Peloponnes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rules for 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reading over and over the complaint that the bidding is too brutal in 2 player games because there is only 2 non conquest tiles, how does one propose to mitigate when outbid?

1) allow paying extra (the difference) when the non bid tile is more expensive than the bid tile; so when there are tiles 1 with cost 3 other with cost 4, bid 3 on 1, get outbid opponent bids 4, then move to tile 2 pay not 3 but 4.
This seems unfair in one sense that the opponent bid 1 too much, but on the other hand, opponent denies you tile 1 plus can use tile 1.

2) allow to pay 1 for drawing a 3rd tile.

Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) accept that the game's brutal and play accordingly

This is coming from someone who recentely played a 2p game of Tramways, on the difficult side of the tiles, and with one fewer tile to create the map... I think Peloponnes is short enough for this not to be a big deal. Plus, remember: winning nothing means you'll be last to bid on the next turn and you'll be able to do the same thing to your opponent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several times with 2 players, and personally haven't found it to be that brutal. There are a variety of strategies, so often I'm fine taking whichever tile my opponent is willing to overspend to get.

If you really need a variant, I would try something simple, like reducing the conquest price to +2, or having 3 non-conquest tiles per round. But at that point, maybe you just want to do away with the auction, and have all the tiles be available at their minimum bid?

Your first suggestion makes it sound like you might be bidding too low. If there is a 3 and a 4 out, and I'm OK with either one, I'll absolutely bid at least 4 on whichever tile I want more, not just 3. Having a backup plan is the key in these auctions.

I don't understand your second variant proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.