Hide
7 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Spin Off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Lakoduk
msg tools
I recently got an email asking what kind of spin off game you would like to see for Smash Up. This made me curious what others thought about the subject.

Personally I don't think any of the factions are really strong enough to stand alone in a bloated gaming market. How many games do we see get released a year with themes such as Cthulhu, Zombies, Wizards...

There is one game I would like to see though. I'd love it if they made a game similar to Heroscape using the various factions in Smash Up.

So what about you? What kind of spin off game would you be interested in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a game like Krosmaster Arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought an anime would be perfect for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of factions.

A song about smashing bases.

Wargame would be a natural match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would take two routes:

1. Focus on one of the more unique factions/combos, such as Bear Cavalry, Kitties, Sharknadoes, Plant Zombies, etc. to make a strategic game. Maybe Everyone is a manipulative Kitty with 9 lives competing to sit in the arm chair, or maybe Bear Cavalry must face off against walking sharks in an area control game.

2. Take a single representative minion/personality from each faction and create a game where players work together with their unique character and abilities to accomplish a goal. Doesn't have to be cooperative; perhaps players get control of 2 or more factions and play competitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
TechnoGolem wrote:
Personally I don't think any of the factions are really strong enough to stand alone in a bloated gaming market. How many games do we see get released a year with themes such as Cthulhu, Zombies, Wizards...in?

I wholeheartedly agree. The Smash Up factions are based on tropes and are basically parodies. Making a game about one of these factions and treating them as property of the Smash Up creators doesn't feel right to me, considering their popularity is based on the popularity of the things they reference. You can make a game about aliens, vampires, man-eating plants or whatever, but how do any of these benefit from being "as seen in Smash Up"? They're not as seen in Smash Up, they're as seen in the referenced source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Frost
msg tools
I would love some Kind of YU Gi OH Anime with Smash up.
Animated Creatures or so.

Or something like this ps2 Game where the Cards came to live with the Camera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.