Robert Pollard
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

The rules seem a little woolly to me!

Looking at the DRM and from reading the rules, does it imply that you need to have units on both sides of a bridge to destroy it?

Is this still true even if you are in possession of the bridge?

Thanks
RobP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't even need to have units in the area. Just activate the area and all YOUR bridges can go ka-boom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need actual units, but you do need to have actual control of the bridge.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pollard
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you chaps!

I guess that means the Germans need to pre-plan blowing them, or at least try to take them as part of an assault.

Never would have guessed in a million years you could do it for areas with no units in them!

Again thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

RobP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice, though, that once repaired (usually by the Allies), the DRM when making a mandatory attack is no longer +2 for the defense but +1 (friendly bridge). What I'm trying to say is that sometimes it makes sense for the Germans to not blow every single bridge he has control of, as it is more difficult to seize than rebuild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original AH rules, there was a discussion by the designer that bridge blowing in reality was being done by small numbers of men which were too small to be tracked on the map as their own units.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pollard
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the thing that I do like about this game, the amount of complex subtleties they managed to put into it with so few rules!

There is a discussion in the back of my AH rulebook with regard to blowing bridges where the designer says that on the surface it looks like a bad idea, but it ties Allied units up with the construction effort and can ultimately slow their units.

In the designer's point of view, the Allies biggest enemy isn't the Germans, it's time! The more that can be done to deprive them of time, the better for the German position - this includes interacting with the sunset marker.

Once I complete my game, I will post a review - but as a heads up, I'm really enjoying it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that enemy units have to be in the adjacent area in order to blow a bridge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pollard
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely correct! - At least in the AH edition.

I have just started the last week on my game. The Allies haven't faired too well, though they could still pull it out of the bag!

RobP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hammond
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to be able to blow a bridge...

(1) You must own the bridge
(2) Both players must either contest or have control of an area on at least one side of the bridge

What (2) means is that if the Americans are in Omaha Beach, and the Germans control Trevieres but don't have any units there, they can still blow that bridge (Omaha Beach/Trevieres).

Some of the most common and useful times to blow bridges are:
On D-Day if the British maange to get into Bretteville, the Germans can blow all of the bridges leading out of Bretteville, limiting further Allied progress. Another very useful bridge to destroy is Grandcamp/Isigny - since the bridge is across a flooded river, it's harder to rebuild, and without it the Allies may need to go the "long way" around to Isigny - into Trevieres, then Colombieres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.