Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been looking at the reviews for Hammerhal, and I was pretty sure some people would be trying out the rules updates with Silver Tower, and that they would increase the difficulty significantly.

So here's a quick version of the variants as I see them:

1- Each time a champion suffers a Grevious Wound, he comes back with one unhealable wound on his card. This wound can only be healed between trials.

2- Champions can choose to save unused dice for next turn. This allows some champions to hold back strategically.

3- Champions have a skill cap a 1+ the number of shards they have obtained. Going around the skill circle extra times allows them to draw additional cards (and refine their skills) but they must always discard down to their cap.

One bonus to this is that they don't have to discard any if the trial is successful.

I'm quite certain that 1 and 2 will work- I'm wondering just how much the skill cap will alter gameplay. It seems to me that the most broken champions are the ones that can easily do laps around the skill wheel, and I think this will even them out quite a lot. I just worry that it is going too far.

Thoughts? Also, do you think this would work for a party of 2, 3 or 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Last time we played pretty much these rules, it was only an early trial with 3 heroes and ut was a challenge, I enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Is a good rule, but it's more punishing in Silver Tower because you can't leave the dungeon until you win. In Hammerhal, you have more opportunities to leave the dungeon.

2. Is a good rule, but with the rule as written for Hammerhall, each dice degrades by one point if you save it. So, you can't stack those 6s.

3. Hammerhal caps your skills at four, which is a good number. This cap work "in-game" as well as between games. I would work on that same number for Silver Tower using the same "remembering" thresholds from the Guide Book. In other words, your cap is one for for one fragment, two for two or three, three for four to seven, and four for eight or nine.

I'm not sure what you mean about not discarding any skills if the trial is successful. Under the Silver Tower rules, you're never allowed to keep more than four skills between missions anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my feedback, based on a limited number of 5 plays over the starting scenario (3 times) and what I'm going to call the second scenario (I can't remember what it is called and I don't have the book with me at present, but it is the second as listed)

1 - Without using any variants, we have never had a single hero suffer a grievous wound. I agree that this would be more punishing, but would it serve more to frustrate the player than increase the difficulty?

2 - A nice idea for strategic play, but wouldn't this end up making the game much easier?

3 - I don't really see the skill cap as an issue; I have never seen any 1 player get more than 2 skill cards during a trial. Although limiting the number you can accrue during a trial, instead at the end, would increase the difficulty somewhat and make for some interesting decisions if you could draw but had to discard down.

With that being said, as I mentioned at the start I have only played a limited number of games. Also there has never been fewer than 3 heroes and we have always had the healer from the base game in play. It is the party composition, and more importantly whether or not you have a healer, that seems to swing the game wildly from too easy towards a real challenge. Going forward I am actually going to try to not include the healer if playing with 3 or 4 heroes, as it is too much of a safety net having them around to bring you back to full health and removes some of the inherent danger.

That being said, playing with the Alternate Activation variant does seem to give a nice increase to the difficulty and based on the one game I have played with it, will now be my preferred method of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Permanent injuries are cool. They give "dying" a serious implication and make you think a bit more carefully. They're a bit more of an issue in Silver Tower compared to Hammerhal because you can't leave the dungeon at will, so it might need another rules tweak, such as healing a permanent wound every time you go around the renown track.

Saving dice is fine - you're giving up a go now, so you can do something later. But you need to have the degrading dice rule to prevent people saving up 6s, and also to stop them saving the dice turn after turn.

The skills cap is more of an issue later on. When you're starting a scenario with three or four skills already, getting even more throughout the scenario is crazy. Some heroes can whiz around the renown wheel easily. The cap works really well in Hammerhal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, the renown track has a lot to do with the variance in character power levels.

It seems that characters that speed around the track are all the more powerful ones in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
From what I can tell, the renown track has a lot to do with the variance in character power levels.

It seems that characters that speed around the track are all the more powerful ones in the game.

Yeah, you get renown for killing stuff, so powerful fighters can usually score a lot of renown that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.