United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I saw a game on Kickstarter called "Sea Board Game" which looked suspiciously like a pirating of Oink Games's Deep Sea Adventure. I wanted to know if it was a legitimate printing, so I posted a thread in the Deep Sea Adventure forum (called "'Fishy' Kickstarter") asking if other users knew about it, and I posted a link to the KS page as reference.

Other users agreed that it looked suspicious, we were able to report it both to Kickstarter and to Oink Games (who was unaware of the project) and we were successfully able to get the fraudulent Kickstarter campaign canceled. Yay! BGG task force in action, right?

Well, today I am informed that my thread was deleted for "promoting" the Kickstarter page, and that I should have posted it in Press Releases or some such garbage.

To the moderators: PLEASE READ THE THREADS YOU DELETE AND THINK FOR A MOMENT BEFORE DECIDING TO SLAVISHLY FOLLOW BGG RULES.

First of all, the thread was posted in the designated game forum for Deep Sea Adventure. Second, if the moderator had chosen to actually read my words, they would have obviously seen I was not promoting the Kickstarter in any way (I was specifically trying to inquire about its legitimacy and get the project cancelled if proven to be illegitimate). Here is a screen shot of the original thread:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did read it.

Posting about a kickstarter is not permitted in the forums for other games. As you note, a kickstarter link for a game that was not Deep Sea Adventure was posted in the forum for Deep Sea Adventure.

I deleted the thread because it is a kickstarter link in the wrong area, and it was clear that people were taking action on the illegitimacy of the campaign.

It was clear that you were not promoting the campaign in the sense of advocating for it. The thread was still promoting the existence of a kickstarter campaign in an area where it is not permitted. Sorry for any confusion or frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I did read it.

Posting about a kickstarter is not permitted in the forums for other games. As you note, a kickstarter link for a game that was not Deep Sea Adventure was posted in the forum for Deep Sea Adventure.

I deleted the thread because it is a kickstarter link in the wrong area, and it was clear that people were taking action on the illegitimacy of the campaign.

It was clear that you were not promoting the campaign in the sense of advocating for it. The thread was still promoting the existence of a kickstarter campaign in an area where it is not permitted. Sorry for any confusion or frustration.

So if this happens again, where are we allowed to inquire about or direct other users to fraudulent Kickstarters, if not on the game page of the games they are trying to pirate? (There is no game page for the fake, illegitimate game "Sea Board Game")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be brought up in the Kickstarter forums.

I can see an argument for having it in the forum of the copied game without the direct Kickstarter link. But I am wary of opening any backdoors for guerilla marketing exploits. Having a strict line drawn does make edge cases like this one awkward to deal with. Fortunately they have been rare. If kickstarters for illegitimate copies of games gain popularity we will adapt the policy accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, notwithstanding potential piracy issues, it was deleted because it was kickstarter in the wrong forum, not because of the content itself. And it has to be deleted because if kickstarters in wrong forums were merely moved, everyone would have incentive to post in the wrong forum (and trigger all sorts of subscriptions) and have it moved.

Pete (sums up what Matt said)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
It could be brought up in the Kickstarter forums.

I can see an argument for having it in the forum of the copied game without the direct Kickstarter link. But I am wary of opening any backdoors for guerilla marketing exploits. Having a strict line drawn does make edge cases like this one awkward to deal with. Fortunately they have been rare. If kickstarters for illegitimate copies of games gain popularity we will adapt the policy accordingly.

Ok, that makes sense. Why not just move the thread to the Kickstarter forum, then, rather than delete it?

And along similar lines, why are threads like Worst Kickstarter Ever? still allowed in General Gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

And along similar lines, why are threads like Worst Kickstarter Ever? still allowed in General Gaming?

Worst ever doesn't "promote" and (AFAIK) has been given "special dispensation" (or some such) to continue so long as it remains about pointing out bad kickstarters (basically, the mods look the other way and those of us in the thread self-police to make sure no actual promotion occurs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

Hey, there's no need to lash out at poor WKE. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
cbazler wrote:

Worst ever doesn't "promote" and (AFAIK) has been given "special dispensation" (or some such) to continue so long as it remains about pointing out bad kickstarters (basically, the mods look the other way and those of us in the thread self-police to make sure no actual promotion occurs)
That...and the fact that probably some 90% of general gaming subscribers have probably blocked it already.

Pete (has gone back and forth on blocking that thread a few times)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
cbazler wrote:

Ah, but to quote Octavian:

"It was clear that you were not promoting the campaign in the sense of advocating for it. The thread was still promoting the existence of a kickstarter campaign in an area where it is not permitted."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Ah, but to quote Octavian:

"It was clear that you were not promoting the campaign in the sense of advocating for it. The thread was still promoting the existence of a kickstarter campaign in an area where it is not permitted."

Clearly, the existence of KS campaigns is permitted in WKE. Q.E.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Ok, that makes sense. Why not just move the thread to the Kickstarter forum, then, rather than delete it?

There's not as much fun in moving things as there is in deleting them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can all agree here that Kickstarter is the literal worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I think we can all agree here that Kickstarter is the literal worst.
"Worst" being an adjective, I cannot agree that Kickstarter is literally "the worst." Unless you spelled "wurst" wrong, in which case, while it is grammatically more possible that Kickstarter is "the wurst" I must again disagree.

Pete (is literally a pedant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well as far as that goes, I'm confident that this Kickstarter ist die wurst:

Quote:
The Future Sausage is a book that explores the sausage as an edible designed object. The book – or manual, if you will – takes you through all the building blocks of a sausage: From the skin to the innards, with stops along the way to explore issues like moistness, flavouring, glue and preservation. The first and second part of the book looks at the design of the sausage. It catalogues different types of sausages, their various means of construction, and which types of skins can be used, when, and why. The third part contains a descriptive list of lesser-known ingredients, carefully selected for their “future potential”. I hope to introduce you to, or remind you of the many different kinds of edible proteins that exist on this planet. The goal is to move away from our relatively impoverished “supermarket selection” and transform ourselves from Eximius forni-vore (supermarket- eater) back to Omni-vore (all-eater). The last section of the book contains a "sausage matrix", which sums up all the categories and sausage elements previously addressed in the book. These are simplified as icons, textures and colours. With this matrix, you can understand how to construct different types of sausages, while using the similar components and techniques that are normally used in sausage making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Well as far as that goes, I'm confident that this Kickstarter ist die wurst:

Quote:
The Future Sausage is a book that explores the sausage as an edible designed object. The book – or manual, if you will – takes you through all the building blocks of a sausage: From the skin to the innards, with stops along the way to explore issues like moistness, flavouring, glue and preservation. The first and second part of the book looks at the design of the sausage. It catalogues different types of sausages, their various means of construction, and which types of skins can be used, when, and why. The third part contains a descriptive list of lesser-known ingredients, carefully selected for their “future potential”. I hope to introduce you to, or remind you of the many different kinds of edible proteins that exist on this planet. The goal is to move away from our relatively impoverished “supermarket selection” and transform ourselves from Eximius forni-vore (supermarket- eater) back to Omni-vore (all-eater). The last section of the book contains a "sausage matrix", which sums up all the categories and sausage elements previously addressed in the book. These are simplified as icons, textures and colours. With this matrix, you can understand how to construct different types of sausages, while using the similar components and techniques that are normally used in sausage making.

Just think for a moment: that book represents the life work of some human. Just...wow.

Googled "sausage matrix", was not disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
cbazler wrote:

Hey, there's no need to lash out at poor WKE. cry

Worst criticism of Worst Kickstarter Ever Thread Loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.