Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving the Incident marker after an Outbreak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Judson
msg tools
Pre-ordered the game today - mega excited! I've already read the rules PDF, and had one query.

During Infections, each Plague cube placed causes the Incident marker to move one space. However, during an Outbreak (when there are already 3 Plague cubes on a city), you don't place a 4th cube. Does that mean that the Incident marker would not be moved forwards either? (This is all taken from p14 of the rules).

My own thought is that you would still move the Incident marker forward, since you would have normally placed a cube, but I wanted to check I wasn't about to make the game harder for myself!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Judders87 wrote:
Pre-ordered the game today - mega excited! I've already read the rules PDF, and had one query.

During Infections, each Plague cube placed causes the Incident marker to move one space. However, during an Outbreak (when there are already 3 Plague cubes on a city), you don't place a 4th cube. Does that mean that the Incident marker would not be moved forwards either? (This is all taken from p14 of the rules).

My own thought is that you would still move the Incident marker forward, since you would have normally placed a cube, but I wanted to check I wasn't about to make the game harder for myself!
Looking at the rules, you do not move the incident marker just because an outbreak occurs, but if the outbreak causes plague cubes to be placed in adjacent cities, each of those cubes would cause the incident marker to advance.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time you need to place a plague cube, the incident track moves up. An outbreak would cause the incident track to increase by 1 for each city connected to the out breaking city. That would likely end your current game right there as that means you have placed at least 3 cubes plus now 1-X more and the incident track is 8 long I believe.

12 games in and we've had 0 outbreaks. The thought of even 1 is terrifying.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
simland wrote:
An outbreak would cause the incident track to increase by 1 for each city connected to the out breaking city.
Only if the surrounding cities don't have any supply cubes, right?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy Season 2 rulebook, Page 14, Incidents wrote:
An incident happens whenever a Plague cube is placed into a location. Move the Incident marker forward 1 space on the Incident track.
Pandemic Legacy Season 2 rulebook, Page 14, Outbreaks wrote:
When an outbreak occurs, remove 1 Supply cube from every location adjacent to the city. If the connected location does not have a Supply cube, place 1 Plague cube instead. Move the Incident marker forward 1 space on the Incident track for each Plague cube placed.
With these two taken together, I would say an Outbreak does not necessarily move the Incident Marker up, as long as each city adjacent to the city that suffered the Outbreak has at least one Supply cube on it.

To get super rules-stickler-y about it, an Incident is specifically defined as when you would place a Plague cube. During an Outbreak, it is possible to not place any Plague cubes. In those cases, you would not have experienced an Incident.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
simland wrote:
An outbreak would cause the incident track to increase by 1 for each city connected to the out breaking city.
Only if the surrounding cities don't have any supply cubes, right?
You are correct. Sorry. The situations where an outbreak was even a possibility, it was because things were really not going well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Judson
msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
Pandemic Legacy Season 2 rulebook, Page 14, Incidents wrote:
An incident happens whenever a Plague cube is placed into a location. Move the Incident marker forward 1 space on the Incident track.
Pandemic Legacy Season 2 rulebook, Page 14, Outbreaks wrote:
When an outbreak occurs, remove 1 Supply cube from every location adjacent to the city. If the connected location does not have a Supply cube, place 1 Plague cube instead. Move the Incident marker forward 1 space on the Incident track for each Plague cube placed.
With these two taken together, I would say an Outbreak does not necessarily move the Incident Marker up, as long as each city adjacent to the city that suffered the Outbreak has at least one Supply cube on it.

To get super rules-stickler-y about it, an Incident is specifically defined as when you would place a Plague cube. During an Outbreak, it is possible to not place any Plague cubes. In those cases, you would not have experienced an Incident.
Thanks for this. To be clear, I'm not talking about any extra plague cubes which may be dropped on neighbouring cities as a result of the Outbreak. I'm asking about whether the '4th' Plague cube dropped on the Outbreaking city (which doesn't actually drop on the board) moves the Incident Marker.

As Dexter345 says above, reading the rules literally seems to imply it doesn't move the Marker, but this doesn't really seem in the intentions of the rules, hence my confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question, so thanks!

Basically, from starting rules it seems that the Incident Marker is basically pointless since it hits the top point exactly at the moment you place the last Plague cube out of the supply onto the board - the Incident marker moves up exactly one space per Plague cube that goes out, and there's no way for Plague cubes to come off the board (unless there's a starting Rationed Event that allows it).

Of course, I'm sure that changes as time goes on and therefore it's good practice to use the Incident Tracker from the start, but it's a useful observation (if correct) in terms of knowing when to move the Incident track.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Judson
msg tools
Ah, I had not noticed that, well spotted! That makes me think that actually you do only move the tracker whenever you place a cube. Though, as you say, I'm sure that more plague cubes (or some other horror) will come in to play as the game goes on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Maaninen
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a new rule might make the tracker move in a specific situation...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook makes it clear that while there is no way to remove plague cubes initially, that there might be game effects that allow it in the future, and that removing a plague cube does not affect the Incidents track. So at the beginning the number of plague cubes on the board is the same as the number of Incidents, that won't always be the case.

So yeah, with the starting rules, the Incidents track is redundant. But I doubt it stays that way for too long.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls