Hide
7 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » Variants

Subject: Aeon's End Challenge - Fleeting Magic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aeon's End Challenge (Homebrew) - Fleeting Magic

Background:
Even mages couldn't keep going forever. Though Gravehold’s defenders had held off many unknown creatures, they did not have the luxuries of rest or retreat. Battles would rage onwards, regardless of their readiness. They had the numbers to hold on for so long, but so many consecutive battles took their toll.

When the next attack hit and the creature returned, the mages had to defend. But days of fatigue could do as much damage as any wound. Their minds were scattered, and the same familiar spells would not flow without effort beyond the norm. Even the smallest spells took all of their focus. They could only hope that the magic in their breaches could keep their spells on track.

Setup:
Setup the game as normal.

Rules:
When a mage casts a spell from the supply pile and discards it, return that spell to the supply pile. (This does not apply to any Sparks or unique starting spells.)
When a mage gains a spell, they may add it to their hand.
Spell cost 1 Aether less to purchase. (They maintain their original price for all other purposes.)

Increased Difficulty Rules:
Spells no longer have a discount.

Designer's Note:

This playstyle came out of a period of time where I tried to imagine Aeon's End with more 'standard' spellcasting, where spells cost an amount of MP (Aether), were good for one shot, and then went away. Certain spells become more useful while other spells become weaker, others become stronger, and you might get a different amount of value from certain relics or gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really interesting. Have you gotten a few plays in using this, maybe have some war stories to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I tested a whole bunch using this, and it's actually interesting how important open breaches, decent relics, and low cost spells can be worth. Against Thrice-Dead Prophet, I actually ended up buying 3 copies of Spectral Echo in one turn. Larger spells tend to drop in value by a bit, but sometimes, you have enough aether that they're worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it me or did Lava Tendril become most valuable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Most While Prepped abilities become pretty important in cases where they can keep triggering. Of course, in those cases, reasonably-priced focus abilities also become incredible - if you don't have any destruction, your breaches are suddenly incredibly valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't say

It's an interesting challenge. I think I will like the dynamics it create and the combo potentials it opens.
I'll have to try it out. Someday. In the very distant future cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm glad you like it. I'm pretty happy with this one, since it's a pretty flexible changes that retains the main pieces of the game, while still altering strategies and potential playstyles pretty significantly.

A couple of other quite comments for 'easy' or 'hard' games:

Easy: Play with Inner Fire in the supply. 1 Aether for 1 or 2 damage is great, and breaches become a limiting factor. This actually came up as something that I considered adding a 'minimum cost of 2' clause on, but I felt it was more interesting as an option.

Hard: Play against Magus of Cloaks. When you absolutely need big spells to do something, Magus's damage reduction can be tough to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.