Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ideas for Casual Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me I know that I will not have friends who own this game or friends who will be joining me to play with preconstructed decks. I will most likely just break out the game to play with friends/family on a very casual level.

That being said I was trying to think of ways to still integrate the deck construction aspect of the game, possibly through a draft of the neutral power cards and objectives prior to playing. Do you guys have any ideas for how this could work, or alternate ways to include those neutral cards at a casual level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Marquevielle
France
flag msg tools
I was thinking something similar.
Give each player a different faction so that they don't have to share faction-specific cards, and then draft the universal cards.

For the draft procedure in itself, I'll have to try different things and see what works best.
I don't know at this point if objective and action cards should be drafted separately (I'm leaning towards "no", but maybe distribute them uniformly at the start so that no player is forced to first pick an action card).
I also wonder what the ideal number of draft rounds and number of cards per round would be. Assuming the base game factions also have exactly 29 specific cards, a 4 player game would have 100 universal cards to draft (38 from the base game and 31 from each expansion). That's 25 cards per player so maybe 2 rounds would do (with 13 cards in the first and 12 in the second.)

Another way to do it would be to draft all 216 cards in 3 or 4 rounds (including the faction specific ones) and use the result to determine the faction each player ends up playing (say, the player with the more Khorne cards gets to play the Reavers, etc.) This would allow for some counter-drafting but should probably be reserved for more advanced players (and would noticeably lengthen the pre-game procedure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a truly casual game not limited to the basic decks, I think I'd try to split both types of decks in 3 piles (each warband and universal), and then secretly deal a number of cards from the appropriate decks to each players.

For power cards, if you want to respect the "at least half of cards must be upgrades" rule, then you'd need to split them as well in different piles to make sure of the quantities per type.

Something like 2/3 faction specific and 1/3 universal would probably be what I try first, and adjust to taste.

Once every player has all the required cards, let them secretly look at all their cards before shuffling so they have an idea of what options/objectives they'll have during the game.

This way you won't know for sure what the other player picked, and you'll meed to adjust your strategy and not rely on one you know.

I'd still recommend the basic decks for the first few games, but I think this way of changing cards without deck building and without the added time of drafting could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas guys! Yeah I think on the most casual level just dealing out cards could be a fun way to add variety and surprise to the games. And if you have more time and/or are more interested in really digging into the cards you could do a draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Been a while since I've played it, but a great start point would be how Ashes handled there casual play with the draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll try to build a solid deck for each faction and keep the decks ready. When friends come over to casually play the game I don't want them to be constructing decks first. I just want to explain and play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One possible way to do some minor deck construction is to have pre-constructed decks, and then before play allow each player to swap-out maybe 2 cards total.

Next time you play same thing. In this way your decks would evolve over time but would remain mostly constant. It would give a taste of deckbuilding without as much time commitment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TripleThr3at wrote:
I think I'll try to build a solid deck for each faction and keep the decks ready. When friends come over to casually play the game I don't want them to be constructing decks first. I just want to explain and play the game.

For first games I intend on writing down the basic decks before doing any deck-building so I can put the decks back as they first were for new players.

With GW latest habit of making apps, I'm hoping for a deck-building app for Shadespire to store a couple different builds and make it easy to recreate them/share them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.