Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
Hello everyone!

I present to you our set of factions.
We play these factions for about six months, for each of them about 5-10 games were played. And now I decided that the current versions are close to balanced.
I hope that these factions will please you and get a lot of fun. I will be happy with any suggestions and feedback. thumbsup

Zealots.
Concept:
Religious fanatics recruit own adherents among ordinary parishioners. To later be used for their own purposes as slaves.
Ability:
1. At any time in their turn, may be exchanged 1 priest for 2 workers.
2. This action can be performed when gain a priest in any way, even if there is not a single priest left in your pool. (That is, you can change the gain priest to gain 2w)
Stronghold:
When using own ability, get 1VP. (Although the icon of the stronghold ability on the board depicts only the case of the priest's exchange for workers, all the same 1VP will be obtained with any use of the ability)
Other:
Build of the dwelling cost 2w 1c. The income from the 3rd and the 6th dwellings is 1 priest, income from the 8th dwelling is 1w. The cost of the stronghold is 3w 6c. The cost of the sanctuary is 4w 10c, income is 2 priests.

Goblins.
Concept:
Goblins - a faction that can obtain almost any resource through alternative sources.
Ability:
At the beginning of the game, put three action tokens on your board. Special action: spend one action token, choose one of 4 possible bonuses: 1pw for each dwelling built (max 8), 2c for each trade post built (max 8), 1w for each temple built (max 3), promotion in any cult for each stronghold or sanctuary built (max 2). The spended token is returned to the general stock. To gain new tokens to use this ability is possible only through of the goblins ability and in no other way. You may spend only one token in one action (Can be used multiple times per round).
Stronghold:
1. Income - 1 action token to use the ability of goblins.
2. If one town of goblins grows to strength 12, then they gain a second town token. This is considered the foundation of the new town.
3. After building a stronghold, the 5th method of using the token is available - exchange for 2VP.
Other:
After building temple or sanctuary, gain 1 token. Cost of building a temple, stronghold, sanctuary increased (5w 8c - SH/SA, 2w 6c - TE)

Water elementals.
Concept:
The first faction, capable of being built on the space of the river.
Ability:
The first two dwellings of water elementals are located on the river. The remaining buildings must be built on land.
Stronghold:
After building a stronghold, water elementals get the ability to build dwelling on water space. The cost of building such a dwelling is 1w 3c. The river does not need a terraforming, but it is necessary to clear the pollution . Before the build it is necessary to spend as many spades as the buildings of other players are in directly adjacent to this space. This action is considered a dig, spends spades and brings victory points for spades. (Properties. Can not cleansing dig more than the number of buildings other players are in directly adjacent. Partial cleaning is possible - it is necessary to specify for example a power token. A cleansing dig is possible before the Stronghold is built). Buildings of water elementals do not interfere with navigation. Dwellings built on the river can be upgraded.
Other:
Reduced the cost of advance ship: 1p 2c. Reduced the cost of advance dig: 1p 2w 3c.

Elves.
Concept:
The town of the elves are sources of magical power throughout the game. They give not only a one-time bonus, but income each turn.
Ability:
Each built town of elves is an also additional action. Used in a similar way to other additional actions and gain 4pw.
Stronghold:
After building a stronghold, the elves gets additional actions: can exchange 5pw to 2 priests or 5pw to 2 spades. (Can be used multiple times per round.)
Other:
1. Elves started with three cults.
2. For the founding of the town the elves have enough strength 6 (just as if you have a favor 2fire. This does not stack with favor 2fire)

Trolls.
Concept:
I wanted to create a faction that could degrade own buildings. To some extent. These reflections led me to the trolls faction, which can rebuild the trade post back to the improved dwelling.
Ability:
Trolls can build unique improved dwelling - a cave of trolls. The cave of trolls has strength of two and the income is 1w 2c 2pw. To denote such a dwelling, one should put 1 powertoken into the territory with the dwelling and 1 powertoken on the player's board, closing the income of the dwelling that was built (We put the house upright and put a token on top). The cave of trolls is not a dwelling and does not gain VP anyway when they are given for a dwelling. However, when building a cave of trolls you get 3vp. This action is an upgrade (Can be used multiple times per round, can be power leech).
Ways to build a cave of trolls:
1. Rebuilding a trading post into a cave of trolls. This costs 1w 2c and gain 3vp.
2. Rebuilding a dwelling into a cave of trolls. This costs 3w 4c and gain 3vp. Also it requires the presence of another cave of trolls in directly adjacent.
Stronghold:
Each cave of trolls is equated to two buildings (actual for the construction of cities and when calculating the maximum length of the chain of buildings).
Other:
Income from the 8th dwelling is 1w.

