Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played first game of this last night, and had a couple of things come up that I couldn't adequately address.

Freeze Bid: So I understand you can freeze bid before a player bids anything, but what about a player playing a freeze bid on the starting player? He hasn't bid anything yet, so he doesn't have anything to freeze at, but neither is his bid below another person's bid, so where does that put him? I ruled that since there wasn't an existing bid, he wasn't "out", and by the time it came back to him, he would still be able to bid.

Also, if no players yet have a troop tile, can a player choose the "Start A War" action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:More Freeze bid and other questions
Windopaene (#30155),

The freeze bid can only be used to freeze a bid, not freeze out a player before they bid anything. So the only way a player will be frozen with no bid is if they bid nothing, in which case they are out anyway.

I believe starting a war when there are no armies is fine, but nobody would be able to represent either the aggressor or the defender as in order to bid you must have an army.

I am sure there will be someone to correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly sure this is the way it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead (#30156),

No I'm pretty sure Hammy stated in another one of these threads that you CAN freeze bid someone before they have bid, just not sure how it would work if you tried to freeze the starting bidder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actually, you are able to freeze a player even before they get to bid. BUT, you have to play it on your turn. So, theoretically, you couldn't freeze the starting player insofaras stopping his first bid, but you **could** play a freeze bid on him/her when it comes to your turn, disabling his/her ability to increase his/her bid.
You could play a freeze bid on a player who hasn't had the opportunity to bid, 'freezing' them out of the auction...

That's how I believe it works, and how we play it in our group.

wiz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizardless (#30197),

Ah thanks mark, that's so obvious, I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me. Makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Windopaene (#30155),

>Freeze Bid: So I understand you can freeze bid before a
>player bids anything, but what about a player playing a
>freeze bid on the starting player? He hasn't bid anything
>yet, so he doesn't have anything to freeze at, but
>neither is his bid below another person's bid, so where
>does that put him? I ruled that since there wasn't an
>existing bid, he wasn't "out", and by the time it came
>back to him, he would still be able to bid.
You can only play "Freeze bid" during your own bid so the initial bidder can ALLWAYS make at least one bid. Other than that you can freeze anyones bid even before they make their own. If you want to aviod being frozen you better make a good bid right away. This bid wil remain active unless topped by another player.

>Also, if no players yet have a troop tile, can a player
>choose the "Start A War" action?
Yes you can allways start a war even if you have no troops. You just cannot bid to be condottiere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Douwecarel (#30225),

Gerard, I was saying that NO players have any troops, (like on the first turn of the game), so NO ONE would be able to be the condotierre. It just seems a bit odd. It would almost seem like an obvious first play for a player who wasn't planning on pursuing a military strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene (#30255),

Calling a war when no players have army tiles does reduce the number of wars available for players to fight but at a cost of one pick for the player choosing the war and it will only work if you are the first player or if all players who have gone before you haven't picked an army tile.

In most of our games it is usual for player 1 to grab an army tile of some sort which rules this idea out.

It is something I might try next time I play

Yours

Hammy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Windopaene (#30255),
I see, well I guess both cities would just fight with the +3 modifier making the probability of doubling rather slim (1/12).

Burning turns just to burn wars seems like a terrible waste. Turns are the most scarce thing in this game. I would be surprised if people ever did ithis and won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.