Subject: Deck Building/Houses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Pickett
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I am new to this game and am a little confused on how the deck-building really works. I understand the basic rules of how to build a deck (as specified in the instruction manual), but what I don't understand is how many decks there are supposed to be. With the core set, it gave you 4 decks to build: A Stark/Greyjoy deck, a Lannister/Tyrell deck, a Night's Watch/Baratheon deck, and a Targaryen/Martell deck. Now, they have released three deluxe expansions: a Stark focused one, a Lannister focused one, and a Night's Watch focused one. The next one would be expected to be a Targaryen focused one but they announced it as a Tyrell focused one. My question is, does this mean Tyrell gets its own deck now? Do these houses have to be used together in the first place? And does this mean that the Targaryen/Martell deck is under-powered at this time (since no expansions have really benefited it)? Correct me if any of this information is wrong or misinterpreted, and thank you for any responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, welcome to the game.

The decks in the rulebook are suggested starter decks. These are mainly to get you playing and are a bit like an intro to the game.

Have a look at this video, which should give you a basic understanding of Deckbuilding in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
lkpick425 wrote:
what I don't understand is how many decks there are supposed to be. With the core set, it gave you 4 decks to build

I'm not sure I understand why you are asking like that

There is no set number of decks. There is no "THIS IS THE STARK DECK!" deck. They're just example decks, based on one core. You build from scratch when you have more cards.

Each faction has a number of themes: Stark is about military or dire wolves mainly. These are slightly different ways of murdering opposing characters, with some different thematic mechanics to achieve this. Lannister goes for trickery, Martell are weirdos who like to lose and make opponents feel bad about it, and the Watch is absolutely obsessed with a piece of architecture.

So it's up to you how many decks you want and can squeeze out of the card pool you have. With each deluxe expansion you get about two decks worth of new cards with a few themes, sometimes compatible, and just have to pick and match what you think works together.

As for combining factions, or "splashing in cards" as some call it, that relies on agenda cards to allow it in the proper deckbuilding rules. With the backside of a faction's agenda card you can change the deckbuilding rules for that deck to allow a second non-neutral faction. You have to include 12 or more of that secondary faction though.

The deluxe boxes CAN make the remaining factions a little underpowered, but hopefully the forthcoming chapter packs even things out a bit again. Sometimes by providing distractions for the ones with deluxe boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
lkpick425 wrote:
what I don't understand is how many decks there are supposed to be. With the core set, it gave you 4 decks to build

I'm not sure I understand why you are asking like that

There is no set number of decks.

Agreed. I got 2 copies of the core set when I started and have always had 8 single-faction decks built at a time.

If you only have 1 core, then as stated you don't need to stick to the pairings on the back of the LTP booklet. Instead of stark-greyjoy you could try stark-lannister, or stark-baratheon, etc. With 1 core you are forced to pair houses together because you don't have enough cards yet for anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.