Codenames» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can team give spymaster a strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Orah
United States
California
flag msg tools
Are you allowed to give your team’s clue giver a strategy? We had one leftover clue from the previous round. We thought the answer was “giant” but were not sure. For the next turn, could we say “if it is actually Giant then only give a clue with one answer, if it’s not Giant then give a clue with 2 answers”. The clue giver of course would not confirm or deny agreement with the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
This comes up.

It's almost unavoidable, but I prefer to phrase it differently "well, we're not sure about it, but our next bonus guess is almost certainly going to be 'giant'".

The spymaster can then use that information however they feel is best - which gets you to much the same result, but without explicitly breaking communication rules.

The thing I have a problem with is giving the spymaster any explicit "if A then B, if X then Y" instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ben. Talking about what you are thinking is ok but IMO giving the spymaster explicit instructions is not permissible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Communication should be one way. It's hard to avoid in natural conversation, but it certainly shouldn't be specifically done like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
It's almost unavoidable, but I prefer to phrase it differently "well, we're not sure about it, but our next bonus guess is almost certainly going to be 'giant'".

Even that seems borderline to me; why would you say anything like that to the spymaster at all?

Slightly related--we've had cases where players have announced, "if FOO were our word, she would have given BAR as a clue." At that point, I'd say it's poor form for the spymaster to give BAR as a clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

Even that seems borderline to me; why would you say anything like that to the spymaster at all?

Well, more to the point it is the kind of thing that we confirm among ourselves all the time - what our next guess should be. You can't not communicate that to the spymaster unless you are playing in different rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fox

Michigan
msg tools
mb
This only could be legal if the clue relates to giant. If it's some random word like ball, the spymaster should have a number of related words in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there a billion threads asking if BGGverse if one can go against the spirit of the game?

I thought we play games to experience that spirit! Not bend the rules and corrupt it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Why are there a billion threads asking if BGGverse if one can go against the spirit of the game?

I thought we play games to experience that spirit! Not bend the rules and corrupt it!

someone pee in your cheerios this morning? Lets just ridicule new members for asking questions.

you forgot to point out the several threads asking the same question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:

Gamers are going to game the rules. mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it is actually in the rules that you can not clue your spymaster like that.
So I would say it not only is against the spirit of the game, but it's also against the rules.

The best you can do is say where your mind is at, you can say things like "I think it's either (word) or (word)."

But you can't ever tell the spymaster how to give a clue.
They have to formulate their clues based on hearing what answers their guessers are saying.

There in lies the challenge of the game.
Getting your team to understand your clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.