The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: question about card sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Zhang
China
flag msg tools
Hi guys!
I'm not sure whether I should buy the card sleeves from KS or not.
The KS price is around $2.5 one pack, but mayday MDG-7145 thick sleeve is about $1.9 one pack.
I tried but failed to calculate the correct number of packs I acctually need, and neither do I know if there is any quality difference between the products.
Could you guys give me some advises?
Thanks a lot and sorry for any misspelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My additional question would be - Does fit in the box if everything (including all expansions) will be sleeved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$80 to sleeve everything ... not a chance.

Action cards, maybe. The rest of the cards you are going to use what ... once?

More power to you if you want to pay 60% more for the game.

As far as fitting in the box, I don't think so. I think the sleeves (assuming all) would at least double the amount of space for the cards.

Couldn't you just sleeve as you go if you are concerned about the island cards? How many are you going to have in play at a time? You can then just rotate the sleeves. Just saying.

For $80, buy some of the additional material or a couple other games. This would be a much better value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danissimus wrote:
My additional question would be - Does fit in the box if everything (including all expansions) will be sleeved?

The KS states that, with the new expansion box, all cards from all expansions will fit, even sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:

As far as fitting in the box, I don't think so. I think the sleeves (assuming all) would at least double the amount of space for the cards.

On the actual Kickstarter site, it has been stated that, with the original and expansion boxes, even if ALL of the cards were sleeved, they would fit. In fact, Jamie just restated that in the comments section a few minutes ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdzuber1 wrote:
NoDicePlease wrote:

On the actual Kickstarter site, it has been stated that, with the original and expansion boxes, even if ALL of the cards were sleeved, they would fit. In fact, Jamie just restated that in the comments section a few minutes ago.

All in the main box? or using the expansion box as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
jdzuber1 wrote:
NoDicePlease wrote:

All in the main box? or using the expansion box as well?

Using the expansion box as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the question is will the expansion fit in the base box, unsleeved? or are both boxes needed?

If it does, then this is another factor in considering sleeves. I cannot imagine the weight of this game sleeved. It is already approx. 11 lbs (4.5 kg). Sleeves would more than double (almost triple) the weight?

If so, 33 lbs and 2 boxes? I don't think it is going to be doing a lot of traveling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
So the question is will the expansion fit in the base box, unsleeved? or are both boxes needed?

If it does, then this is another factor in considering sleeves. I cannot imagine the weight of this game sleeved. It is already approx. 11 lbs (4.5 kg). Sleeves would more than double (almost triple) the weight?

If so, 33 lbs and 2 boxes? I don't think it is going to be doing a lot of traveling.

Depends how many optional expansions you get. But I would say unless you get virtually none of them, you would need both boxes. And with all the stretch goals, I'm not sure it would fit in one box even if you didn't get any optional expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtual none it is. Let's hope it all fits in the one box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zhang
China
flag msg tools
cryso~~~~did I asked something? did I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just buy the Mayday premium sleeves. They work wonderfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dknight997 wrote:
cryso~~~~did I asked something? did I?

My suggestion for what it is worth:

If you want to buy sleeves for everything: buy them on your own.

Why? It will be cheaper and if you wait until you have the game, you may decide that you don't need to sleeve all of the components etc. This will be cost effective and you might not need to pay shipping etc. I buy sleeves locally and they cost the same as they do online.

Does the quality of the sleeves matter in a case like this? I have no idea. I buy the same brand sleeves for all games that I sleeve. I never buy specialized sleeves (I did once and they cost more and were of a lower quality).

According to the base listing you are going to need 1600+ sleeves + any of the expansion material that desire. As I said it is better to wait and buy it on your own when it gets close to shipping.

My opinion: Likely sleeve the action cards and that is it $10

Ultimately it is your call if you want to spend the $60+ for all of the other cards that won't be in play most of the time (if ever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zhang
China
flag msg tools
THX a lot man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zhang
China
flag msg tools
THX a lot. I think I'm gonna buy later, but I'm curious about which brand do you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dknight997 wrote:
THX a lot. I think I'm gonna buy later, but I'm curious about which brand do you choose.

