Subject: Recent Go variants: Yugo and Kingo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugo and Kingo are Go variants which make use of two kinds of pieces: pawns and kings. Each player uses pieces of their own color only. A group can include both pawns and kings of the same color. As usual, a surrounded group is a group without liberties.

In both games, komi is a whole number, and the button is used to break ties.

Yugo

Yugo (available to play on igGameCenter) is a finite game without ko or superko rules. It was inspired by Redstone, and I think it improves on it. Gameplay is closer to Go and permanent pieces blend in more naturally.

Kings are never removed from the board, and are always used used for placements that increase the number of surrounded enemy groups. After such a placement, all pawns in those enemy groups are removed, and then all pawns in friendly groups that remain surrounded are also removed. If the surrounded enemy groups are made entirely of kings, no pieces are removed from them, but the move is still legal.

Pawns are always used for moves that don't increase the number of surrounded groups of any color. Placements of any kind that surround one or more friendly groups but no enemy groups are illegal.

Area scoring is used, and surrounded groups of kings score for the opponent.

On the left, White can't place a pawn on the marked point because the number of surrounded groups is increased. They can't place a king there, either, because the number of surrounded enemy groups is not increased. Black, however, can place a king on that point and remove all pawns from the newly surrounded white group, as shown on the right.

On the left, White can place a king on the marked point, which increases the number of surrounded groups of both colors. The surrounded black group is checked for removals first, but none are possible, as it contains no pawns. Next, since the white group remains surrounded, the pawn that it contains is removed, as shown on the right.

Kingo

Kingo is an attempt to make Go even more intense and unforgiving. Pawns and kings behave like normal stones and players can always choose between placing one or the other. However, only kings are scored, and capturing an enemy king is an instant win.

When comparing positions as per the ko and superko rules, pawns and kings of the same color are considered the same. Positional superko is used.

Alternatively, it can be required that captures be made with kings, which enables doing away with the ko and superko rules. This results in an intriguing but quite different game, as false eyes become true unless they arise from captures.

Kingo has generated some discussion on the popular LifeIn19x19 forum, and is being played there at the moment by two decent Go players. It's a so-called Malkovich game, which means that players report on their thought processes to readers after each move.

Here is a little puzzle made by another user:

Black to play wins, no komi. Pieces with red circles represent kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugo? That was the worst selling car in the USA, LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
reyalicea wrote:

141,651 to be precise
wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
reyalicea wrote:

141,651 to be precise
wiki

LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I should have called it Pajero instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:

Lol you still can, it's not too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kingo is spectacular

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, thanks, Nick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:

In Argentina, this name would give you strange looks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
Whoa, thanks, Nick.

What I like about it, is it seems (to me) to introduce a kind of brinksmanship that doesn't exist in the regular game. Just looking at the rules has me sweating bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
What I like about it, is it seems (to me) to introduce a kind of brinksmanship that doesn't exist in the regular game. Just looking at the rules has me sweating bullets.

Trumpgo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

Trumpgo?

Trumpgo is a Go variant with the following modifications:

On your turn, you can claim to have made a placement on some previous turn that you didn't actually make, even though your stone from that turn is clearly not in the spot it would be in if that were true.

Also, on any turn, you may tell your opponent their house is burning down, and if they pause the game to find out if it's true, you win instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

On your turn, you can claim to have made a placement on some previous turn that you didn't actually make, even though your stone from that turn is clearly not in the spot it would be in if that were true.

Also, on any turn, you may tell your opponent their house is burning down, and if they pause the game to find out if it's true, you win instantly.

But it's still about building yuge walls, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

But it's still about building yuge walls, right?

OF COURSE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alek Erickson
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would any player choose to place a king in kingo as they would simply become a target? And if king is required to capture a a king then they would wait until the final placement. What am i missing as this seems to be a major loophole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alek Erickson
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alekerickson wrote:
Why would any player choose to place a king in kingo as they would simply become a target? And if king is required to capture a a king then they would wait until the final placement. What am i missing as this seems to be a major loophole.

Only kings are scored. Gotcha. Make two eyes quickly! Don't get surrounded. Keep your groups strong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.