Recommend
80 
 Thumb up
 Hide
364 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion FINAL 04.2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Wiecheć
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ahoy!


As a disclaimer, I did not intend to infringe on anyones copyright with pictures or game ideas. This was a fan project with only fun in mind.



Little backgroud WHY:

I bought Terraforming Mars in March 2017 as a birthday gift for myself cause I loved the theme (physicist and architect here - building on mars? HELL YEAH!). Since that time this game became a weekly play for me and my friends. At this point we played more than 80 games 2-5 players. At some point we got Hellas and Elysium but we wanted more. We found new corporations online, created some based on our experience. Later we speculated about what kind of projects or cards would be fun and thematic. Our thoughts materialised in our own created expansion. We are great fans of scifi, just geeky nerds (haha).


Little backgroud THEME and GAMEPLAY:


The cards are balanced to the standard draw and choose rule. While playing the Pathfinders I would advice not to use the world government rule that you increase chosen global parameter. At the time of this release Colonies are not here yet so I do not know how they will affect balance of the game after this.
The expansion do not change any of the existing mechanics of the game.

I know that cards looks a little different than originals but they were recreated entirely in graphic software. Some of descriptions are made more clear for my newbie friends. I think the cards are similar enough.

Theme focuses on expansion of humanity in the solar system. Building new societies and culture. Focusing on some extra projects on Mars connected with information and culture.

WHAT IS NEW:
1. 63 new project cards with 5 mega-structures (cards with 4 tags);
2. 20 new corporations (some of them are based on what we seen on BBG - hello chimera and soylent);
3. 13 new prelude cards;
4. 2 new tags: MARS and PLANET OF CHOICE;
5. new resource: DATA;
6. 3 new special tiles : New Venice, Wetlands, Crash Site;
7. Solar system mini board to place new mega-structures and track the progress on planetary influence tracks (and gather bonuses for reaching some levels);
8. NEW SIDE MECHANIC: planetary influence track that represents society development of terraformers and space settlers.
9. 2 new colony tiles
10. new map

RULES INCLUDED IN FILE

Some previews:


Gameplay impact: When players play a card with planetary tag, they increase global progress of that planet. Every 3 -4 steps every player gets a small reward and player who increased the step gets some additional reward. Everyone has a reason to contribute, some new strategies arise. Rewards gets better the higher the steps. Every planet gives back as a thank you what they can - related thematicaly.

Miniboard rules:
Every tag starts at 0 (planet next to 1). Planetary tags on corporations DO increase the track. You use the normal bronze token (1) to represent the global level of each progression for the tag. When the token reaches (steps on) the level with a white dot, players recievie the bonus. ^- represents the bonus for the player who raides the tag to the bonus level. * - represents the bonus that EVERY player gets at the time when token reaches the bonus level. For the kickstarter card you put your colour tag next to the planetary tag you chosen on the miniboard.

Have in mind that those cards are made with the idea of drawing 4 random cards each generation and buying those you want.

ENGLISH VERSION with all teh files and explaination how to print (includes everything):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qgc1usccdgg67b/Terraforming%20Mar...


CHEEEERS!

korean version!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2089984/terraforming-mas-pa...


85 
 Thumb up
110
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BD
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Wow, this is awesome, absolutely outstanding!

Lots of great ideas and you created something to a high standard with the card images, artwork, etc. I will study these with pleasure and look forward to including them in the base game. I did notice that the new tiles were not included in the download with the link that you provided - unless I missed something?

Can't think of a suggested title at the moment. Thank you for your labor of love and sharing it with other TM fans.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiecheć
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
2geminis wrote:
Wow, this is awesome, absolutely outstanding!

Lots of great ideas and you created something to a high standard with the card images, artwork, etc. I will study these with pleasure and look forward to including them in the base game. I did notice that the new tiles were not included in the download with the link that you provided - unless I missed something?


I uploaded the wrong file, changed it to the right one. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Wow!!surprisesurprise

I will try this soon.

I know you spend tons of time here, but how about the flavor text? Am i asking too much?