FFG mostly. I found the Mayday sleeves problematic.

The quality is good to excellent and supports the cards well without being too slippery. They have a good feel as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:

Just for grins...

i just weighed a 50-card pack of sleeves from the first KS...

56 grams per pack (including the wrapper, but it's virtually weightless). Assuming an even 1600 cards...

1600 cards divided by 50 sleeves per pack = 32 packs of sleeves times 56 grams = 1792 grams =

[stephan@host:~]$ units
Currency exchange rates from www.timegenie.com on 2015-10-14
2919 units, 109 prefixes, 88 nonlinear units

You have: 1792 grams
You want: pounds
/ 0.25312074

= 3.95 pounds.

Edit: according to http://bit.ly/2kQQiUt, there are 1876 total cards, so... 37.52 packs of sleeves times 56 grams each = 2101 grams = 4.63 pounds.

That's for the KS-provided think sleeves. i suspect (without having measured) that Mayday penny sleeves weigh roughly 2/3rds of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Wachta
Poland
flag msg tools
How many cards do I need to sleeve if I don't want to sleeve all cards?

In KS add-ons info there is an option 200 sleeves for action deck or +1400 to sleeve all cards.

I'll sleeve action cards for sure, but I'm just wondering whether there are some other cards which are worth to sleeve. Are there other cards that are used more often like e.g. condition cards?

How many sleeves would I need in total, to sleeve all more frequently used cards in the game?

Thanks in advance for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polwac wrote:
How many cards do I need to sleeve if I don't want to sleeve all cards?

i still, after all this time, think it's funny that many (most?) people think there's even a choice involved.

polwac wrote:
In KS add-ons info there is an option 200 sleeves for action deck or +1400 to sleeve all cards.
How many sleeves would I need in total, to sleeve all more frequently used cards in the game?

For the first edition, it's roughly 150 (i don't have an exact number, and am not going to go count them!). For the 2nd edition they've added a character (with 5 new skills) plus 5 new skills ("Prodigy Mode"), so that's 10 more cards. In any case 200 sleeves easily covers the "most frequently used" cards.

Tiny caveat, only microscopically spoilerly (no card names/numbers):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is at least 1 green card which can end up in your Action Deck, so be prepared to sleeve that 1 (there might be more which i haven't seen) using whatever sleeves you use for the Action Deck.

That said... never mind, it's been said a thousand times already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this can maybe help
http://bit.ly/2kQQiUt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just imagine hours and hours spend sleeving all those cards...I mean, you will get even more game this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
Just imagine hours and hours spend sleeving all those cards...I mean, you will get even more game this way

It actually doesn't take long: according to the timestamps on my photos i needed roughly 90 minutes to sleeve the approximately 820-odd "least-used" cards from the core set, plus another 30-ish minutes to sleeve the expansions. i didn't time/photograph how long it took me to sleeve the approximately 170-ish "most used" cards, including character cards, curses, and satchel. For argument's sake, let's call it 2.5 hours for an all-in first-KS set.

Edit: pics or it didn't happen, of course: thread 1828127

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am still not sure whether to take the KS sleeves or other brands' premium sleeves.

Have you tried to compare the KS sleeves with premium Mayday/SwanPanasia/FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giorgione123 wrote:
I am still not sure whether to take the KS sleeves or other brands' premium sleeves.

I know somebody mentioned that the KS sleeves were both thicker and fit better. The Mayday sleeves are apparently 0.5mm too wide and too tall, but the KS sleeves are a perfect fit. I haven't tried them myself, but it would be good to get direct feedback from somebody who's tried both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ComtriS wrote:
Giorgione123 wrote:

I know somebody mentioned that the KS sleeves were both thicker and fit better. The Mayday sleeves are apparently 0.5mm too wide and too tall, but the KS sleeves are a perfect fit. I haven't tried them myself, but it would be good to get direct feedback from somebody who's tried both.

This is actually covered in gross detail in a couple of the other sleeve threads, but here's a pic of both the KS sleeves (left) and Mayday penny (right):

i'm not a fan of Mayday sleeves, but i'm quite satisfied with how they fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.