Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured I would share what I have come up with for my own enjoyment in playing at home. So far I have had fun with it, and really enjoy it. Figured I would share for others and for comments/suggestions. These are sort of spawned from just being completely slaughtered quite a few plays in a row as I attempted to only run one squad of Marines. (I may just suck at life and games. laugh ) Fairly simple overall in my opinion.

Things I have tested and enjoyed with Marine Squad of 5 from base box and 2 Sentry Guns:
- I don't try to seal entry ways, I actually draw a mission card for the appropriate faction, and roll for the location(s) of the objectives if necessary using the appropriate rule of nothing being placed closer than 5 to the factions starting point. Generally I roll for their placement in the huge rooms. EG Count the number of large rooms outside of 5 spaces of the spawn point and roll for objective placement using their assigned numbers (Usually 1-4).

- I don't like to mix factions (Feels better/more thematic that way), so either I play Marines or Predators and only one squad at that. As such I halve everything on the scenario. Breach points are down to 2, I roll for one of their placements using a D4, and the other must be placed on a infested area breach section. Starting Alien forces are halved, if it is an uneven number, it gets rounded up. EG 3 on a section would have two Pings placed.

- If an Alien ping is revealed on an infested token they will hide. This provides some variety of forces rather than everyone just running blindly into the teeth of the Marine forces.

- Sentry guns to do not suffer the RS engaged penalty being that they are automated targeting systems. I figure they are techy/smart enough to distinguish friend from foe with ease. This has not yet made them OP in my experience.

- Same halving rule goes for placement of new pings with the following rules:
* Do not roll on the first turn, the starting forces are the initial Aliens.

* I do not use the 40mm+ ping results (I use the alternate, halved) until the first objective of however many has been completed/activated. I use this as an awakening of the hive so to speak. If there is only one objective on the table, then gloves are off, rolls stand with 40mm/50mm/no base being allowed from start.

- After one 50mm/no base enemy is spawned, no others are spawned even if it is killed. No limit on 40mm tokens barring quantities that I own (1 of each).

With these changes, I have not yet won, but it has been much closer run of a thing to the objectives I needed. Where as before, playing straight out of the rulebook, I rarely made it 2 sections away from spawn. Regardless it has felt better.

Ideas but have yet to test:
- When my Queen arrives, I'm thinking of implementing a die roll system for seeing which 50mm/no base beasty comes out when I roll for them and the above objective qualifications have been met. From her card, the Queen looks like she's much stronger than the Crusher, especially given her wounding system (Resilient) and her armor only being reduced by one. As such I was thinking for starters, if a 50mm/no base result is rolled, I would roll again, on a 1-17 a Crusher is spawned, 18-20, Queen B shows. I feel the Queen should be a rarer occurrence both thematically and balance wise.

- I intend to test the Predators using the above formulas but have not yet done so. Figure I would start them with the base game of 3 with an attachment of either 2 Hellhounds or 2 Young Bloods. Thoughts on this? Too much OP potential? It seems the Predators are rather balanced between ranged and CC. Where as the Marines are beasts at range and drop off fairly quickly in CC (As should be).

- Same with the WY Commandos, intend to run the squad of 5 with 2 sentry guns attached.

Expansions I have (Number is boxes), figure this is important so people know what I was testing with/against:
Sentry Guns x 1

Stalkers x 1

Adult Warriors x 2

Royal Guard x 1

Alien Crusher x 1

Young Bloods x 1

Hellhounds x 1

I liked the idea of each main 30mm base Alien having 10 figures each for variety's sake.

Expansions I have on the way, and yet to use (Number is boxes):
Queen x 1

Facehuggers x 2

Predalien x 1

Weyland Yutani Commandos x 1

Powerloader x 1

Thanks for reading! Feel free to share thoughts, tweaks, or concerns you may see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathan,

These sound like fun. But what is your experience in playing 3 faction solo? That is, each faction has their own objective and do not cooperate with other factions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
carthagenj wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

These sound like fun. But what is your experience in playing 3 faction solo? That is, each faction has their own objective and do not cooperate with other factions...

Thanks Mark! I have not actually, is it any fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Tebar
msg tools
These rules sound great. I like your take on the mission objetives (using mission cards instead of closing breaches).

I recently got the game and Ive been playing the regular missions. Having a lot of fun. Ive been eyeing the Last Stand mode and, like you, Im interested in fielding a single faction group (marines or predators) and playing coop with my friends vs an alien horde.

Rules are not very clear in some points though.
- Like... deployment for your "survivor force". It doesnt say anything. Where do you start?
- Starting horde forces. Do you place any Ping markers as starting enemies or you just roll for each breach at the start of the first turn.
- Im also concerned. With the standard Last Stand rules you are suppoused to field a 300 point force (3 preds, 5 marines). Imagine I field a 300 point predator force of 4-5 predators. According to the rules every time each player moves their predator, you move an alien in turn (using the hive mind priority rules to select the alien model). So basically we move our 4-5 models, and one alien each, and then the rest of the alien force gets to move... Sounds pretty nasty. Not sure what is your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Innes Clatworthy
msg tools
I tried the last stand mode last weekend and got a grand total of 2 tiles toward the first breach as Marines before being overwhelmed. Certanily will look at these rules to see if it balances a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.