This is the final version right?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
found a typo on "Dyson Screens". Titan should be Titanium right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Cool stuff. A lot of interesting ideas.

Errata: card "Secret Labs" has 2 science tags in the requirements area, but the text says requires 1 science tag and 1 jovian tag.

Not a fan of the joke card "Flat Mars Theory". This is antithematic, and potentially insulting to Christians, for no clear reason.

Last, I suspect you need some permissions to post these up for download.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Some of these cards seem way undercosted. The Dyson Screens, for example: +2 Energy Production and 2 Temperature levels would cost a total of 50 using Standard Projects (and four separate actions), and that doesn't include a free card, a victory point, heat production, a science tag, and a city, and the action to further increase energy and heat production for titanium.

Also there should be a way to distinguish the Natural Martian Wonders from the Reserved Area (or whatever that card is called). Both put a player marker on an empty space, but do different things. If one player plays both of these cards, there's no way to tell which is which. This shouldn't be too hard of a problem to fix, though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiecheć
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
dchamp wrote:
found a typo on "Dyson Screens". Titan should be Titanium right?


Should be titanium yes. Sorry!
I will reupload the file today evening.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
I can't open the file, do the images contain everything?

Anyways some very nice ideas. Thematically the "Mars tag" is a little weird because most of the existing cards are "mars related", it's a little hard to justify some of your cards having Mars tags while existing cards do not. Even some of your choices about which cards have Mars tags and which do not seem arbitrary (why wouldn't "early expedition" have it for example?). But that's a minor quibble.

Seems like reaching the top of the global progress levels is going to be a pretty rare event. I didn't count how many did you add of each tag but the base game (with CE) has only 12 jovian cards, and your track end on 15. Earth tags are 22 and your track ends on 20. Didn't count your additions but I don't know if they chage much in a 200 cards deck. Need to think how rare you want the progress level to max out and tune it accordingly. I'd say, not every game but not too rarely either to make shooting for majority worthwhile.

This guide is a nice way to go about balancing the cards costs. Of course only playtesting can give definite answers about balance (and even then not completely) but the price lists there can give a nice start.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiecheć
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
File is standard PDF file.

I know Mars tag may seem weird. It is on the cards that are conected thematicly with people, culture, caring about planet itself and for the prominent projects for this expansion.

Introducing it was the simplest way for introducing simple progres track.

I have seen the guide for the average costs. Sometimes I considered it, sometimes I went more with the theme and idea of a card over average feel of it. So far we did not find the "I win form now" card. megastructure cards like Dyson Screens (which seems to be the most powerfull) are rarely used (because of very specific bonus) from my experience but they give great boost to corpos like Helion which need it. And they make epic gameplay when they are played with good combos.
Have in mind that those cards are made with the idea of drawing 4 random cards each generation and bying the ones you want.

The tag track shows reachable levels. I have a fancy colorfull Excel file with all the numbers. Reaching the top one will be rare - that is the point of the track (and porewrfull reward) to see which planed will develop best each time you play. We had games with 18 Jovian tags and with 5 Earth tags. And we had games with Mars on top. Each game will have its own story about people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Great work, really! First fanmade expansion! I think the idea of the expansion is great. Many of the cards are great. Of course as you say, balancing issues are there. The worst balance issues I can see is that your cards have loads of tags, I didn’t count but it feels like most cards have 3 or 4 tags. In base game and corporate era expansion, 3 tags is rare. I think you should try to remove some tags, especially Jovian tags, probably even some more.

I really like the wetlands, new Venice and the concept of tag race. I don’t think it will hurt if the tracks was even longer as there will probably be more expansions with even more tags, so if your expansion focus on providing mars tags, other expansions can add the majority of the other tags.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe
France
Perpignan
flag msg tools
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Maybe there is some reason that some cards have four tags because i think some need more challenge. Or cards have 4 tags, you can choose three of them for to play trhem if you want things easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
krixoff wrote:
Maybe there is some reason that some cards have four tags because i think some need more challenge. Or cards have 4 tags, you can choose three of them for to play trhem if you want things easier.


