Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a complicated process to roll a hit in this game? Are there many DRMs? How is the plotting system? Could anyone play the system before give me comment on these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re:About the Larry Bond's Admiralty Trilogy system

I watched a play of the game at a recent convention. I didn't have 4 hours to take part in it. Looked rather fiddly because you need to measure the distances of the minatures to calculate every aspect (ie. movement, torpedo launch, turns ...). There also other minor things like wind. I wasn't that impressed with the attack system. I know from your profile this is your historical area of interest. It certainly wasn't worth the asking price to me.

Is it complicated to roll a hit?
I don't think that is the problem but rather do you ever hit? I think you spend most of your time trying to maneuver into position. Then your chances of hitting are still slim.

Looked pretty dry to me. Something like this is better left to a computer simulation. I might try a play of the game but I certainly won't own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the chance to play this system twice this week at Historicon. And had a ball. I had never played the system before, and feel I caught on pretty quickly (I'm typically a tactical land combat gamer).

Yes, manuever is a large part of this system. Movement is preplotted one turn in advance.

Once you learn the system, it flows pretty nicely. Some DRMs remain constant across the scenario (environmental), tactical DRMs, of course, don't (target speed, aspect, distance, etc.) The ship annex and scenario book are pretty awesome. It comes with several sheets of counters, so, you don't need to dump a lot of money on minis right away. If you already have minis for the era, the rulebooks and annexes are available seprately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a play aid book for the 'series' (it's actually for FG&DN, but should work as well for this one). I can't imagine trying to play without that, as the charts and tables needed for combat are scattered around the manual rather haphazardly, otherwise.

Also, word on the street is that a book will be published from the company somewhat later with completed ship forms. That's the other big 'ouch' of the series - no ship forms. The annexes list the ship data...well, here's an example from the errata file:
http://xanderf.go.dyndns.org/images/games/fg_dn.gif

Which, believe it or not, is all that is in the ship data file for each ship. You have to take that and use it to fill out an entire ship form (mostly by looking up the weapons in the weapons annex and populating the data on the ship sheet). This game is NOT playable 'out of the box' - expect to spend at least a couple days filling out ship forms before any scenario begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muir
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't exactly classify the Admiralty Trilogy as "Games" per se..

I would classify them as simulations. These three systems (which are all pretty much the same for the most part) simulate naval combat a lot more accurately than ANYTHING else that's out there. However, there's so many parameters involved, that it takes away a lot of what most people would call "playability". This is NOT a gamer's game. It's made more for the study of naval engagements rather than competing with them (not saying that you can't compete). If you're looking for an accurate simulation, you can't find a better miniatures system. Just be prepared to slog through a LOT of rules and charts because this system adds EVERYTHING to the equasion.
Seriously, I've learned more about naval combat from reading these rulebooks than I've ever learned from reading history books on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 14 years, I am going to purchase a copy. The thing is that the time back when Japanese naval power was on the rise and had a crash with that of the Russian Tsar is too tempting. The game looks like a collection of miniatures in the form of counters and a lot of data. It is the collector in me that I have the urge to own it. Play? If you are interested in a PBeM Vassak game, and expect teaching another newbie to the system, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence

I'm not aware of any PBeM or VASSAL for this
I have DotRS and FG&DN and Fatal Choices, together with the DotB/GWF supplements..

They are a great simulation , played a bit of DotRS/FG' just need more

If you find a way to play over the 'net, be interested

I'm guessing you seen this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fpuNirkwDY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the nice and short video. I haven't seen it before. Did the commanders really stand out on the deck to watch the battle under fire?

I know that CoA doesn't release the right to anyone for doing a Vassal module, which is a shame and pity. I don't think anyone with just the Vassal module can play the game without the extensive rulebook and Vassal certainly would help boost the popularity and sales of the system. I just wonder if there are some private PBeM going on the world. After all, all we just need is a plain blue sea map and all the colorful counters in the module.

If ever we can wait till CoA change its stance towards digital platform during our life, maybe we can have a game.

Lawrence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.