Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newer player to Techno Bowl (just two games under my belt so far) but no slouch to the sport itself. While my passing game is poor but managed a touchdown my running offense is diseased. Running plays require more coordination and the five cards I choose never seem to be what I need and the few mercy moves the defense gives me between never generate much more cohesion. The tackle zones and their negative modifiers are brutal for making a lane. There's got to be other noobs like me struggling as well, so:

7 V 7, no skills. Assume the defense lines up identically, even the same jersey numbers, and motions when you motion. Would you take a picture or describe some popular formations and the five card plays you pick to give us a snapshot of a successful running play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the league!

I'll see if I can give you some quick tips to improve your running game. The pictures I'm using are from an 8-vs-8 game, but the seven players that you can see will work perfectly for this example. Just substitute the other 6 skill player for #55.

I would start by placing one of your offensive linemen directly next to the center and the other spread out a single space. This will open up one side of the field for a sweep and give you a few options on the other side, like a counter up the middle or an off tackle run, depending on how the defense sets up. On a sweep, it's best to construct the play call so that you aren't rolling the dice until after the running back has exhausted his cards.

Here's an example play call: 55, 79, 79, 39, 55

1. Pre-snap, motion 55 onto the line in the diagonal threatening 31 of the defense. You don't have to do this step and could ignore it an run the rest of the play as written.
2. After the snap, there's a decent chance that the defense has 31 queued up in an effort to get a plus 3. No matter the card let the defense go first.
3. Use an adjustment to move 55 to threaten #67 [and #31 if possible] and give #79 the hand-off moving 4 spaces.
4-5. Run the ball with #79!
6. Use #39 to try and generate a free activation by pulling his card off the bench for a boost and blocking #44 on the defense.
7. #55 will run interference downfield and attempt to slow and threaten any would be tacklers.

When running the ball with #79, if the defense has to read-and-react to pursue, go first as they won't be able to move and tackle. If they don't have to switch to another player, take the option that gives you the most yards in the moment.

Now to the other side of the field...

By keeping a space between #44 and #51, you force the defense to either line-up straight in front of #44 [giving you the run off tackle] or to the outside [which gives you a chance to take it up the middle].

Heres an example play call: 33, 79, 79, 44, 55
1. Block #44 on the defense to the outside diagonal using a bench boost to give you +3. You need a free activation here!
2. Use the free activation to do an adjustment to move #44 to threaten #51 on the defense and take the hand-off with #79 and run into the massive hole you just created.
3-4. Run the ball with #79! You'll probably bounce it outside here.
5. Step diagonally out of threat with #44 to block #41 with a bench boost to give you a +3.
6. #55 is there to help out if things went poorly.

You can run a similar play without needing the total success on the initial block with this play call: 33, 44, 79, 79, 33. Perform the adjustment with #44 as before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good info there, thanks! It's interesting to see the 'blueprints' for inside runs (something that I still haven't been able to accomplish much of without specific team matchups).

I was initially confused about why you needed to have 65 back there in a QB role rather than a direct snap to 79 (with 65 out on the right to decoy or slow down backside pursuit). But I would guess that 65 is there due to the Adjustment? If 79 has the snap, he can't move on an adjustment but with 65 taking the snap, 79 can take the hand-off and get an extra 4 MPs. Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
But I would guess that 65 is there due to the Adjustment?

Correct, and it also helps to condition the opposing coach to think of a specific player as your QB. Doing so allows you to use a little misdirection to run some trick plays later in the game or simply surprise the defense with an unexpected motion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb

What an insightful topic coupled with a brilliant explanation. New coaches need this type of help to expand their playbook (and by "new coaches" I mean me).

This is exactly why I backed this game. The depth. The strategy. The plans within plans within plans...

Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
Talenn wrote:
But I would guess that 65 is there due to the Adjustment?

Correct, and it also helps to condition the opposing coach to think of a specific player as your QB. Doing so allows you to use a little misdirection to run some trick plays later in the game or simply surprise the defense with an unexpected motion.

I started running a similar play. I usually save it for my 3rd or 4th play. I think it lets the offense react more to the defense alignment. And I usually motion twice out of the formation which can cause defensive heart burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.