The Networks» Forums » General

Subject: "Big Game" network card too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a two player game I was winning all the time from the beginning until this card appeared in the fifth season and well, there was nothing to do.

I guess that was the intention of it? A bit swingy?

Similar experiences?

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
In a two player game I was winning all the time from the beginning until this card appeared in the fifth season and well, there was nothing to do.

I guess that was the intention of it? A bit swingy?

Similar experiences?

robot

How many viewers did it get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 + 9 = 11

It was the game. In the future I´ll try to get it every time.

Maybe in non two player games it is less disruptive.

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
2 + 9 = 11

It was the game. In the future I´ll try to get it every time.

Maybe in non two player games it is less disruptive.

robot

Honestly, that's not too far from other endgame Network Cards. Like, Good Branding or Awards Show will score 8-10 Viewers as well if you work for it.

Also, 11 is the high end for Big Game. I've seen plenty of players only able to scrounge 2-4 Viewers from it, because they're going with a lot of Stars.

I've played plenty of other games where I thought "this card is way unbalanced" the first time I saw it used to win, and then the next few times I saw it, it wasn't a factor. Play a few more times and see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gil... I´ll play more!

This defeat was painful...

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for the thread necro, but really the only right place to put this...

I've played two games of this so far, once 2p to evaluate it with my wife, and once 3p with a friend.

Both times, "The Big Game" has completely decided the game.

In the 2p game, I started w/ Sit Coms but ended up in Sports Broadcasting with 6 Advertisements totaling $15 across the three sport shows in my lineup. (They were all $3 or $2 adverts, many of them the kind that are only good if attached to sports, which they were). I had both "The Big Games" which ended being worth 2x (2 + 15) = 34 points.

In the 3p game, just yesterday, some of the good sports shows ended up being among the cards that weren't in the mix, but I still had both "The Big Game" cards and had managed to attach $12 worth of advertising to my shows, a few of them being Promotions, which also upped viewership. That pair of Big Games were worth 2x(2+12) = 28 points.

The most the Network card that gives 2 point per show of a given type would be worth is in the 10ish points range - and there are incentives to prevent players from getting to 5 of a single genre.

We've learned to be leery of this card, and to try to prevent one person getting both of them, as it then lets them skew their lineup to pure advertising.

What's interesting is that the Network cards weren't immediately snapped up either - they did sit there for a bit until I finally chose to "Commit". Maybe next time I won't be afforded the same opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls