27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else who would like to see this as an LCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay wozny
msg tools

As a primarily solo gamer, fan of the Lone Wolf gamebooks and dedicated player of the Arkham and Lord of the Rings LCGs I can't help but look at at 7th Continent and think "Man, this would be really cool as an LCG!" I know that the creators have said this will not come to retail and will have only limited avaialbility on their web store after the KS. I also know that they have suggested in an interview that the current expansion could be the end of 7th Continent in favor of taking the system into a different setting (sci--fi or fantasy).

I am woefully ignorant of what that kind of distribution would look like on the business side, but as a player, it seems super fun! I imagine starting out on an island or on a derelict freighter or maybe a central city(base set). Every other month the area expands or changes with the new small expansion. It wouldn't always just need to be lateral expansion, but could include distnct areas that get built as needed. For instance, if the inital adventure takes place in a fantasy city and card #214 has a sewer grate on it. Adventure pack #3 includes a replacement for card #214 (214a) that allows a separate map of the sewer system to be built (kind of how you load into buildings/dungeons in the Elder Scrolls games). Or whole sections could be temporarily (or permanently) replaced; Adventure pack #8 replaces all of the terrain cards in the Peaceful Valley with lava-themed versions due to erupting volcano.

As I write this, it seems like it would probably be more linear than the 7th Continet. Certainly not a fully thought out plan, but seems like it could be a decent fit....also, I like getting fun things in the mail!

Disclaimer: I'] a new KS Rookie backer. I have not played the game so could be way off base about how this would work or how the game plays.

Apology: I did a cursory search to see if this had been extensively discussed recently and didn't come up with much. Sorry, if this has already been beaten to death.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
Trialus wrote:
Anyone else who would like to see this as an LCG?

Not me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay wozny
msg tools
Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
Trialus wrote:

Not me.

Me neither.
I've already thrown too much money at Arkham Horror. I don't want to tell designers that milking me is okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple

Harjumaa
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not mind if the deck expansions would be released in the future, but it doesn't really work as an LCG.

Best they can do is have some kind of stock available (and order reprints) if there's a demand in the future. I would hate something like this to become 'grail game'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could release more stand-alone curses that cover new areas of terrain in packs. But it almost certainly wouldn't be commercially viable. Printing massive amounts of it at once is probably the only way it works out cost-wise.

Apart from that -- how many more cards can this game realistically get before it gets stale?
I don't think I need any more material for this game ever, especially not if I back the new big expansion (haven't yet decided).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I guess you could release more stand-alone curses that cover new areas of terrain in packs. But it almost certainly wouldn't be commercially viable. Printing massive amounts of it at once is probably the only way it works out cost-wise.

Apart from that -- how many more cards can this game realistically get before it gets stale?

If/when it gets stale, change the setting. Instead of exploring a continent, maybe you're exploring a haunted mansion or an abandoned ship or a star system...

Within the existing 7C, there's still the ocean floor left to explore, as well as countless temples, crypts, and caverns.

In an LCG format, updates/expansions could apply to an existing part of the world or introduce completely new ones (reducing potential compatibility issues by making them such that they simply can't be mixed in with each other (except perhaps for skills and items)).

Whether or not it'd be financially viable to do that way, i can't say, but i'd gladly give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trialus wrote:

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not even sure it would have worked as an LCG. Certainly I wouldn't have bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy it. Of course I no longer buy anymore LCG.

A) Tried it, got expensive and stopped.
B) I'm not fond if never ending releases There are plenty of awesome games, and more every week, that that play very well without never ending expansions, etc.
C) Finally I really do not like constant rule changes, new mechanics and things that eventually make a great game so complex you must have a rule book open in front of you to play. Many games have started simple and intuitive only to require a tome of rules, FAQ, condex, oracle and cheatsheet to follow the card interactions.

No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how this might seem like an interesting idea for an LCG, but that would keep me away. One LCG (Arkham Horror) is more than enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Absolutey no!

One of the few reasons why i'm going to spend this high amount of money on the game is that i know that after this i'm done.
I have all i need for hours and hours and hours of game..

No LCG please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have some good points

Exo Desta wrote:
Yeah it can be an abusive relationship. When you are urged to buy more than one copy of the base game, that's when you know you are in for a ride.

Haha, I don't know if you're saying this because you know I play X-Wing. but good point.

Exo Desta wrote:
In the case of 7C though, it might actually have worked. Imagine it: it's an exploration game. You just keep adding more places to explore. The 7th Continent would never have had to end.

I might agree that of the games that could be a good LCG, 7th Continent would be among them. However, I really don't want to get back in to an LCG regardless of how good. Also between FOMO and being a somewhat compulsive completionist I don't want an open ended expense. If they release it, I'll wish them luck but I don't buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
An LCG would have been a superior idea to leaving this thing on kickstarter as a unicorn game for scalpers to feed off of for the next hundred years..

Maybe it would have ended up being a few more bucks, when it was all said and done, but you'd also have the chance to buy what bits you wanted, and leave the ones you don't, being that you could always swing back around and pick up anything you left behind.

Yes, Poulp. For your next projects, please bring us some LCGs, if you must! Instead of your ridiculous current business model.

I do not think making the 7th continent and all that it entails an LCG would have been a wise decision.

NOW the game system/mechanics? That I could understand. The system could fit the LCG model but you'd lose a bit of the exploration and aimless wandering that happens now.

With that being said, I don't think I would have bought into 7th Continent if it was an LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why LCG makes sense here. What you're describing are expansions. I suppose LCG releases are technically expansions, but they tend to come with new rules, new characters and new abilities that allow you to deck-build. I don't really see deck-building as part of 7th Continent. What you are describing are just a series of regular expansions to build out the Continent vs. shipping it all together.

I'd be fine with SP releasing expansions, but I don't think that requires anything like the LCG model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes and no.

Yes, I think that the future of the system is to create smaller core set (like 400cards) and follow that with adventure expansion packs. 1 expansion pack = 1 new adventure + some extra general content. I can envision distribution model with new adventure released quarterly. On top of that a big expansion each year. More like Eldritch Horror / Mansions of Madness distribution model.

No, for sure not in the form of FFG LCG. The packs are too small and offer very little content and released too often. This forces a linear progressions of the story and doesn't allow for freeform exploration. It also causes problem with availability (I am still trying to get all packs in Dunwich Cycle for AH:CG).

In the end I would be happy with something "like LCG" but with bigger packs released less frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Exo Desta wrote:

In the case of 7C though, it might actually have worked. Imagine it: it's an exploration game. You just keep adding more places to explore. The 7th Continent would never have had to end.

But is that really exploration, or is it just visiting the new place from that deck?

Part of the appeal of this game is that the entire continent is there for you to explore. Part of the challenge is to figure out where you're meant to go, because there's stuff to do in every direction, just not all of it relevant.

The LCG model would by necessity make it more linear: if I buy a new pack, I'm going to want to know how to play it.

All that said, an LCG model would suit a more linear, story-driven variation on this game that could still be a lot of fun. But it would be a pretty different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N

(Next letter of my answer to be made available next month)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
N

I'm willing to pay $19.99 for your next letter! Just grab my money NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:
teg2 wrote:
N

I'm willing to pay $19.99 for your next letter! Just grab my money NOW!

Gladly ... my PayPal account is ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Wachta
Poland
flag msg tools
Not me. Now it's soo expensive. If it'd be LCG it'd be way too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I changed my mind. If this was an LCG it could save me a lot of money since I wouldn't be buying any of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.