Architects.
Concept:
The second faction, tied to bridges. I always considered the bridge the narrowest place in the game. (Sometimes it is advantageous even to take the bridge to the detriment of yourself, because an unfinished town can deprive 10-15 VP)
I even wanted to use a home rull according to which a new action is being introduced to build the bridge. But when I started developing factions, I decided that this would be a feature of one of the factions. Also, the red factions have a hard time with the territory, so the second feature was to build bridges to help dig.
So, architects.
Ability:
Bridge architects in calculating the strength of the city is equal to the strength of 1. This does not affect the length of the town and chain of buildings. This does not affect the power leech in any way. Also, the territory across the bridge costs one spade less.
Stronghold:
Special action. Rebuild your constructed bridge to another location. It is possible to move the bridge that is part of the town. But you can not move the bridge, if it destroys the already built city. This action is the construction of a bridge and brings the VP every time (2/3/4 depending on the number of constructed bridges. See below).
Other:
In the game with the architects all players have 9th possible actions - the construction of the bridge. Like advance spades and navigating this action requires a priest and resources and for the construction of the bridge are given VP: 2/3/4 VP for the 1st / 2nd / 3rd bridge (For each players).
P.S.
After working out the faction, I realized that it is very similar to Efreets Alban Thomas, but I liked the final version so much that I did not change it. Perhaps, with further testing, new interesting thoughts will appear, time will tell

Hermits.
Concept:
The second faction (after the swarmlings), perfectly feeling alone and even aspiring to it.
Ability:
1. Hermits can not leech the power when next to them are built by other players. Abilities associated with power leech (eg, cultists, shapeshifters) do not interact with hermits.
2. When any other player builds a trading post anywhere in the map, the hermits can gain 2 power. This is not power leech. Abilities associated with power leech do not interact with hermits.
Stronghold:
1. Income - promotion in any cult.
2. After building a stronghold, all directly adjacent territories of red or brown color become yellow. Like the nomads, this ability does not work across the river and is not the use spades.
Other:
The cost of building trading post is 2w 3c in regardless of the presence nearby of buildings of other players. The cost of stronghold is 4w 4c. The income of all trading posts is 2c 2pw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
I want to say a little about our group of players.
Usually we play four of us (rarely three or five). With the addition of "fire & ice" (however, additional scoring tile are rarely used). Usually we combine standard races with new ones.
Also we play online on terra.snellman.net and have a rating of 1250+.

I also remember Grovast's recommendation to make a separate topic for each faction, but now there are so many of them that I decided to better make one topic for the entire set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. And you say these are balanced compared to normal factions? E.g. the Elves seem very powerful to me (and not just in a literal sense ).

Regarding the Architects: does normal bridge building via ACT1 (or ACTE for the Engineers) also gain VP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
DocCool wrote:
Nice. And you say these are balanced compared to normal factions? E.g. the Elves seem very powerful to me (and not just in a literal sense ).

Regarding the Architects: does normal bridge building via ACT1 (or ACTE for the Engineers) also gain VP?
Yeah, Elves look really strong. Towns require only strength 6 AND +4pw per town and round (!) AND unlimited double spades for 5pw with the stronglhold. (And three starting cult steps.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
Hi, DocCool!

DocCool wrote:
Nice. And you say these are balanced compared to normal factions?
In our games, the standard factions usually win. About in 70% of games. Therefore it seems to me that the new factions are not broken. The winner on average gets 140-160 points.

DocCool wrote:
E.g. the Elves seem very powerful to me (and not just in a literal sense ).
Elves are a fairly slow faction compared to other green ones.
All their abilities are additional actions. This weakens them somewhat.
Towns do not appear at the beginning of the game. The stronghold also does not give a decisive advantage, but rather is a synergy to their basic ability.
Elves feel comfortable if they are given a quick build at least one town. If all their towns appear closer to the end of the game, then they lose to the witches. At the beginning of the development, they did not have the base "2fire", the elves showed weakly.
If it turns out that the elves are stronger than the average, then minor balance corrections are possible as the testing proceeds (5-7 initial power, 4-8 the cost of the SA/SH).

