1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Essen planning app rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niels M
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: I visited Essen 6 to 9 timesMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hi all,

So I've been running around Essen the last few years with a bunch of paper maps and notes I could barely read myself, and thought hey, wouldn't it be nice if there was an app for that? So this year I built one.

Main features are:

- select all the games you want to see.
- find out where they are on the map (or just look at the map and see what's around you).
- download everything onto your device, so you don't have to worry about reception.

If you wanna check it out, here are some links:

iPhone Version: http://bit.ly/event-badger-ios
Android Version: http://bit.ly/event-badger-android

Any questions or feedback, lemme know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer.Microbadge: Wally fanMicrobadge: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel loverMicrobadge: I love my Gamer Spouse
I took a look at the website and it all looks very nice and I'm sure there are many who'd love to have a thing like that.

... but I've got to ask something : what's up with everyone wanting maps ? Seriously. This is my list for Hall 1

[Hall 1]

Cube Factory of Ideas -- 1-A-100 -- The Sanctuary : Endangered Species
Drawlab Entertainment -- 1-C-137 -- Mystic Scrolls
GaGa Games -- 1-C-147 -- Lords of the Fjords
Queen Games -- 1-D-121 -- Pioneers, Immortals, Merlin, Solaris
Edition Spielwieze -- 1-D-122 -- Noria
AVStudios (Alban Viard) -- 1-D-129 -- Card City XL
Artipia Games -- 1-D-137 -- Kitchen Rush, 13 Ghosts
Hobby World -- 1-E-151 -- Barbaria, Bronze
CMON -- 1-F-103 -- A Song of Ice & Fire
Morning -- 1-F-131 -- Kill the Unicorns
Lookout Games/Mayfair -- 1-F-133 -- Nusfjord, Riverboat
dlp Games -- 1-F-133 -- Altiplano
Game's Up -- 1-F-133 -- Carthago : Merchants & Guilds
CGE -- 1-F-145 -- Pulsar 2849
Tea Time Productions -- 1-F-148 -- Tribes : Early Civilization
Spiral Galaxy Games -- 1-F-148 -- Sol : Last Days of a Star
Hans im Gluck / Z-MAN -- 1-F-162-3-B-113 -- Valletta, Majesty : For the Realm
NSKN -- 1-G-124 -- Dice Settlers, Dragonsgate College (namiddag), Teotihuacan
Bezier Games -- 1-G-147 -- Whistle Stop

So if I'm at Queen and I want to go to CGE ? That's 2 rows up and all the way to the right. Takes zero effort to figure out, no squinting at maps, no trying to read the tiny booth labels.

So ... why maps ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi Niels,

great idea, and looks good!
My first request would be more options for prioritizing.
I personally find the BGG Preview also to be lacking more options, like two or three categories within Interested.
Is it also possible to highlight the booths on the map where you have an interest/must see? This is probably too tricky, but would've been fantastic.

Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Microbadge: I love Christmas!Microbadge: 2016 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: I love Christmas!
How are the games organized?
I see the full list, but is everything from the preview in there?
Can I sort it alphabetically?

Looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels M
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: I visited Essen 6 to 9 timesMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
@Fridjof B: Some people want more options, some people I showed it to actually want less options. Think it's impossible to make everyone happy on that one.

When you do select a game, then it will show a marker on the map where it is.

@Ilse: Currently no. Order is random. But might be able to add sorting before the fair starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Minecraft: Builders & BiomesMicrobadge: Sabotage fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Desert fanMicrobadge: Reddit fanMicrobadge: Gamer Dad
eddy_sterckx wrote:
So ... why maps ?
Some people only have a limited time, say only 1 or 2 days. My prefered games are also all over the place, especially when keeping priority in mind. It helps to be able to find the most direct route to each stand from anywhere. The maps also include the shortcuts, toilets, etc.

Also, I'll be giving this app a try! Will update later with my thoughts on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Microbadge: Spielworxx fanMicrobadge: Capstone Games fanMicrobadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: What's Your Game fanMicrobadge: FC Porto fan
The app looks great but could be improved...

Like it was suggested, having more option to rank the interest on games would be fantastic... I really don't understand people that say less would be better, why? can't they make up their mind if they have more options?!?!? More options is always better than less options!

