Subject: holy knight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I bought the two new decks and I was wondering if im the only one thinking that the holy knight is OP? I play only with the prebuild deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
I bought the two new decks and I was wondering if im the only one thinking that the holy knight is OP? I play only with the prebuild deck

I haven't played the new decks yet, but I did think, "this seems too strong" when I was reading the cards yesterday. In play it might be different, but at least on "paper" it seems OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its fair that allies are designed to be more powerful than conjurations. Of all allies, he sure is the strongest at the moment. However, 3 hp is not a lot, and once exhausted, your enemy will surely focus him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I was reading the new FAQS and I learned something that I didnt know. (Im still new to the game). When a unit is exhausted, it loses all its ability so you can strike her with spell at this time. Still a powerful card but it is indeed less intimidating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I wasn't sure if you knew that rule. So unless your opponent is not attacking / countering with it (which renders the unit useles), it will become exhausted at some point. So having this card in play will result in a game of buffing / debuffing it with spells, dice and abilities. It sure looks fun to build a deck with him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olijf wrote:
I think its fair that allies are designed to be more powerful than conjurations. Of all allies, he sure is the strongest at the moment. However, 3 hp is not a lot, and once exhausted, your enemy will surely focus him.

Plus the fact that it costs 4 dice, so it's almost half of you round dicewise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fade Away or Regress are good way to handle this unit (can only be played after it is exhausted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FaceTheFact wrote:
Plus the fact that it costs 4 dice, so it's almost half of you round dicewise

Hm, I actually don't agree with that. Looking at other allies, 4 dice is not that high for such high attack, health, regenerate value AND one of the strongest abilities. Plus, the dice are all from one class of magic (divine), making it even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Melchert
Germany
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
Warning : Wall of Text
The difference between 3 and 4 dice is bigger thant the difference between 2 and 3 or 1 and 2 in terms of how it effects your decisions.
The average card costs 2 dice and you get 10 dice per round.
This is no Coincidence. Most rounds of the game you will be spending about 5 mainactions (that are not an attack or passing) plus some attacks and some passing.

Playing anything that costs 4 limits you to somehow spending 6 dice in a way that is equally powerful to about 4 actions of the usual powerlevel - which is not easy.

Also the ability of holy knight is actually not that great in many cases and here is why :
When does the ability matter ?
If you attack with the holy knight in the first turn you can, she is just a 5/3 with no ability while killing her is usually cost effectiv for the opponent.
In this case the ability didn't matter.
So you don't want to attack as soon as possible.
In a similar fashion you want to wait until you are sure your opponent can't easily kill her because they lack cards, dice or unexhausted minions to do so.
A skilled opponent will realize this and start passing as soon as they have done some damgage to you but can still block your holy knight or kill it after you attack.
Both cases : ability did not matter.
If they attack an unbuffed Holyknight, they have to use 3 damage because they cant kill it with abilitys afterwards - that is the only advantage :
They have to kill them in one attack.
That way the holy knight is more like a nuclear bomb - sure it looks very powerful but you cant use it as you would make yourself a giant target.

In Addition some Abilitys still work on Holy Knight as they have an effect that does not directly target the Holy Knight, but affect combat :
Hypnosis (+ Battle Advanted/First Strike), Strengthen, Empower, Strike(Naomie), Figures in the Fog, Strange Copy

In another Addition :
You can use alterations spells on it while it is exhausted, which will always have an effect as they don't count as being used by an opponent anymore (since they are not in an opponents battlefield - yes, this is an actual rule).
Once the Holyknight is exhausted, she can also be overexhausted by spells and abilitys.

On the Dice cost :
That would be a good argument if all magic classes were somehow equal. But Divine currently only contains 10 Cards so your opponents gets a lot of information what you are up to. You also have to put at least 3 Divine Dice into your deckpool (since 1 cost symbol is basic) to be even be able to play Holy Knight and will probably have to meditate or get dice manipulation in order to do so if you stick with the minimum.

All in all : Holyknight would be a good card if you could just happen to find one on your battlefield by accident.
But she actually costs a lot AND you have to use her Dicecolor AND you have to put her in your deck (instead of another card) AND you probably dont want to attack with her in a lot of situations.

If you only play premade Decks, not all but some of these arguments do still apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.