José Manuel Medina Reina
Spain
flag msg tools

Hello friends:

I bought this game with much illusions, like I did with the GMT´s The Spanish Civil War. I think it is a great design that covers our civil war with the Paths of Glory ways. I usually tell it´s our spanish paths of glory. But There are some questionable points in the design. I can say this because I´m studying the spanish civil war for years. I don´t want to bore you and I only tell that:

- The Guadarrama Ridge (La Sierra de Madrid) was the space of the firsts encounter battles. It becomes a fix front with little chances for an offensive advance to Castille (Republicans) or Madrid (Nationalists). So there´s a penalty for fight in these spaces. But it´s by historical affaires and not geographical. Other spaces with important ridges like Sierra de Gredos (Avila space) or Cordillera Cantbrica (Northern spaces) would have the same penalty in operations with geographical criteria in mind.
- The naval an air war is limited to some combat cards with provides with + DRMs. Certainly the naval war in the spanish civil war was limited, but had been naval war with important effects. Mastering the air with some hundred planes wasn´t a little question. The Nationalist offensive always needed a concentration of air power.
- The RPA units (no the militia ones) are understimated. It´s true there is an optional rule with provides with elite republicans divisions with a firepower of 2. It´s true that the firsts nacionalists peninsular army units maintains cohesion and a better organization and discipline, but I think it couldn´t do posible that these units doubles the firepower tha RPA units. An other question is the African units.

Congratulations for the designer. I repeat it´s a great and an interesting game. He has done a great job, of course.

Excuse me, all my apologies, because I´m writting from Spain and my english is very limited.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AF Davis
msg tools
Thanks for your critique, Jose. I've long been fascinated by the Spanish Civil War and keep looking for a game that looks like it best illustrates the dynamics I have read about in various historical accounts. I'm considering this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi José Manuel,

Thanks for your comments. It is good to know that you consider “Crusade and Revolution” a good game, even if you have several objections. I will answer to them and try to explain my point of view.

Quote:
- The Guadarrama Ridge (La Sierra de Madrid) was the space of the firsts encounter battles. It becomes a fix front with little chances for an offensive advance to Castille (Republicans) or Madrid (Nationalists). So there´s a penalty for fight in these spaces. But it´s by historical affaires and not geographical. Other spaces with important ridges like Sierra de Gredos (Avila space) or Cordillera Cantbrica (Northern spaces) would have the same penalty in operations with geographical criteria in mind.

In your first sentence you have perfectly explained the reasons for adding a penalty to the spaces of the Sierra of Madrid: after the intense combats of the first weeks of the war, the front stabilized, both sides fixed their positions and that important scenario -to the north of the capital-, nearly did not see any action for the rest of the war.

As I have explained many times, “Crusade and Revolution” is a wargame based on the historical Spanish Civil War. Of course, players may alter history and they may take decisions different to their historical counterparts, but I decided to design the game inside a “historical frame”, introducing all the historical events –that may occur or not, depending on the players’ actions- without introducing “what ifs?” in the basic game. For those players who want to try out non-historical alternatives, I have added many optional rules which include counterfactual situations. The imminent 2nd edition will include more of those optional rules, units and cards.

Back to your comment, I decided to add the additional penalty to the Sierra of Madrid spaces not for geographical reasons –as you have pointed out, there are other mountains in Spain with similar or even harder difficulties- but to reflect the historical peculiarities of that front during the war.

Quote:
- The naval an air war is limited to some combat cards with provides with + DRMs. Certainly the naval war in the spanish civil war was limited, but had been naval war with important effects. Mastering the air with some hundred planes wasn´t a little question. The Nationalist offensive always needed a concentration of air power.

As you know, “Crusade and Revolution” is based on “Paths of Glory”, a game where naval and air operations are highly abstracted. I decided to follow that same way in my game, to keep things simpler and to have a medium-sized rulebook, similar to the one of his “father” and “brothers” (like “Barbarossa to Berlin”, “Shifting Sands”…). Including specific rules for naval and air war would have added a lot of complexity to the game, something I did not want.

Anyway, I would not say that the naval and air aspects are neglected in the game. There are no less than 20 cards with events related to naval or air affairs. And particularly the Nationalists have several cards that reflect their increasing air superiority, very helpful when launching their main offensives (Condor Legion, Legionary Aviation, Spanish Air Brigade…).

As I have said above, the game abstracts the naval and air war, but it gives to them the importance they had in the conflict, always from a historical perspective.

Quote:
- The RPA units (no the militia ones) are understimated. It´s true there is an optional rule with provides with elite republicans divisions with a firepower of 2. It´s true that the firsts nacionalists peninsular army units maintains cohesion and a better organization and discipline, but I think it couldn´t do posible that these units doubles the firepower tha RPA units. An other question is the African units.

Assigning numerical values to combat units is not an easy task, and usually it forces to make generalizations and take subjective decisions. The scale in “Crusade and Revolution” drove me to include many generic units, and when adjusting their values there are many things that had to be taken into account. Mainly the historical performance of the units they represent, but also playability (never forget that this is a game!).

Considering all that, I think that RPA units are well adjusted. Anyway, remember that counters have two sides, and in this case, if we compare the regular Republican unit (RPA) with the Nationalits one (INF), we see that the Nationalist value is double in the front (2 vs 1), BUT it is the same in the back (1 in both units). So it is not exact that one unit doubles the other…

As you say, I included optional Republican Elite RPA units for players who –like you- may want to improve several of the Republican regular units (also modifying the game’s balance, of course).

Thanks again for your comments, I find always refreshing being able to discuss about the game and confront points of view.
Anyway, never forget that the game, as it has been published, is the result of many hours of design work and playtesting, and usually there is always a good reason behind each decision. Now the game is also yours, so you may try your own house rules and adjust them to your own taste and your historical point of view. I expect that you will enjoy it!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Manuel Medina Reina
Spain
flag msg tools
Hello David, good morning:

Thank you very much for your explanations. Of course, your design is a great design, and it´s inspired in the "Paths of Glory" but it´s not a mere copy for the spanish civil war. It´s a game with own personality. It´s obvious that there was many hours behind the game and a deep study of evrey aspect about it. I bought the game and I enjoy it very much because it´s great. As player I only can introduce some optional issues like you propose in the playbooks. Despite the critical views I could make I´ll suggest the game to evreyone who want to play the spanish civil war as wargame and I only can say congratulations. I´ll pay, David, attention to your future desgins.

Thank you very much.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the game again recently, and loved it as always. Another Nationalist victory! We have gone from the Republicans winning our early games to the Nationalists winning. Helter Skelter against Barcelona sealed the win.

I will get my chance for revenge in a few weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.