Tam A
msg tools
mb
We started playing this yesterday and have notched up 6 plays so far.

I love everything about it, except for that movement rule where you, as the active player, MUST be in a vehicle to pilot it.

Thematically, these guys have the (literal) Brains to be able to live in space-stations, create amazing vehicles and operate an international counter-espionage agency, but they can't get on the radio to say, "Penelope, can you meet me in Asia, I need some help with a fire..."?

It's so painful to have to drag the other NPC's around the board just to get their bonuses, as opposed to smartly ordering them around to "meet" you in hotspots together.

I hate house-ruling games, as I want to trust the time and play testing put in by the creators (especially of this calibre!) - but we tried it out today where every player can spend an action to use a built in "radio" and ask other Thunderbird vehicles to move (we still lost!), but it seemed to flow better thematically. We only used it to allow NPC's to take orders, and we didn't allow non-inhabited vehicles to move remotely either.

My question to the more seasoned players is: would this change make it too easy in the long run as we get better?

I don't mind the game becoming a bit easier overall as there are still so many difficulty levels to climb up, but if it effectively breaks the balance down the line, then that would bother me. We really just want to pretend to be the Thunderbirds and have fun rescuing the world - but the rules as they stand make it feel a little too on the nose sometimes, in the sense that the NPC's feel like actual marionettes you have to carry from place to place!

Thanks in advance for any input.

MG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you don't like what this game is really about:
Cleverly combining Vehicles and Player abilities to beat the game.

Since this is a cooperative game, using your house rules would not make it easier for everybody while maintaining a balance, but pushing the win probability way towards the players.

I think the game is well balanced with the rules as they are (I don't see the need to play a cooperative or solo game I will likely win every time).

So I fear you will not have a challenging or fun game this way.
But if the theme alone would carry the game for you, you might want to try anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim S
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you limit it to once per turn, it will make the game a bit easier, but not substantially so, I don't think. And like you said, you can adjust the difficulty level to your liking as you get better. I've played the game several times, and never at a higher than normal difficulty, which feels about right to me with the movement rules as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a game of logistics: managing your resources so that they all arrive at the right place at the right time. If all you have to do on your turn is move any vehicle (rather than the one you're piloting) to the place it's needed you just removed a massive part of the challenge - all you're deciding is which order you're going to deal with the threats and then moving resources to deal with. I'm amazed that you've lost at all! I'm not going to say "don't do this" as it's your game, but I believe that you will break the game if you play it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried playing this way, but I think it would definitely make the whole game a lot easier. Part of the challenge is in getting the right vehicle to the right location at the right time. If you could just move any vehicle on your turn then a lot of missions would become quite simple.
You don't need to maximize all of the bonuses on all of the missions.

As for theme vs game mechanics, when it is your "turn" only your character is active, so only he can move. You do have a kind of radio mechanic available to you: "Hey, on your turn, can you go get Lady P and bring her to South America?"

It's a co-op game, you don't have to be the hero, you're a part of a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to House Rule it, go for it. So far in all the games I've played, its never been an issue. We've accepted its part of the challenge. We enjoy losing as much as we enjoy winning. Its all about how well we did more than the overall outcome for us.

If you are disliking it, one decent strategy we've used is to almost abandon ThunderBird 1, have Thunderbird 2 carry FAB 1 or Thunderbird 4, and carry everyone on the same ship (as this allows transport of 4-5 characters).

Occasionally we will break from the "carryall" to use Thunderbird 3 to deal with the space missions, and if time is short we jump onto Thunderbird 1 (since its speed allows you to move anywhere on Earth in one move). It could solve your problem. Though, by giving up the other Birds, you do lose the benefit of its pilot farming tokens from it.

The other consideration is to use your Logistics Token to get FAB cards as they offer effects similar to what you're looking for. If things are quiet, have Scott sit in Thunderbird 1 and farm em up.

Similarly, you can have Gordon sit in Thunderbird 4 to farm Energy Tokens if there is nothing else to do. This allows him to save an action from one turn, to use it on a later turn. Use his invested pile late game to explode across the map and fix a TONE of problems.

Hope that helps some!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Reeuws
Belgium
Wevelgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played a lot of games so far
moving characters and vehicles around is imo the thing that makes this game so fun
you can make it as difficult as you like because you don't need the support vehicles for disasters (althoug for some it really isn't a luxury to have some bonuses ),you can just build the ones you need for schemes

i even had a games that was over in no time because wi didn't need any support vehicles to solve them,just tokens and persons in certain places

like others say : if you want to house rule movement go for it,but don't go too far so as you lose all challenge to beat the Hood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MiniGuerrilla wrote:

Thematically, these guys have the (literal) Brains to be able to live in space-stations, create amazing vehicles and operate an international counter-espionage agency, but they can't get on the radio to say, "Penelope, can you meet me in Asia, I need some help with a fire..."?

Actually, they're just marionettes! ninja

Thematically, the movement rules do fit the show pretty nicely and there are special F.A.B. cards that let you call some vehicles/characters at specific opportunities.

As mentioned above, doing so all the time would take all the challenge out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tam A
msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies - it’s really interesting how we interpret things so differently. That’s what I love most about this hobby - the diversity of opinion - keeps things fresh and interesting.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played the game quite a bit now, and have just ordered the expansions so I can up the difficulty with the harder level schemes. I would definitely say it gets easier with more plays as you get used to solving the puzzles, and for me the puzzle of getting your active players into the right vehicles to move other players around is a great part of the puzzle. I think your house rule may end up being detrimental in helping you develop the puzzling out skills needed to solve the problems, divert disasters and foil schemes. As people have said, the F.A.B cards do help with moving vehicles and people too. Good luck with future games.

P.s I recommend keeping track of scores as noted in the rule book on page 11 so you can track your improvement in the game. Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.