United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait any longer, let's get this ball rolling

First and foremost, the #1 rule by far is:
This is just for fun!

For the past three years we've run the 1-Player Guild's People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games List. It was a lot of fun both to run as well as see the results. So we're back again this year. We increased from 86 to 365 people in the two years as well as listing 726 different games last year!

If you are interested in the results of last year's list, it is here: 2016 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

The inspiration for this comes from the Dice Tower's People's Choice top 100 Games.

I believe the volume is still manageable so we'll ask for entries to be sent via Geekmail (to me). Put 2017 Top 100 Solo as the subject please. Also, if you send your list and want to revise it, just send me a new list but please point out that it's a revised list.

What we're looking for is a list of your top (up to) 20 games in order from #1 to #20. While perhaps there are better ways to do this, scoring is simple. Your #1 choice gets 20 points, #2 gets 19 ... If you have less than 20 games that's fine, but I'm going to cut it off at a minimum of 5.

Note that say you have 5 games, you have list them 1-5. You could weigh them yourself (e.g. #1-GameA, #5-GameB, #10-GameC... So GameA=20pts, GameB=16Pts, GameC=11pts.)

The first tie breaker this year will be average score, followed by Total # of votes for the game. The third if applicable will be how many #1 votes did it receive. If still tied, I'll break the tie and note it.

Please be specific in the game you're voting for. "Legendary" isn't specific enough. Often the person meant Marvel Legendary, but sometimes they meant Legendary Encounters.

I may combine certain games. I didn't do this in past years, but there were a lot of ambiguous games listed and I had to geekmail the person back. This will speed things up.
See note below.

We are looking for physical board games you play solo. So if you love a game where you play both sides, feel free to include it. If you play a Co-op game playing multiple characters, include it. We don't want computer games or implementations of a board game where you play because the device provides an opponent.
Some examples:
- Eclipse on an iPad where the device provides opposition doesn't count.
- Ghost Stories on an iPad would count because it's exactly the same as playing the physical game.
- Suburbia on a device doesn't count because it's not the same game, but if you play the suburbia solo mode with the physical game then count it.
- Physical games with apps like Mansions of Madness, XCom, Descent count.
- Print and Play games are definitely welcome.
- Do not vote for expansions. If you believe an expansion makes the game, you can mention that in the comments when the games are revealed.

We'll reveal the results slowly starting in December. Also, at the end after the reveal, I'll produce a spreadsheet if people are interested so they can see all the details.

Deadline for submissions: Nov 30th, 2017.

Send me (kerskine) a geekmail with the subject "2017 Top 100 Solo" with your votes from 1-20 (1 is your favorite). If for some reason you change your mind then send a new geekmail with a clear note that you want this to count instead of your original vote.

Put each game on a different line.
e.g.
1-Solitaire
2-
3-Arkham Horror (1987 Version)

Lastly, anyone can vote. You don't have to be a member of the 1-Player Guild. But if you aren't, we hope you'll consider joining. It's truly a fantastic group of people.

Note: If you're asking me a question in Geekmail, give it a subject different than Top 100 Solo so I look at it immediately otherwise I'll do them in batches.

And finally, one last reminder that I can't stress enough.
This is just for fun!

===================================================================
Note: I may not do a lot of combining after all. Games I might have combines are getting voted on twice by people (e.g. someone votes for Pandemic and Pandemic Iberia) So I may leave them be and then add some notes of what would have happened if they were combined. We'll see. I'll enter them separately for now and see how it goes. Games listed ambiguously will get list under one game. (e.g. Shadows of Brimstone will get listed under Shadows of Brimstone: City of Ancients.)

===================================================================

For Additional fun join Morten's meta game contest:
The People’s Choice Top 100 Solo Games Meta-Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "on a short summer break" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurrah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, Kevin! One tip I often recommend in terms of mentioning a game: Use the "Insert Geek Link" feature and the "Board Game" option. This ensures that you get the right game, and that it's easy to reference should there be a question. Might cut down on some questions, too.