Also, a space where we could put some notes would be great... just to add some information or something that we want to note on that game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shingbi wrote:
@Fridjof B: Some people want more options, some people I showed it to actually want less options. Think it's impossible to make everyone happy on that one.
That's a pity. I currently have 100 items on my interested list (I guess I have to cut that in half before next week), but I am pretty sure I am not able to check them all out, so I have made my own prioritizing in a spreadsheet. But would've been handy to kind of connect the dots between my priorities and the map to be more efficient.

shingbi wrote:

When you do select a game, then it will show a marker on the map where it is.
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Guerra
Spain
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: CollectorMicrobadge: Fan of the Star Wars EUMicrobadge: I visited Essen at least 10 times
Fantastic initiative, i will try it this next weekend! Too many things too little time ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excellent, will have a look asap. The paper maps are great to look at beforehand to get an idea where everything is, but it can be a bit cumbersome to check them on the go. I am still very grateful to have them, of course (in case DukeOfEarl is reading this) meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dice hate me!Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Mario Kart fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Live long and prosper
Congratulatios.

But WHY device id permissions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terraforming Alchemist
Latvia
Noctis City
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love Latvia!Microbadge: I love Greece!Microbadge: Neil Gaiman fanMicrobadge: Excel userMicrobadge: Backstabber
Niels, you have made great and huge job! thumbsup
Is there any chance to bind the app with tabletoptogethertool?
It is less than a week till Essen and many of us allready have sorted 1000+ games in tabletoptogethertool, so it would be great to bind plans with allready sorted games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Microbadge: GeekVideos creatorMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer Glass fanMicrobadge: I like multiplayer solitaire!Microbadge: Care Bear Gamer
wow, what a great little app! if there were a 'donate-ware' button in it, i would happily click it to send a bit of $ your way for sharing this!

as for feature requests, i'd say my #1 would be a way to search by publisher name and find them on the map for when I'm walking around at the show and realize i need to go to a particular place and I'm not sure where it is. maybe a 6th "exhibitor" tab which shows an alphabetized list of all publishers, and if i scroll through it to find the one i want and tap it, i'm shown where they are on the map?

speaking of the map, a higher resolution one that allows you to see the actual booth numbers if you zoom in would be fantastic!

also, a 4th ranking button would be great with a € symbol and the title "must buy", to add to the "must see" "interested" and "not interested" options already there.

also, a bug report: i tried to use the filter to set minimum # of players to 2, but it still shows me 3 player games in the ranking tab.

once again, thanks for sharing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Discordian
shingbi wrote:
Hi all,

So I've been running around Essen the last few years with a bunch of paper maps and notes I could barely read myself, and thought hey, wouldn't it be nice if there was an app for that? So this year I built one.
I stopped using paper maps and notes years ago, when I found notes and lists apps on my phone. But I'll take a look at your app as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Bol
Netherlands
Woerden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Spiel ein spiel mit mir!
badge
E-xit!!!
Microbadge: Untappd - Drink SociallyMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Stout Beer fan - thick and headyMicrobadge: I Store Game Boxes On Their SideMicrobadge: I put components in separate Ziploc bags
Are some games missing? Cant fint Pinball Showdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sabine
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Feuerland Spiele fanMicrobadge: Microbadges are the bee's kneesMicrobadge: Eurogamer
Einfach großartig 😀 Danke!!!
PS: Unlock Mysterium, Splendor und BuBu Dice werden auf der Map außerhalb der Hallen angezeigt.
—IOS App

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels M
Germany
flag msg tools
Quote:
wow, what a great little app! if there were a 'donate-ware' button in it, i would happily click it to send a bit of $ your way for sharing this!
Well, my plan is to use this as a showcase to convince event organizers to pay me to make event apps for them, so while I'm not looking for donations, if you wanna help me out you can:

- share it with other people who are going to Essen or board game communities.
- give it a (hopefully good) rating on the play / app store.
- if you happen to know anyone who's organizing a fair / convention / conference, connect me to'em.

Quote:
Why device id permissions?
I think the device id permission was added automatically by the component I'm using for cross platform development (ios / android). I'm not doing anything with it.

Quote:
Integrate with tabletoptogether / BGG
Unfortunately, the data isn't exposed, so I can't access that. Same goes with the Essen preview from BGG (there's an export function, but you have to be logged in to use it, which makes it complicated).

Quote:
Search for stand / publisher on map
It's on the todo list, not sure if I'll manage until the fair starts.

Quote:
Higher resolution map on android.
I do have a high res version and it's shown on ios, but for some reason android has trouble handling an image that large. Would love to do this, but can't.

