Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Characters with interrupt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lufia22
msg tools
I assume this could apply to attachments with interrupt as well if there are any. An example of one such card is the scorpion's Rumormonger card.

Are you able to play these cards from your hand during the interrupt timing for their interrupt effect, or must they already be in the play area in order to use their interrupt ability?

If it's the former, can interrupt characters ONLY be played during the interrupt window or can you play them outside their interrupt window, even if the interrupt condition has not been met?

Can characters with interrupt abilities use their interrupt ability multiple times over several rounds, or is it only the one time when you play them?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lufia22 wrote:
I assume this could apply to attachments with interrupt as well if there are any. An example of one such card is the scorpion's Rumormonger card.

Are you able to play these cards from your hand during the interrupt timing for their interrupt effect, or must they already be in the play area in order to use their interrupt ability?

If it's the former, can interrupt characters ONLY be played during the interrupt window or can you play them outside their interrupt window, even if the interrupt condition has not been met?

Can characters with interrupt abilities use their interrupt ability multiple times over several rounds, or is it only the one time when you play them?


Rules Reference: Triggered Ability, Triggered Conditions, Interrupts

Characters can’t be played in interrupt windows, so the interrupt would have to be already in play as the condition occurs.

No Triggered ability can be used more than once a round unless it says so.

Short answer: no and no
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lufia22
msg tools
Quizoid wrote:
lufia22 wrote:
I assume this could apply to attachments with interrupt as well if there are any. An example of one such card is the scorpion's Rumormonger card.

Are you able to play these cards from your hand during the interrupt timing for their interrupt effect, or must they already be in the play area in order to use their interrupt ability?

If it's the former, can interrupt characters ONLY be played during the interrupt window or can you play them outside their interrupt window, even if the interrupt condition has not been met?

Can characters with interrupt abilities use their interrupt ability multiple times over several rounds, or is it only the one time when you play them?


Rules Reference: Triggered Ability, Triggered Conditions, Interrupts

Characters can’t be played in interrupt windows, so the interrupt would have to be already in play as the condition occurs.

No Triggered ability can be used more than once a round unless it says so.

Short answer: no and no


I'm not disagreeing, and it seems that it would work as you say, but where does the game state that characters cannot be played in the interrupt window? I've read the sections you reference and tried to look for it elsewhere. The only thing I sort of see that references this is in the event card section where it states that event cards are triggered in your hand. Unfortunately, the character section does not mention when characters are triggered.

As for my last question, I want to clarify I did say over multiple rounds. Young Rumormonger's interrupt could be activated multiple times so long as it is from multiple Young Rumormonger sources or during separate rounds, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
lufia22 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing, and it seems that it would work as you say, but where does the game state that characters cannot be played in the interrupt window? I've read the sections you reference and tried to look for it elsewhere. The only thing I sort of see that references this is in the event card section where it states that event cards are triggered in your hand. Unfortunately, the character section does not mention when characters are triggered.

As for my last question, I want to clarify I did say over multiple rounds. Young Rumormonger's interrupt could be activated multiple times so long as it is from multiple Young Rumormonger sources or during separate rounds, correct?


Characters can normally only be played in two ways. During the Dynasty Phase, you can purchase characters from your provinces as an action in your Dynasty action window use. The special Dynasty action window is also the only action window in the game where characters from your conflict hand cannot be played.

Once you leave the Dynasty Phase, you cannot purchase characters in your provinces until the next Dynasty Phase (card effects such as Charge can still put them into play, but that's a card effect, not a purchase).

Conflict-hand characters can be played during any normal action window as your action use. Normally they are played directly into conflict during the Conflict Phase, as one of their advantages is surprising your opponent during conflicts, but you can certainly play them in any (non-Dynasty) action window.

Abilities on a character, such as the Young Rumormonger's ability, can only be triggered if that character is in play (because cards cannot use their abilities unless they're in play, and can only affect cards in play, unless they explicitly say otherwise). If you want to use the Young Rumormonger's ability, you'll have to get them into play (typically by purchasing them during the Dynasty Phase), and then trigger the ability if you want to when it's legal to do so. Just because a character has a Reaction or an Interrupt ability on them does not mean that they can be played at that "speed". It just shows the "speed" of their ability once in play.

There are only two characters right now who have innate abilities to be played as Reactions. One is the Lion conflict character Vengeful Oathkeeper, who may be put into play as a Reaction to you losing a military conflict. The other is the Keeper Initiate (only playable if you have the Keeper role), who can come into play (with a fate on him!) from your provinces or Dynasty discard for free after you claim the ring of your role as a Reaction.

Some clans, typically Lion, have abilities to play characters at weird opportunities that other clans cannot -- Ikoma Eiji can put a Bushi of 3 cost or less into play from your provinces or Dynasty discard as a Reaction to you losing a political conflict, for instance. Scorpion and Unicorn both have group sneak-attack style cards. And so on.

As for your other question, all abilities in the game can only be used once per round unless they say otherwise.

References for your questions include, but are not limited to, the following pages in the Rules Reference guide:

1. Dynasty characters are only allowed to be played form your provinces during the Dynasty Phase as per the fact that no other framework detail gives the players that capability (pp 18-22, especially the Framework Overview for the Dynasty Phase on p 18, and the Framework Detail for the Dynasty Phase on p 20);

2. Conflict characters default to being played as an action slot in a normal action window (p 18, definition of Action Windows; see also the specific exceptions to the special Dynasty Phase action window on p 18 and p 20);

3. Abilities default to one use per round (p 2, Action, Action Ability entry, first bullet point);

4. All non-event abilities default to only being usable while in play, and default to only being able to affect cards in play (p 2, Ability, first bullet point)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something that you’re missing is that only reactions are played in reaction windows. This is because the rules don’t ever say you can play anything else in a reaction window.

It’s not Magic with the reverse stack thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lufia22
msg tools
I just realized Young Rumormonger is a dynasty card. For some reason I thought it was a conflict card. That makes my questions moot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
lufia22 wrote:
I just realized Young Rumormonger is a dynasty card. For some reason I thought it was a conflict card. That makes my questions moot.


Well, not really. Even if it was a conflict character, you still couldn't play it as a reaction or interrupt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lufia22
msg tools
Gaffa wrote:
lufia22 wrote:
I just realized Young Rumormonger is a dynasty card. For some reason I thought it was a conflict card. That makes my questions moot.


Well, not really. Even if it was a conflict character, you still couldn't play it as a reaction or interrupt.


Just got home and was able to read the PDF.

"Card abilities only interact with, and can only target, cards
that are in play, unless the ability specifically refers to an
out-of-play area or element. Card abilities on characters,
attachments, holdings, strongholds, and provinces can
only be initiated or affect the game while they are in play

unless the ability specifically refers to being used from an
out-of-play area, or require that the card be out of play for
the ability to resolve. Event cards and role cards implicitly
interact with the game from an out-of-play area,
as established by the rules of their cardtypes."

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.