Can't wait to see what happens this year! And with a deadline in November, I should have some more time to get in some more plays. Good luck everyone, and thanks for all of your work with this, Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boomerang Phenomenon
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you've just gone and ruined my day Kevin.

Now I'm going to have to pull my finger out and get some games played ASAP.

Thanks for doing this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great this is happening again Kevin. Many thanks.

At least there is still another month or so yet to try out one or two more of this year's purchases.....

Whatever those plays might bring, my list is going to change significantly after playing some great games this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin!

List already submitted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
Oh boy, so much pressure... I'm not sure I could rank them.... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoooo hoooo!!!!

I submitted a list for the first time last year and I'll be interested to see how my list this year differs.

Guess I should get to crunching those numbers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
List submitted.

3 of my top 4 are new to my list, and none of them are Gloomhaven or 7th Continent (since I have not played them yet).

Such a strong year for solo and solo-able games. Can MK retain its crown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Awesome, Kevin! One tip I often recommend in terms of mentioning a game: Use the "Insert Geek Link" feature and the "Board Game" option. This ensures that you get the right game, and that it's easy to reference should there be a question. Might cut down on some questions, too.

Can't wait to see what happens this year! And with a deadline in November, I should have some more time to get in some more plays. Good luck everyone, and thanks for all of your work with this, Kevin!

Yeah, I thought about that but I want to make it easier for people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the most wonderful time of the year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, some of you really were waiting for this to start. Got 4 entries already.

Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has the distinction of being the first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work - we love you Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Awesome work - we love you Kevin!

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
HOORAY!!!!!! My list is just about done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
HUZZAH!! Here we go again......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dob Razil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you Kevin. Previous lists have been a great inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kevin,

THANK YOU! This is always so much fun, even if you have placed a terrible burden on all of us. Kidding, of course, but I know I'm not alone when I say I take my list of 20 so seriously you'd think I was solving world hunger.

Is there any chance you'll be tipping your hand as to which games you'll be combining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Is there any chance you'll be tipping your hand as to which games you'll be combining?

I think some are really obvious like the D&D games. I get all kinds of votes for different versions of Ascension and I know nothing about it, so I'll combine that. Thunderstone, Shadows of Brimstone, Pathfinder.

We'll see how it goes. I hope people understand I'm not trying to combine or not combine games so that my favorites end up higher. It's for ease and if someone like D&D Castle Ravenloft then they'll probably also like Wrath of Ashardalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
VOTED!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
I hope people understand I'm not trying to combine or not combine games so that my favorites end up higher. It's for ease and if someone like D&D Castle Ravenloft then they'll probably also like Wrath of Ashardalon.
Absolutely. I was thinking the same thing re: Legendary Encounters: Alien and Predator. To me, they're the same game, made better in combination. Alien is likely the better solo game... but I have more fun with Predator... but I don't want to waste a vote... but I haven't played any of the other Legendary Encounters games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
kerskine wrote:
I hope people understand I'm not trying to combine or not combine games so that my favorites end up higher. It's for ease and if someone like D&D Castle Ravenloft then they'll probably also like Wrath of Ashardalon.
Absolutely. I was thinking the same thing re: Legendary Encounters: Alien and Predator. To me, they're the same game, made better in combination. Alien is likely the better solo game... but I have more fun with Predator... but I don't want to waste a vote... but I haven't played any of the other Legendary Encounters games.

Yeah I agree with this.

Just remember, it's all for fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, guess I better step it up so I can get more solo games in before deciding on an order whistle not sure I can find 20 blush I'll probably be waiting until the last minute laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Well, guess I better step it up so I can get more solo games in before deciding on an order whistle not sure I can find 20 blush I'll probably be waiting until the last minute laugh

Don't need 20. But the more the merrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.