Jim Weaver
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Ace in the Hole gambling trick is a bit odd. The text says it replaces a die if you succeed on the final effect - so there is no re-roll per-se, and also the "can't use this on thing you can't grit" provisio is also missing from this card. Maybe just because they didn't have room.

So how are you playing it?

Some examples, I roll a defense roll, fail, use grit to re-roll, fail - can the Gambler replace the re-rolled die with the 6 from the Ace?

Mission result for search party - roll xd6 based on progress through mine, if any 1 is rolled the victim is dead - states cannot be re-rolled. But could an Ace be used to replace a 1 on this roll?

For the moment I am playing both cases as yes. It does take ultimately two fortune, sacrificing a 6 roll, and a successful luck test to swap the 6 in - so you pay a lot. That makes it seem reasonable it can be used in the above examples.

However, in terms of gaining permanent bonuses from chart rolls (gain X sanity for example), the official FAQ seems to rule out Ace in the Hole as well - it's not a re-roll, but it is a "modification".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masterli wrote:
Ace in the Hole gambling trick is a bit odd. The text says it replaces a die if you succeed on the final effect - so there is no re-roll per-se, and also the "can't use this on thing you can't grit" provisio is also missing from this card. Maybe just because they didn't have room.

So how are you playing it?

Some examples, I roll a defense roll, fail, use grit to re-roll, fail - can the Gambler replace the re-rolled die with the 6 from the Ace?

Mission result for search party - roll xd6 based on progress through mine, if any 1 is rolled the victim is dead - states cannot be re-rolled. But could an Ace be used to replace a 1 on this roll?

For the moment I am playing both cases as yes. It does take ultimately two fortune, sacrificing a 6 roll, and a successful luck test to swap the 6 in - so you pay a lot. That makes it seem reasonable it can be used in the above examples.

However, in terms of gaining permanent bonuses from chart rolls (gain X sanity for example), the official FAQ seems to rule out Ace in the Hole as well - it's not a re-roll, but it is a "modification".

The Gambler is my new “Allies” in terms of ambiguity and amount of questions I have. The interesting thing about the FAQ and the game-breaking effects of being able to re-roll enemy attacks or non-permanent reaults on chart dice seems to only apply to “Fortune’s Favor” according to the FAQ.

Although I apply this semi rule-breaking ability to any Fortune card that has the same text, which is in parentheses, on the bottom of the card. A good example of another card with this parentheses is “Tip the scales”, which is more of a modification AND not a dice roll of a card.

Now one could argue, that that little parentheses section is missing from “Ace in the Hole”, but I wouldn’t go as far to say that this or any Fortune card can effect charts with permanent bonuses or any of the other listed Grit Restricted rolls mentioned on page 2 of the FAQ—except, of course, initial chart rolls, where the FAQ distinguishes that the gamblee can modify chart rolls—as long as it doesn’t result in a permanent bonus (leveling up, the Travel one where you need to roll 6 in order to get +1 Health or Sanity, etc..)

Jee has a some good logic on the whole subject in a thread called something like “Gambler Overpowered?”, but I still find myself constantly asking that same question, ‘Can X Fortune card be used here?”

A good example is Ace in the hole on Location Event Charts—eventually it’s going to always yorkd at least 1 awesome result, which feels overpowered and you’re uncertain.

The other big issue is the use of Fortune Cards in town—by my account they seem to be intended to be used in travel/town since they get replenished after an mission, but the limitation on 1/turn is a mission limitation that doesn’t realky work in town—my limitation in town is that the same fortune can’t be used twice in the same roll, but you can use multiple Fortune cards on a roll—also it’s harder to get Fortune, like Grit in town—so that ruling seems fair.

Oh, and in terms of “Ace in the Hole” I give 10xp each time you spend a Fortune token to use it, but the bottom half only gets the XP if they succeed on the skill check (like a sermon).

All I know is I’m really looking foward to a new FAQ and, honestly, I’m sure there are a lot of Shadows of Brimstone community members that would like an official comprehensive list separatly that lists all the grit/Fortune token questions I alphabetical order with 2 columns: 1 that checks off when grit can be used, one that checks when fortune cards can be used. I hate having to jump back and forth between 4 different sections to double check when I fet it right—although Grit related issues hasn’t been a problem for me in a while, it definitely helps new players—and I look foward to the column that refers to Fortune tokens and the section in the FAQ thwt deals with allies.

I know for myself, I’m more than willing to help them compile a list of questions from the unofficial FAQ—sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just enjoy this game, but want it to run a little smoother and faster while I play. Obviously I know exactly what kind of game this is—and I’m not looking to turn it into a ‘dungeon crawl’ puzzle, but even with 20+ house rules I still depend highly on these forums almost every session. I love the Shadows of Brimstone community—and I can’t wait to get my FF stuff to get more people back and excited.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls