Subject: Five players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we played PL1 a fifth player joined us after a couple of plays. We didn't change the gameplay, just added an extra character.
Does anyone have an idea of wether this will be possible with PL2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How was that? Was it hard to find cures when each character got fewer turns to collect cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Beach
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is absolutely going to make the game harder as you get fewer turns to find cures. Its hard to answer without playing the game, but I would imagine it would be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's harder playing with five players. But my group is full of super analytics and we love the aspect of optimizing our game. So it's helps and we didn't loose that many games.

Actually coming to thing of it, we did some little small adjustments with regards to setup.
As I recall it. In vanilla you:
1. Infect
2. Hand out cards
3. Pick your character

We played like this:
1. Infect
2. Pick your character (a lot of us picked the same from game to game)
3. Switch place around the table

The idea was that we could optimize our first round if we picked characters according to our playing order, but we really wanted to keep our characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found Season 1 played perfectly fine with 5. I even wrote up a long, detailed set of posts regarding how we found it played. You can read about it here. Go here if you want to skip right to where I start my posts.

Note, the only difference we did was pick relationships immediately. Not even sure that was necessary but felt it evened out the game since with 5 you'd wait a while before you could utilize the relationships. Some of us had also played Season 1 with 2-players and that the relationships in general made the game in 2-player mode much easier. It'd be interesting to do some stats to see if that is the case.

I have no idea if Season 2 will be playable with 5 and unfortunately our 5 player group is down to 4 as one guy had to drop out for a variety of reasons. But I would be interested to know if it does play with 5 in case our friend decides to rejoin just to do Season 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
jyhne wrote:
We played like this:
1. Infect

We did this too, but left the cards at the table location they were dealt to. That way you're not actually re-ordering any random game elements, just which players control them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
jyhne wrote:
We played like this:
1. Infect

We did this too, but left the cards at the table location they were dealt to. That way you're not actually re-ordering any random game elements, just which players control them.

We have agree that it was a little cheat to play it like this. So I don't think we will do the same with season 2.
I just hope it will be playable with five players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zete wrote:
We found Season 1 played perfectly fine with 5. I even wrote up a long, detailed set of posts regarding how we found it played. You can read about it here. Go here if you want to skip right to where I start my posts.

Note, the only difference we did was pick relationships immediately. Not even sure that was necessary but felt it evened out the game since with 5 you'd wait a while before you could utilize the relationships. Some of us had also played Season 1 with 2-players and that the relationships in general made the game in 2-player mode much easier. It'd be interesting to do some stats to see if that is the case.

I have no idea if Season 2 will be playable with 5 and unfortunately our 5 player group is down to 4 as one guy had to drop out for a variety of reasons. But I would be interested to know if it does play with 5 in case our friend decides to rejoin just to do Season 2.

Thank you
It was a great read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You start the game with 5 playable characters, so mechanically it's feasible. No idea how it works out in the long run or how the game's difficulty is affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ van der Molen
Malaysia
georgetown
penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it would be reasonable to make sure you have 10 cards between Pandemic cards in each Player cards deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand you correctly, that would be a huge change to the game and potentially unbalance the game.
Take a look at this thread if you would like to read my experience with five players.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1874349/playable-5-players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Brinkmann
msg tools
It can prove harder to get a cure, although we have a player who enjoys being the dispatcher (with the "Pilot" upgrade, and if you don't have that upgrade on your dispatcher you're doing it wrong) so she'll usually get us in position to make trades easier. We played 1 game of PL1 so far with 5 players and barely won but the reason we were staring down the barrel of a loss was because of outbreaks - we got extremely unlucky with ..... the other infection shall we say; had an outbreak before our colonel could contain it, then an epidemic hit and the next set of infection were the same cities that broke out before because of course they effing were.

Having that one extra player covering another area of the board and/or clearing a certain objective can help offset the difficulty of the card distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.