The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Voracious Godess puzzle question [spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is a puzzle underground, we found a clue on the wall and the solution, but it was mostly by accident...
Can someone explain how this is meant to be solved?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm talking about the sun vs. ice puzzle in the jungle underground.
We are supposed to choose a color that is a winner. Why is it blue?

Also, if the proper solution can be deduced from the puzzle terrain and the wall clue only, feel free to write it in a spoiler tag for me to read.

On the other hand, if there is some other card(s) that would help (that we may have possibly overlooked somewhere), please just write so and don't explain the solution - we may find it on some future adventure.
Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be solved using only that card.

There are more ice statues than sun statues in the connecting card 6 vs 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
It can be solved using only that card.

There are more ice statues than sun statues in the connecting card 6 vs 5

It did seem like a bit of a rope-y solution to me. Unless you know the rules of the game there's no real reason to assume the winner is the one with the most pieces at the end - if the aim of the game was to get your piece in a certain place, for instance, their could be a different answer. But with no other info we decided most pieces was the best guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RQ RQ
msg tools
Nope its not a random guess

The message on the wall within the same cave (card 293) states to trust the victor between the yellow and the blue crystals (hence choose blue, which has more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do understand why the poster didn't immediately succeded at solving the riddle, it has no clever solution, just a really clumsy one...deeply love this game but this one was a lot below average quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that was also our reasoning I just didn't think it was strong enough...
Also one player remarked that this color is present more frequently in this area in general as opposed to the other color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QwertyRQ wrote:

The message on the wall within the same cave (card 293) states to trust the victor between the yellow and the blue crystals (hence choose blue, which has more).

Yes, but how do you know the victor of the game is the one with the most pieces on the board? In chess, for instance, the victor might very well have less pieces.

Without the rules of the game surely it's a guess to judge the winner of the game form a snapshot of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
QwertyRQ wrote:

Yes, but how do you know the victor of the game is the one with the most pieces on the board? In chess, for instance, the victor might very well have less pieces.

Without the rules of the game surely it's a guess to judge the winner of the game form a snapshot of the components.

I agree with all of this... but I don't mind. We're explorers and we're trying to interpret a puzzle with clues about an ancient culture. We don't have all the information, so we have to make our best guess. I think that fits very well into the Indiana Jones, exploration archetype. It's not like you insta-die if you choose wrong (a la Indiana Jones 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my first run, I thought "this can't be just that, this is too simple. I must be missing some clue to decipher this". And I moved on. On the second run, I read the clue more closely.
The thing is, you're not really solving the puzzle, someone else did it and left you the answer. That's why it seems obvious.

It's a living world people were there before, it's not just a series of clues to find and puzzles to solve. I think it emphasize immersion, careful reading and observation. So in retrospect, I really like it and think it's clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.