. He would need a 5 instead of a 4 to successfully disengage.

Faster: If the Rapidity characteristic of the hero attempting to disengage themselves is greater than that of their opponent, they can re-roll a single time. The comparison is always made with the enemy with the highest Ra in a base contact.

There are no penalties that involve paying more AP to successfully disengage from enemies. Also, Enemies will never use the Disengage action. They can freely disengage from a Hero anytime and it's just treated as normal movement (1AP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bernardini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
as usual perfect analysis David

Luca LMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Luca! Your level of activity on this forum and everyone in this community is the reason for my level of understanding in the world of Nova Aetas.

Thank you everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
COVFEFE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
David, thanks for the clarification. That is quite different from how I read it in the rulebook. Waiting for the updated version I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem at all Chris. This realization of this rule was not an easy one to figure out and has a bit of history to it.

Even in the latest revision of the rulebook (Version 4.3) it still reads:

Numeric superiority: If the heroes involved in a battle are greater in number with respect to the enemies, the hero will have a bonus +1 die, valid only for this test. If a hero is engaged by more enemies, increase the difficulty of by +1.

When I was slowly but surely making my way through my first campaign of this game, I stumbled upon this thread of Stephan Beal's titled Engaged with multiple enemies (and flying engagement). After Stephan and me had a conversation about this great question of his, Luca chimed in and gave us the clarification we both we're desperately seeking at the time.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26180731#26180731

When I saw Luca's clarification regarding this, it quickly dawned on me that what he was referring to was the rule for Numeric Superiority. As you can see in his clarification the test does increase in difficulty with the number of enemies outnumbering the hero.

With this realization, I came to the conclusion that what the rules were trying to say is that the opposite must also be true. In a situation where Heroes are outnumbering the enemy (in base contact with the enemy), the Hero trying to Disengage would get a +1 bonus to their die roll for each Hero greater in number with respect to the enemy.

This is how I played it and it made for a truly great game. I got so caught up with my game that I forgot that this error in the Rulebook existed (and still does exist) regarding Numeric Superiority. I forgot to ask about it in the Errata or Rulebook thread on here.

I just posted a revision to this rule in the Errata thread on this forum. Hopefully, it is easier to understand and coincides with the designer's intent for this rule.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27180206#27180206

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.