Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Whitehall Mystery» Forums » General

Subject: Special movement Alley - block of houses? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
OFFICIAL RULES:
A block of houses is an area of the game board that is completely bounded by black dotted lines, and which does not contain blue numbered circle

My question is: Does that area needs to have illustrated houses?

Because there are few areas which doesn't have any house drawn inside that area (e.g. block 120-135-137-139). Thematically it would not make that this as an alley because there are no house where Jack can hide behind.
But than again, looking strictly at the definition it seems like it can be, because it is any "area of the game board that is completely bounded by black dotted lines".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
To me those areas count for the alley movement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Answered already. Next time look at other threads before posting.

Definition of "Block of Houses"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Funny too that tonight I found myself caught in that particular area. My wife knew I was on 135 and she was on both squares around it. Luckily I had a alley movement available, but she outsmarted me and won next turn!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
gns000 wrote:
Answered already. Next time look at other threads before posting.

Definition of "Block of Houses"


Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley
Alley is a narrow lane, path, or passageway, often reserved for pedestrians, which usually runs between, behind, or within buildings in the older parts of towns and cities.

I think I will play by the rules where you can use this special movement only where there are illustrated houses. Not in the meadow, because it doesn't make thematic sense and logic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lavov wrote:
gns000 wrote:
Answered already. Next time look at other threads before posting.

Definition of "Block of Houses"


Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley
Alley is a narrow lane, path, or passageway, often reserved for pedestrians, which usually runs between, behind, or within buildings in the older parts of towns and cities.

I think I will play by the rules where you can use this special movement only where there are illustrated houses. Not in the meadow, because it doesn't make thematic sense and logic.


Maybe it's an underground passage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spavanko
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
zombiegod wrote:
lavov wrote:
gns000 wrote:
Answered already. Next time look at other threads before posting.

Definition of "Block of Houses"


Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley
Alley is a narrow lane, path, or passageway, often reserved for pedestrians, which usually runs between, behind, or within buildings in the older parts of towns and cities.

I think I will play by the rules where you can use this special movement only where there are illustrated houses. Not in the meadow, because it doesn't make thematic sense and logic.


Maybe it's an underground passage?


Alley must be street between buildings. Look at the sample pictures of alley at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play the game as you want, but the definition the games uses for Block of Houses is clear in the rulebook. The illustrations on the board are just meant to provide visual appeal and thematic flavor, but they do not define how the game should be played.

Anyway, in those cases where there are no images of buildings, I like to think as if Jack is crossing a park in the darkness or something of that sort. It does not bother me that much that some blocks do not have houses painted.

You can also draw the houses with a marker if that makes more sense to you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
lavov wrote:
I think I will play by the rules where you can use this special movement only where there are illustrated houses. Not in the meadow, because it doesn't make thematic sense and logic.


Fantastic idea. I'm sure this won't break either the games fine tuning or play-testing that was put into the game at all. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.