United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:

So all told, GM'ing an event takes 4-8 hours during WBC, and a other 4-8 hours during the rest of the year. Not really a lot of time, and even ignoring the benefit for others, you get to play in a tournament of your favorite game, run exactly the way you think it should be run, and that's a nice perk.

I agree with everything Andy said. Granted, the event that I GM (Air Baron) isn't a new hotness game and really brings back the same crowd who already have a good idea of how the event runs. I haven't changed much from how the previous GM ran things, so it's been consistent for a very long time.

I can see games where there are more games played having more potential for that uncomfortable GM experience where you have to play "dad" ... those aren't the most fun - but those are also few and far between. I think at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't think running an event can be fun, make sure to play in the Facts in Five tournament on Saturday night. Even if it's not the sort of thing you think you'll like, it's definitely worth trying once (and doesn't require knowing the game in advance). The GM, John Corrado, puts a large amount of work into it (which is why he deservedly won GM of the year in 2016), but I don't think anyone could attend the event and not think that John found it fun to GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stepped up to run Five Tribes two years ago when it was in danger of going without a GM, and have not regretted my decision once. As others have already noted, the bureaucratic aspects of being a GM are not particularly onerous, in particular, the Event Report. I love going through and reading the event report every year, even for games I didn't play/don't event know how to play, which makes writing my own a treat rather than a chore. Both of the reports I've written easily surpass the 400 word minimum by 3-4 times. Apart from what has already been mentioned, though, the biggest benefit I've had running a game is meeting/getting to know a lot of new people. When I play in an event, I might meet 3-4 new people, but running an event instantly raised that to 60-70 people. Now I can walk around the WBC and people know me and greet me because they played in a session of Five Tribes. I've also found that there is a certain camaraderie between GMs because of the shared experience in running an event. Finally, the most rewarding experience I've had as a GM was nominating someone from my event for the Sportsmanship Award, (which is a fairly big deal since the reward is free lodging at the next years WBC), and seeing that person win for their act of selflessness.
As a final aside, most GMs designate two Assistant GMs to help run the event (this is mandatory if the GM wants to play in his/her own game), which takes a burden off of running the event. It also provides an opportunity for folks to volunteer who might want to run an event or who want to help out, but don't want the responsibility of being a full-fledged GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
Does that mean that the 5 games dropped don't count towards laurels, or tournament wins don't count in those games?

Only if they dropped because of less then 8 players. If they dropped for some other reason they should be ok.

Laurels are earned for placing in the top six places of any BPA tournament with the caveat that no laurels will be earned for an event that fails to classify as an official tournament due to lack of sufficient players (currently a minimum of eight), and players must rank in the top half of the field to earn laurels. Consequently, laurels would not extend beyond 4th place for an 8-player event.

https://www.boardgamers.org/wbc_laurels_calculations.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
I stepped up to run Five Tribes two years ago when it was in danger of going without a GM, and have not regretted my decision once.

Did you run it this past year? I was there and it was an exceptionally well-run event. It was run as well as any event I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
hgman3 wrote:
I stepped up to run Five Tribes two years ago when it was in danger of going without a GM, and have not regretted my decision once.

Did you run it this past year? I was there and it was an exceptionally well-run event. It was run as well as any event I've seen.

I ran it in 2016 and 2017. Unfortunately attendance dropped by about 15% last year and it's been demoted to Trial status. From what I gather, a lot of the folks who would normally play Five Tribes were off playing the hotter, newer games (i.e. Scythe, Terraforming Mars)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgman3 wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:
hgman3 wrote:

I ran it in 2016 and 2017. Unfortunately attendance dropped by about 15% last year and it's been demoted to Trial status. From what I gather, a lot of the folks who would normally play Five Tribes were off playing the hotter, newer games (i.e. Scythe, Terraforming Mars)

Yeah, I saw the Century list the other day. I can't recall specifics, but it did seem like it conflicted with some other things I had wanted to do. I was there at all the heats and it seemed like it was tough to make them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[url][/url]
Spleen wrote:
Does that mean that the 5 games dropped don't count towards laurels, or tournament wins don't count in those games?

Those five 5 games look like they were listed in the list of winners which means they did have the 8 minimum players. And yes if you don't get 8 players it like the tournament never happened for wins and laurels. The main reason for not appearing on the ballot next year is the lack of a GM report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is no way to reason from that quote above that "All games that dropped out of Trial status had 8 or less players show up." I think it would require more than 8 in many cases.

It most cases, it would, I think.

Quote:
[q]That's not a correct reading (or good writing). Nowhere does it say the criterion for making this year's Trial ballot is 8 attendees.

True, but I'm pretty sure that is one of the criteria. Far from the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:
There is no way to reason from that quote above that "All games that dropped out of Trial status had 8 or less players show up." I think it would require more than 8 in many cases.

Quote:
[q]That's not a correct reading (or good writing). Nowhere does it say the criterion for making this year's Trial ballot is 8 attendees.

The old distinction between "necessary" and "sufficient" tripped some people up in this thread. It was never a valid inference that the games dropping from the Trial list must have had less than 8 players show up. Having 8 players is far from a sufficient criterion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
[q="Statalyzer"]
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
That's not a correct reading (or good writing). Nowhere does it say the criterion for making this year's Trial ballot is 8 attendees.

The old distinction between "necessary" and "sufficient" tripped some people up in this thread. It was never a valid inference that the games dropping from the Trial list must have had less than 8 players show up. Having 8 players is far from a sufficient criterion.

Well what is a sufficient condition? What determines whether a game is on the initial list of Trial events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC some of the exact criteria for a game to stay in the century is not specified, because they didn't want GMs to be tweaking tournament formats to "game the formula" so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:

Well what is a sufficient condition? What determines whether a game is on the initial list of Trial events?

I do not know how they decide, but it's probably not one or more "sufficient" conditions, but rather a combination of "necessary" conditions. We've learned in this thread that turning in an event report is one of them.

There are probably comparative measures with other events -- I know we have spread the word to attend multiple heats of a borderline event to help the GM "save" it. We had way more than 8 going to multiple heats. No one thought having an initial show of 8 was good enough -- it always seemed like a mysterious "do as good as you can for time in seat."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ottey
United States
Royersford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
If you prepare for it in advance, GM'ing doesn't have to be that much work.

Andy - this is why you're one of the best GMs at WBC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.