Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LYNDA ORM
United States
Atlanta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to be clear on this issue... when placing my combat/manna dice next to the skill I wish to activate; the dice gained from the skill is only used during the encounter with the peril/combat, correct?

After the encounter has been completed my hero has the original dice returned to and the dice gained from the skill are placed back into the pool of unclaimed dice, correct?

This is how I have been activating and using my hero's combat dice. But, the rules use the word "discard" which confuses me a bit. I view discarding dice as removing them permanently from my hero's arsenal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That should be correct. You can think of any dice gained from an ability or skill as temporary, and you always return back to your base dice pool after an encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Vendelbo Gori
Denmark
flag msg tools
I share exactly the same frustration as you, Lynda. The rules say that you DISCARD the number of (physical) DICE that matches the cost of the skill. Shouldn't I just CANCEL/ANNUL the CIFFERS/NUMBERS shown on exactly these dice matching the cost of the skill? Or temporarily deactivate these dice while using the actual skill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Discard is a temporary removal, for purposes of the fight. The die simply returns to the pool, and can come back if you have another skill which adds it.

The term for removing a die from the game is "Exile", if I'm remembering correctly. I think this only appears in Forest of Shadows, and should not be a concern in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it this way:

You have a die pool from which, on each turn, you take the dice you are entitled to and roll them.

After rolling these dice you may discard dice back to the die pool to activate skills. Once these dice are discarded back to the die pool they are once again available to be used if you have other skills that can use them. If there are no dice in the die pool that match what a skill would give you then you cannot sue that skill.

After activating all of your skills you use the dice to fill the challenge boxes.

Then, finally, you discard all of your dice back to the die pool and go back to step one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Vendelbo Gori
Denmark
flag msg tools
Makes sense, thank you both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.