Devon Sheppard
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Fooorish Samurai!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are finally going to work our way through the LotR LCG. I've played quite a few times with a friend who also has the base set and some expansions so we could make our own constructed decks and all that. I've been slowly accumulating expansions through trading and auctions and whatnot. But I've only got one of each (including only one base set).

What I want to do is sort of simulate the "new experience" for my wife, who's never played a constructed deck game in her life. It'll be like we're playing ten years ago when the game first came out. Each new expansion will be a big deal, new cards, new tactics, new rules... we all know the drill.

So my question is: do I need two of each of the expansions that we want to play in order for us both to be able to make decent decks? Is it conceivable that we could share the cards from each expansion deck? I don't mind working towards twosies, I just don't want to have more (or less) than I really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
having one of each should be fine.

if anything - a second core could be nice but not essential.

you can build two full decks with just one core set and then add, remove and improve your decks as you move forward.

one of you can take the 'fighter' role and the other can take the 'quester' role - helping each other out as required.

enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

You should be fine. A second core is pretty cool, but you could proxy certain cards (gandalf, etc.) for a lot less cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should build decks to complement one another, so there shouldn't be any card overlap, therefore no need for more than one copy of each expansion. As others have suggested, two copies of the Core would be good because of FFG's decision to not include 3 copies of certain key cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly suggest using Beorn's Path:
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

It shows how to build two complimentary decks and explains why certain cards are chosen, Goes up through the entire Mirkwood cycle in a step by step manner. It is entertaining to read and has play through games of the decks built. It helped me with the concepts of deck building and the learning curve of the game.

I can't seem to find the words to do justice to this site, I just recommend it to all relative newcomers. I really think it's that good.wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
That‘s just how we are playing. One of each product is enough for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Sheppard
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Fooorish Samurai!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm glad we can start soon instead of waiting while I work to get doubles of stuff...

And yeah, I know about Beorn's Path; I've only taken a quick peek at it but I could easily tell it'll be a fantastic resource for our upcoming journey, along with Tales from the Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, one copy of everything. My gf and I play this and Arkham Horror LCG together. Just one of everything is sufficient (and expensive enough as it is).

We tend to build complementary decks, though my Lord of the Rings LCG collection is so big (after so many years), that we can build LotR decks with the same spheres now. Our decks will still have different "themes" so overlapping card needs are extremely rare. For example, my Lore pulls tend to be trap related for my ranger deck. She likes the card draw economy that Lore provides, so she typically pulls those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zumbrun
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.Slinky. wrote:
My wife and I are finally going to work our way through the LotR LCG. I've played quite a few times with a friend who also has the base set and some expansions so we could make our own constructed decks and all that. I've been slowly accumulating expansions through trading and auctions and whatnot. But I've only got one of each (including only one base set).

What I want to do is sort of simulate the "new experience" for my wife, who's never played a constructed deck game in her life. It'll be like we're playing ten years ago when the game first came out. Each new expansion will be a big deal, new cards, new tactics, new rules... we all know the drill.

So my question is: do I need two of each of the expansions that we want to play in order for us both to be able to make decent decks? Is it conceivable that we could share the cards from each expansion deck? I don't mind working towards twosies, I just don't want to have more (or less) than I really need.

I play two with my wife. One copy of everything is good for two, it will work out fine. As you get deeper and deeper into it more cards will expand the experience. You only need an extra copy of the core game to add 3-4 players and even then one set for each works well with four players as people tend to diversify through the four spheres of influence.

This was my wife's first constructed deck game too, took here about three games, just through the core set before she finally built her first deck of fifty and she has really exploded from there. I build new decks all the time but she has a really solid deck she has played through about 10 adventures now. She changes it a little but has kept it fairly the same since construction and she loves it.

Enjoy it, you and your wife are gonna have a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.