Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opinion on Soul Storm optional rule for first play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micah Shapiro
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I have a few questions. I have to admit i felt a little dissapointed that the default rules aak the players to all be Law or Chaos and not mix. I really wanted to have Ecarus play as a tank under Law and Thorgar my healer under Law as well, while Chaos versions of Shae and Auriel dish out high damage sort of like a typical MMORPG party setup.

I was wondering if using the all Law heroes would get the same dynamics im looking for (in other words, will Shae and Auriel still dish out high damage as Law characters while i have a traditional tank/healer setup?)

If i do mix and go with the Soul Storm option, does everything play out naturally including the story or does it feel kind of half ass and unnatural? In other words does it feel like an extra option they tacked on without much thought that will make the story flow feel silly or force me to make house rules for many situations? Does tbe game feel overall better just sticking to the default rule and mot mixing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules recommend playing with either Law or Chaos characters for a couple of reasons:

* This increases the replayability a little bit, because you'll be seeing slightly different portions of the Storybook playing as Law vs. Chaos (end result is basically the same, but the details along the way will shift). You can still achieve this playing Soul Storm, but since the Storybook option you go with depends on the nature of the hero who is currently active, you may or may not end up with different choices/details.

* Generally speaking, it's harder to unbalance your party if you stick with one soul nature or the other (though at higher hero counts, and particularly if one of the heroes is Thorgar as a healer, this isn't a huge deal).

The party you propose should work fine, but do note that at least initially Shae will not be much of a damage contributor in either incarnation (she's mainly good at handing out Lethal damage, body conditions, etc.). Chaos Shae can be pretty nasty, but she needs a good dagger to really dish out the pain. Lawful Thorgar with the Stash two-handed hammer will deal a lot more damage initially.

Lawful Shae will deal very little damage for longer, but she's fantastic for clearing out a dungeon's loot and avoiding traps on doors.

Auriel is awesome in either incarnation; it mainly just changes what type of damage she does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:
I believe the rules recommend playing with either Law or Chaos characters for a couple of reasons:

* This increases the replayability a little bit, because you'll be seeing slightly different portions of the Storybook playing as Law vs. Chaos (end result is basically the same, but the details along the way will shift). You can still achieve this playing Soul Storm, but since the Storybook option you go with depends on the nature of the hero who is currently active, you may or may not end up with different choices/details.

* Generally speaking, it's harder to unbalance your party if you stick with one soul nature or the other (though at higher hero counts, and particularly if one of the heroes is Thorgar as a healer, this isn't a huge deal).

The party you propose should work fine, but do note that at least initially Shae will not be much of a damage contributor in either incarnation (she's mainly good at handing out Lethal damage, body conditions, etc.). Chaos Shae can be pretty nasty, but she needs a good dagger to really dish out the pain. Lawful Thorgar with the Stash two-handed hammer will deal a lot more damage initially.

Lawful Shae will deal very little damage for longer, but she's fantastic for clearing out a dungeon's loot and avoiding traps on doors.

Auriel is awesome in either incarnation; it mainly just changes what type of damage she does.
Commenting on the specific heroes - the two items to invest in for Chaos Shae are the strength elixir (for one offs) and Elven Daggers.

Chaos Auriel has better attack tempo than Law Auriel (since her two chaos-only abilities are attacks); Law Auriel has better control with her ice ability, and better survival with illusory image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO there is hardly any effect at all from playing Soul Storm mode. That said, I never play like that, I play mostly 3 hero setup and the number of different compositions are still high without Soul Storm option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the most important rule in this game is to have fun. If the soul storm idea ruins it for you, don't use it. My group of friends all have specific taste - I always play Necromamcer type classes, another friend likes to play Clerics so that's what we did. When it came time in the Story Book, we simply read out the options (eg. should we kill the Raiders or just steal the chest) and selected one as a team to play out. This gave it a more choose your own adventure feel rather than preset story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
rutgurt wrote:
I have a few questions. I have to admit i felt a little dissapointed that the default rules aak the players to all be Law or Chaos and not mix. I really wanted to have Ecarus play as a tank under Law and Thorgar my healer under Law as well, while Chaos versions of Shae and Auriel dish out high damage sort of like a typical MMORPG party setup.

I was wondering if using the all Law heroes would get the same dynamics im looking for (in other words, will Shae and Auriel still dish out high damage as Law characters while i have a traditional tank/healer setup?)

If i do mix and go with the Soul Storm option, does everything play out naturally including the story or does it feel kind of half ass and unnatural? In other words does it feel like an extra option they tacked on without much thought that will make the story flow feel silly or force me to make house rules for many situations? Does tbe game feel overall better just sticking to the default rule and mot mixing?

Having played through it, I say it doesn't matter much. There are many times in the Book of Secrets that you make a choice. Lots of those choices just lead to you reading more or less text, or even the same amount of text in a different order. Then sometimes the choices have consequences and change the path of the game. With these, I honestly don't think it matters, just choose and enjoy the game.

Another thought: You could use law and chaos characters, but just say that you are a law party. Then make all the choices as though you are a law party. That would make it simple.

Auriel was a damage dealing beast as a law hero, even though her weapons choices suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything unbalancing. I use soulstorm because I feel it is more fun for me. Just use whatever you feel is more fun for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.