Hide
11 Posts

Seasons» Forums » Variants

Subject: Too Many Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Storm
msg tools
So my roomate and I like this game quite a lot, and we've been playing it about weekly.

we played about 2-3 games 1-30, 2-3 games 1-50, then 2-3 games 1-50+enchanted kingdoms, and now we are going to move to 1-50+paths of destiny.

The question I have is what have people done in order to solve the issue of what seems to be too many cards. If you tried to play with all 180 cards you would only see maybe 20-25 of them (2 player game). Has anyone messed with curating a list of cards down to a set amount (because who actually ever used Dragon Skull to any useful effect?), or with a singleton format?

Also side note, I think the listing on this site saying that it's best with 2 players is just plain wrong. With 2 players one of them gets to be first player twice and the other only once, which seems like a very clear advantage to me. As such I'd think 3 would be the best number

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer the first question as I'm still working up the courage to pop in the expansion cards.

However, the first player should switch every turn, not what sounds like every year based on how you are describing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vangamer1578 wrote:
I can't answer the first question as I'm still working up the courage to pop in the expansion cards.

However, the first player should switch every turn, not what sounds like every year based on how you are describing it.

I second this response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said above, made that mistake our first play as well. All I've done with the cards is just 1 copy of each. The game still plays as well with just me and my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only got one of the expansions but I just shuffle everything in. (One minor exception - after an unfun first play experience with the 'hot potato' card, I took out both copies of him.)
I could see trying to play with only one copy of each card to ensure more variety. I have played games where both copies of a card were in play.
I've played with 2 and it's been fun, but yes, first player changes every turn, not every year/Act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vangamer1578 wrote:

I only recently (last week, in fact) discovered I'd been playing the turn switch this same wrong way. I had to tell a friend who owns his own copy, because we had both messed that up.

It's a forgivable mistake, given that, at least in my version of the rules, the bit about changing first player is listed right after what to do when changing years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pyrowolfs wrote:
The question I have is what have people done in order to solve the issue of what seems to be too many cards. If you tried to play with all 180 cards you would only see maybe 20-25 of them (2 player game).
I'd actually consider this a positive. A larger card pool means that no two games are the same. I just shuffle the heck out of all the cards each time and then wait and see which ones pop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Phelan
United States
Lake Waukomis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I only use one copy of each card, with both expansions added in. We found that some cards almost never showed up when we used the monstrous deck 2 copies of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the randomness of the monster deck. So much so that in less than a year I logged 59 plays at 2p and 1 play at 3p.

Edit: Dragon skull can be useful if you get a few negative point cards or cards that give you a bonus when you sacrifice it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
We thinned out the deck by removing cards we don't like... and using only one copy of "meh" cards. It's a tough choice to make, but you only do it once.

Still my go-to game to take on a vacation with, the best duel I own. Sadly, with a baby, there's gonna be quite a lot less time for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gaudet
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
In my experience playing with both expansions has not diluted any specific strategy because there is a good balance of each type of card you'd typically see with just the base set (cards that provide energy, cards that draw more cards, cards that give you points at the end of the round/game, etc) but I have a few more points i could share:

If you are still new to the game or playing with people for the first time be aware that some cards in the expansion mainly just combo with other cards and don't do much by themselves, I wouldnt recommend playing with all cards in the expansion with new players for this reason

Some vague card description of each expansions

Enchanted kingdom : more utility cards and cards that will be central to your strategy.

Path to exile: more combo cards that get a bit more technical and anti cards for familiars and cards in hand. After youve played a handful of games you will be happy to see cards that stops certain strategies that would otherwise be op.

Another point: if anyone is playing with only 1 copy of each card, you're eliminating some pretty key strategys. Look at Purse of Io (each energy you transmute is worth an extra crystal) and tell me you wouldnt want to draft two of those

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.