Huh? A card having more tags makes it give more to the engine than if it has fewer. Therefore, more tags is better.

More tags in requirement makes it harder but that wan't what I was talking about.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Talmanes wrote:

Not a fan of the joke card "Flat Mars Theory". This is antithematic, and potentially insulting to Christians, for no clear reason.


Well, there is also no thematic reason why the current game contains Christianity related symbols...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
karelpepiku wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Not a fan of the joke card "Flat Mars Theory". This is antithematic, and potentially insulting to Christians, for no clear reason.


Well, there is also no thematic reason why the current game contains Christianity related symbols...


Religious symbolism aside, I disagree that "Flat Mars Theory" would be antithematic. History suggests that there will always be a slice of humanity that denies reality for whatever reason. It's difficult to imagine this won't continue to be true into the far future.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
karelpepiku wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Not a fan of the joke card "Flat Mars Theory". This is antithematic, and potentially insulting to Christians, for no clear reason.


Well, there is also no thematic reason why the current game contains Christianity related symbols...

It does? I have never noticed them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Minimalist
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Talmanes wrote:

It does? I have never noticed them.


Me neither
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Talmanes wrote:
karelpepiku wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Not a fan of the joke card "Flat Mars Theory". This is antithematic, and potentially insulting to Christians, for no clear reason.


Well, there is also no thematic reason why the current game contains Christianity related symbols...

It does? I have never noticed them.


Some well-hidden things in the game can be considered as related to Christianity. Maybe it is just a coincidence and their purpose has nothing to do with religion. I really do not care. But it may offend someone the same way as the Flat Mars Theory card. If somebody wants to feel offended, they always find a reason. Either way, let's keep terraforming
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay B
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Having a 'Flat Mars Theory' isn't offensive in general, but having a statue of Jesus in the picture - implying Christians believe in flat Mars/Earth - would be.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
The Flat Mars Theory really doesn't make much sense at all. How can it possibly be of any benefit, thematically speaking? And the art doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. What does a statue of Jesus have to do with Mars being flat? It would make just as much sense to have a statue of a flamingo.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
jaybmate wrote:
Having a 'Flat Mars Theory' isn't offensive in general, but having a statue of Jesus in the picture - implying Christians believe in flat Mars/Earth - would be.

Exactly. The card text might be a harmless joke by itself. But clearly there is no reason for the chosen art other than to deliberately insult a particular religious faith. Uncalled for IMO.

karelpepiku wrote:
Some well-hidden things in the game can be considered as related to Christianity. Maybe it is just a coincidence and their purpose has nothing to do with religion.

A few examples maybe? I am genuinely curious, and would like to evaluate for myself whether it is coincidence.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Now that is some really impressive work. A lot of great Ideas and I am really jealous of your Photoshop Kung Fu.

What I don't like:

- Missing Flavor texts.
- Cards like Solar or Dust storms who are not man made. If theses are man made the flavor text should say so, then it would be fixed for me.
- Some card's cost/balancing (which is easy to fix)
- Too much different effects on some cards (Like Transshipment station, Ceres, Dyson, Lunar Embassy) I know it is tempting to create theses super power cards, because deep down inside we want our creations to rock the world Mars. But I usually does not improve the game.
- Too much tags. (same argument as with previous point)

That said:
I will try to convince my group to test most of those cards.
I love the Artwork. A lot of the Ideas are great.
If you want to work together just gimme a ping.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe
France
Perpignan
flag msg tools
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Oh my bad, i'm so sorry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seter peres
msg tools
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
Great work, we will definitely try this, any chance that you can upload the corporations? we are looking forward for them.

Thanks again for the effort and for sharing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Wiecheć
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Terraforming Mars "Pathfinders" - full fan expansion
dulux wrote:
Great work, we will definitely try this, any chance that you can upload the corporations? we are looking forward for them.

Thanks again for the effort and for sharing.


Updated with corpos we play Sorry, I had little time lately and my Corel file died so I had to remake half of them .
ENJOY!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.