Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
1. I’m thinking about going just two days. Thursday and Friday. Is that enough or should I plan for all 4 days? Would I be missing a lot skipping Saturday and Sunday?

2. Besides the cost of entry and a hotel, how much money would you recommend someone bring? I know this varies based on how much you want to buy, but I assume some of you have gone enough to give estimates.

3. Is it worth going solo? I might be able to get someone to come with but I doubt it.

4. If I want to go how quickly do I need to be signing up for things? Do I need to be ready to go hitting refresh constantly or can I just go sign up casually. Within reason on being casual about it. I understand a lot of people go.

5. Any recommendations for a first timer at the convention or in the city?

6. Anything else in the upper Midwest that might be worth going to as someone new to conventions. I’m in Wisconsin and 6 hours from Indianapolis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
1. I’m thinking about going just two days. Thursday and Friday. Is that enough or should I plan for all 4 days? Would I be missing a lot skipping Saturday and Sunday? - I would go through at least all day Saturday.

2. Besides the cost of entry and a hotel, how much money would you recommend someone bring? I know this varies based on how much you want to buy, but I assume some of you have gone enough to give estimates. - A couple hundred can easily be enough.

3. Is it worth going solo? I might be able to get someone to come with but I doubt it. - Yes just register for events

4. If I want to go how quickly do I need to be signing up for things? Do I need to be ready to go hitting refresh constantly or can I just go sign up casually. Within reason on being casual about it. I understand a lot of people go. - If you want to go casual I would suggest mainly registering for board game library. I would still recommend picking out some actual events you want to do.

5. Any recommendations for a first timer at the convention or in the city? - I personally recommend not allocating time for the dealer hall. I always end up with free time to go through the dealer hall even if I pack my schedule full.

6. Anything else in the upper Midwest that might be worth going to as someone new to conventions. I’m in Wisconsin and 6 hours from Indianapolis. - I personally would recommend going to a local convention in Wisconsin first. Maybe pop over to Madison in a couple weeks for Gameholecon. https://www.gameholecon.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
1. I’m thinking about going just two days. Thursday and Friday. Is that enough or should I plan for all 4 days? Would I be missing a lot skipping Saturday and Sunday? We bought all 4 days but left after Saturday evening. RESPONSE FROM DUOMAX: We saw everything we wanted to see by Saturday. I would recommend staying until Saturday.

2. Besides the cost of entry and a hotel, how much money would you recommend someone bring? I know this varies based on how much you want to buy, but I assume some of you have gone enough to give estimates.
RESPONSE FROM DUOMAX: Depends on how much you want to buy. I would say if you are not buying a bunch of games, then about $100-200 (this is assuming food and lodging are covered already).

3. Is it worth going solo? I might be able to get someone to come with but I doubt it. RESPONSE FROM DUOMAX: I think it is worth going solo. You can find plenty of people eager to play and eager to play with people.

4. If I want to go how quickly do I need to be signing up for things? Do I need to be ready to go hitting refresh constantly or can I just go sign up casually. Within reason on being casual about it. I understand a lot of people go. RESPONSE FROM DUOMAX: I bought my tickets 3 months in advance and hotel about the same time. It was Gen Con 50 so there was a lot of hype around it. We signed up for dedicated blocks of time to play games and I enjoyed that time but I would only do about 1 or 2 at most a day and only for games you really really want to play.

5. Any recommendations for a first timer at the convention or in the city? RESPONSE FROM DUOMAX:I attended Gen Con 2017 (first Con ever). And we stayed outside of the city (20 min drive). It was cheaper this way. It worked out for us.

6. Anything else in the upper Midwest that might be worth going to as someone new to conventions. I’m in Wisconsin and 6 hours from Indianapolis. RESPONSE FROM DUOMAX: There is a Con of the North that Undead Viking goes to often. I think he is in Wisconsin too but don't quote me on that. There is also Grand Con in Michigan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Greg!

My wife and I went for the first time this year. It was pretty great.
Here's what I'd do next time if we were doing it again... We're in Akron, Ohio, 4-5 hours away from Indy

1. I'd go Friday/Saturday if I were going two days, but I'd try to go Thurs-Fri-Sat at the least. It really wasn't until the third day that we had our bearings straight and knew how we wanted to attack a day. There's SOOOOOO much to look at and do, that it will take you 2 full days just to see it all. The second night, after seeing it all, we went to the hotel, played Scoville, and planned out our Saturday, which was the highlight of the whole thing for us.

2. It depends. Of course it does. It'd be easy to get caught up in it all, and just shell out cash left and right. You could bring a thousand bucks and burn through it in a day. I'd take a few days before hand, use the convention preview tool on here, an figure out which 10-20-100 games you're interested in, and use the convention as a chance to watch and test the games being played. Bring cash for percentage of what you're interested in. Then try and figure out which of the games you'd play within a few weeks of bringing home. You're gonna pay MSRP there, so every game you don't buy there is one you can buy cheaper from CSI or MM or even Amazon when you get back... as long as you're willing to wait a few weeks/months for it to be released publicly. Next time I go, I'd plan on bringing enough to buy 4-5 games. But we only play 2-4 games a week, with one being a 2+ hour Friday night game, and the rest all fitting comfortably in the 15 minute to hour range. We'd never get through them all before they came out in general release if I bought more than that.

3. It's worth going alone. I would. There's always lots of places to play.

4. You'll want to buy a ticket a monthe out at least, in case they sell out again. As for the general $2 tickets to do individual sessions? You may want a few, but for your first time, I'd see how the things operate while you're there. You can buy $2 tickets pretty easily there.

5. It's a good convention city, but if you go with a partner or friend, and they're going to be there playing with you - get a hotel room with a fridge and bring some lunch meat and bread and drinks, because food, while always everywhere - is a pain in the @&#.

6. I'm probably 11 hours away from you, being the opposite direction from Indianapolis. So I got nothing here for you. Good luck!

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
SnackeyG2 wrote:
1. I’m thinking about going just two days. Thursday and Friday. Is that enough or should I plan for all 4 days? Would I be missing a lot skipping Saturday and Sunday? - I would go through at least all day Saturday.

2. Besides the cost of entry and a hotel, how much money would you recommend someone bring? I know this varies based on how much you want to buy, but I assume some of you have gone enough to give estimates. - A couple hundred can easily be enough.

3. Is it worth going solo? I might be able to get someone to come with but I doubt it. - Yes just register for events

4. If I want to go how quickly do I need to be signing up for things? Do I need to be ready to go hitting refresh constantly or can I just go sign up casually. Within reason on being casual about it. I understand a lot of people go. - If you want to go casual I would suggest mainly registering for board game library. I would still recommend picking out some actual events you want to do.

5. Any recommendations for a first timer at the convention or in the city? - I personally recommend not allocating time for the dealer hall. I always end up with free time to go through the dealer hall even if I pack my schedule full.

6. Anything else in the upper Midwest that might be worth going to as someone new to conventions. I’m in Wisconsin and 6 hours from Indianapolis. - I personally would recommend going to a local convention in Wisconsin first. Maybe pop over to Madison in a couple weeks for Gameholecon. https://www.gameholecon.com/

That looks like a pretty good event. I’ll probably shoot for that next year instead. That’s only two hours from me. If the Minneapolis area has anything good. I might be able to crash at my friend’s house. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.