Quote:
also, a bug report: i tried to use the filter to set minimum # of players to 2, but it still shows me 3 player games in the ranking tab.
The filters are inclusive. So if you put in 2 players it will show you all games that can be played with 2 players, not just games that can only be played with 2 players.

Quote:
Are some games missing? Cant fint Pinball Showdown
It's not in the current dataset for the app. Unfortunately, it's impossible to access any data from the BGG preview directly, so I have to manually map board games to locations (so much fun -__-). Going to put out an update this weekend.

Quote:
PS: Unlock Mysterium, Splendor und BuBu Dice are shown outside the map
Last time I checked, I couldn't find out at which stand they were being shown. Will check again (and not show them outside the map if I don't know where they are).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
I do have a high res version and it's shown on ios, but for some reason android has trouble handling an image that large. Would love to do this, but can't.
Too bad because at the moment the booth numbers are unreadable on Android which makes it very difficult to find out where on the map you are and which direction you should go in. Perhaps another file extension?
I don't suppose gps positioning is an option? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieske
Netherlands
Abcoude
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
Thanks for the great app! Really helpfull!

BUG? --->
There is a "Seen" icon on Hall 3 map. No games are selected as "SEEN" just yet.

When I press this icon for more info, the app exits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Minecraft: Builders & BiomesMicrobadge: Sabotage fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Desert fanMicrobadge: Reddit fanMicrobadge: Gamer Dad
I've used the search feature to add my Tabletop Together list into the app. I'm curious to see how it will work at the fair. It's looking good!

Here's my final map. It's for a 2 day visit. I'll also go to the Math Trade and hopefully the Dice Tower podcast. Should be realistic... right?

From gallery of yorickh

I'm curious to see how the other peoples maps look like. Rahdo's especially

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I backed Gloomhaven on KickstarterMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Nations fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Agricola: Farmers of the Moor fan
Very convenient to have the app store all my must sees and immediately pin them on the convention map!

I would love if you add a share function, more degrees of priority for the board games on my list (medium interested and must buy for example). Also it would be nice if you could pin publishers or just booth numbers (with an option to add notes).

Thanks for making this, rated it 5 stars on the App Store!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Hub Games fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Holding On: The Troubled Life of Billy Kerr fan
Thank you Neils for taking the time to design, code and share this App. I'm pretty sure it's going to improve the lives of many gamers (myself included) during Essen,

Now, must go check whether Untold: Adventures Await and Blank are listed! ;D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thorben
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
...repeat...
badge
...long slow goodbye...
Microbadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Doomtown: Reloaded fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Baden-Württemberg, GermanyMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
Every time I change the preference of a game (from "Must See" to "Interested" for example) the app crashes (on Android).

Can this be fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels M
Germany
flag msg tools
Quote:
Too bad because at the moment the booth numbers are unreadable on Android which makes it very difficult to find out where on the map you are and which direction you should go in. Perhaps another file extension?
I don't suppose gps positioning is an option?
Already changed from PNG to JPG (PNG wouldn't show at all), which is why it's blurry in the first place. I'm sure it's solvable... just not in the time that's left. :/ At least now it shows booth numbers in the pop up, which hopefully makes it a little easier to orient yourself. But not ideal, I know.

GPS / indoor positioning? Sure, at some point in the far future if it takes off.

Quote:
BUG? --->
There is a "Seen" icon on Hall 3 map. No games are selected as "SEEN" just yet.

When I press this icon for more info, the app exits.
That was a bug when games were being shown at multiple booths. Should be fixed in the latest update.

Quote:
I would love if you add a share function, more degrees of priority for the board games on my list (medium interested and must buy for example). Also it would be nice if you could pin publishers or just booth numbers (with an option to add notes).
All on the todo list for the next event. Except for more degrees of priority.. still not sure if everyone would appreciate that. Though, maybe I'll look into making it configurable.

Final updates for both platforms are out, by the way. There was a big bug where the update would fail if you've categorized all games already that should be fixed, so if you've had problems with that, get yourself updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels M
Germany
flag msg tools
thorbman wrote:
Every time I change the preference of a game (from "Must See" to "Interested" for example) the app crashes (on Android).

Can this be fixed?
Another bug that happened if all games were categorized already (or the filter was set so no games were shown), should be fixed in this update as well. Let me know if it still happens after the update.

(Just submitted the apps, might be a couple of hours until they are available for download.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |