5 Posts

Hack Trick» Forums » Rules

Subject: Running out of markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Slick
United States
flag msg tools
Here's what happened in a recent hand I played of the base game.

I am about to win two points: whether my opponent plays or passes, I
will complete a triple involving the x2 marker. But, my opponent is down
to his last two markers, and elects to use them both, saying "Play!"

My first question is: is this legal? I see nothing against it in the rulebook, but I note that playing one's last marker in this way is not allowed by the BoardGameArena implementation of Hack Trick.

My second question is: when is my opponent considered to have run out of markers? Is it (a) as soon as his last marker is played, or (b) as soon as he would need to play a marker but has none remaining? In the situation I described, an answer of (a) means I win only 1 point because my opponent has run out, but (b) means I win 2 points because I get to move and complete my triple.

If the answer is (a), I have a follow-up question: what if I play my last marker to complete a winning triple? Am I considered to have lost because I am out of markers, or won by virtue of the triple?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Please also let me know whether they are just your opinion or are considered official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Running out of cards
None of these are explicitly spelled out in the rules, so these would just be my interpretations:

1) I don't see anything that would forbid you from using your last marker for "Play" or "Block", but it would make you lose the round and your opponent get one point.

2) It would be when you place your last marker. This is supported by the fact that it works that way on BGA. The rules also say:

Quote:
It is also a simple and worth 1 EP, if a player’s opponent runs out of markers.

...so I'd think it means at the time when your opponent runs out.

3) In this situation I'd think you'd score the point(s) from completing the triple before being penalized for running out of markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
József Dorsonczky

Odorhei
Romania
msg tools
designer
Hi Tom,

Q1: Yes, it's completely legal, if your opponent decides to lose the game with 1 point, he can. Even more, in the advanced variant, this is a tactical element in case of multiple code-cards.

Q2, Q3: When you use your last markers and you complete a winning triple, you win. If you don't complete a winning triple you lose IMMEDIATELY.

* I'm the author of HT

Regards,
József
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slick
United States
flag msg tools
Hi József,

Thanks for clearing that up. And congrats on making such an elegant and fun little game. It is a real gem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M

California
msg tools
I ran into this (Q1) BGA rules-error just now. Filed the following bug report and I ask anyone who cares about it getting fixed to please go and comment there:

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=8442

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.