42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Tamiya vs citadel plastic glue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Ive already bought citadel miniatures plastic cement. I saw everywhere pplthat suggest tamiya. It's just coz is cheaper or it is better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Tamiya for all my plastic models including KDM because it delivers in spades. For KDM, make sure you use the thin one. I don't have experience with other type of glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
It's just coz is cheaper or it is better

It has been described as great, fine, magical, "liquid gold," "a little spendy," "definitely worth the cost"...

https://boardgamegeek.com/spsearch.php?objectid=55690&object...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Sorry didnt know it was already asked. I should have searched... but i was not so keen to throw away gw glue since i payed it like 8 euro haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
gw glue is fine, I like it even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any experience outside of Tamiya but I don't think I'd use anything that doesn't have a brush applicator -- way too convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadel is probably fine - really, a lot of it is what you become used to.

I still do the vast bulk of my building of plastic models with Testors gel ... developed in the 1970s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that whatever flows easiest into a sandwich bag is fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Testors in the past and super glue but having used Tamiya it is very easy to apply and flows very well. It sets quickly but takes time to become solid so you can reset a piece for a minute or two very easily. It's almost a cross between super glue and modeling cement. I personally don't plan to try anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDermott
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
gw glue is fine, I like it even better.

I agree.
My tamiya is extra thin and dries too fast.

I use both. Tamiya to soften or prime attached parts. Then citadel for finishing amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just switched to Tamiya White last night after using Loctite for a long time. I wish I'd known about Tamiya from the beginning.

It works amazingly well. You'll have to hold pieces in place for a little longer to get the initial hold, but the glue has an amazing property of actually pulling the two pieces tighter together.

I put my Gorm together last night, lamenting that a couple pieces were not great fits and had large gaps. I woke up this morning and the gaps have almost completely sealed up on their own! It's really fantastic for Kingdom Death models
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamiya extra thin also tends to pour quickly out of the bottle when you knock it over (It was the lonely trees fault)... angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty much comes down to personal preference. Personally I stick with Humbrol Poly Cement with a needle applicator, but that's entirely down to the way it's bottled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The major benefit of Tamiya, besides being an excellent plastic cement, is that it is the best method of removing seam lines on models and filling small gaps.

All those super fancy aircraft models and Gundam models you see, use this technique.

Google "plastic models seam lines Tamiya" and watch almost anything that comes up.

I use GW glue for some stuff, but once you use Tamiya for minis, it's hard to look at anything else fondly.

To use it you apply it lightly to each side being joined, press them together, and then flow more cement into the crack from the brush. You don't brush it on heavily then stick them together. Any little bit that runs down the model, dries and does not hurt the finish if you don't touch it. That's why the thin is the best.

Order it a couple bottles at a time from Amazon or Tower Hobbies, or any big actual hobby shop or Gundam store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Actually i got the hint to use it with the brush on the gap of an already setted in place miniature. So the cenent will flow inside the gap. And then gently scrap the excess of melted plastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
The main difference between the two is that Citadel is a gel consistency and Tamiya Extra Thin is a liquid (significantly less viscous than water, even). They're both fine glues but I feel like more people who try both prefer Tamiya.

One thing you have to watch out for with Tamiya is the glue flowing off the point you applied it to and onto another part of the miniature. If you wait for the glue to evaporate and the plastic to harden back up you shouldn't lose much detail, but I've done this without noticing and then wiped out part of the miniature before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Actually i got the hint to use it with the brush on the gap of an already setted in place miniature. So the cenent will flow inside the gap. And then gently scrap the excess of melted plastic

If you don't apply excessive amounts, there will be no excess plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Revell Contacta and it does the job albeit taking a while to dry. With all the praise Tamiya gets maybe I should buy a bottle to try out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used both....

GW glue is good, but it has a tube to apply....

Tamiya has a brush on it so I think it is easier to apply. Between the two they work about the same to me. But the brush wins out because I can control how much I put on and where it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Jason. How do yoù use it?
There are any difference on apply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok so Extra thin or regular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra Thin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! ordered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
...because if I can't win, you can't either! :)
badge
OH...OH...OH....OH...OVERTEXT!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind, is if you use a plastic cement, it will bond and melt the two pieces together. If you ever plan to disassemble the model - good luck. I've been using Bob Smith Industries glues for years with great results. But when it comes down to it, its all personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried GW, Tamiya and Revell, and imho Revell contacts professional is the best one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.