DocCool wrote:
Yes, as with navigation, any way to build a bridge for any player will give him victory points. This can (when choosing architects the first peak) to persuade other players to make a choice, for example, in favor of witches / engineers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
kruppy wrote:
DocCool wrote:

Yeah, Elves look really strong. Towns require only strength 6 AND +4pw per town and round (!) AND unlimited double spades for 5pw with the stronglhold. (And three starting cult steps.)
Thanks, I'll pay more attention to the elves.
So far, they have not proven themselves as too strong a faction, but perhaps this is because of insufficient testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've read all fan-made factions topics in this forum so far, and in my opinion, this faction set belongs to the top tier. Although I dont like all 7 factions at the same level.
Plus, you playtested it with a fixed group of serious players. Major design problems have probably been wiped out. I have indeed no obvious crippling remarks to elaborate.

Like you said, IMHO it's better to discuss each faction separately. If several conversations about different factions start to mix each other in this thread, it will become messy. But it's up to you, so I will flood here devil

Zealots : pretty straightforward, yet fresh idea. Inverted dwelling cost is a nice take also, which make them less sensitive to low-coins games, so they should be solid in a lot of configurations. I have a doubt about the Sh +4PW income, which sounds relatively high to me in regard of the 3W6C low cost ; not hard to fix if needed.

Goblins : also like the action tokens as a flexible wildcard one-time bonus related to the number of structures you have. Spending it early to boost your expansion will result to get a smaller bonus since you have less structure in early game, so I think this is a very clever way to induce interesting gameplay choices. The second town tile for a power value of 12 make them wanting bigger towns, which is cool/original (I also tried to design some factions from this basic idea)

Water Elementals : hard to have an opinion on this one, because its ability is distant from the usual. They have a lot of initial spots, hard to guess for opponents, and will potentially settle next to 2 blue-free hexes, which provides them a cheap good start I think. The "cleansing" spades create interaction in a good way (opponents can bother Elementals by taking adjacent hexes first). I suppose you can use shipping to build from a river hex to another river hex ?

Elves : I like the idea of unlocking a new special action per round for each founded town. I think the 6 power value for a town should be shown in the lower-right corner with the other ability rather than in dwellings row where it is less visible (I'm aware there is a lack of space there is).
bobral wrote:
Elves are a fairly slow faction compared to other green ones.
I wonder what should slow their expansion/first town compared to Witches and Auren.
They start with 3/9/0 vs 5/7/0, 3 cults vs 2, and they need only 6 power value for a town. They obviously want to focus on building a quick first town, and should be able to do it in round 2/3 in a favourable game.
So I'm inclined to agree with DocCool and Kruppy : they seem strong to me, on paper.

Trolls : probably the one I'm the less keen on (with Hermits), sounds a bit convoluted/tricky to me. Maybe also because I dont really get the SH ability. A cave of troll already have a power value of 2, so I dont see much cases where this is useful. 3 adjacent caves + FAV5 gives you a Town without SA, is that it ?
What do you mean by "calculating the maximum length of the chain of buildings" ? if this is about network final size, then it is very (too much ?) powerful.

Architects : indeed, quite similar to my volcano Efreets. Maybe yours is cleaner, cause I had to tweak them for network connection perspective. You dont have that issue, since they have normal shipping. I really like it. Giving 1 power value to the bridge by himself is a great idea. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 9th action thing, but its a good idea to provide an additional (and more expansive) way yo get a bridge, in case ACT1 is under siege. Engineers would like to get free points for their bridges, fortunately, Architects are red .

Hermits : maybe this works technically. But I'm not sure I would enjoy play TM with the aim of staying away from other players. That said, I appreciate your inventivity for giving them ability that makes sense with their loneliness. Just dont think they would be fun to play (I might be wrong since I havent obviously)

PS : congrats on your graphical work on the boards, it's good/clear/clean. Tip : should you use the Papyrus LET font (in bold) for the faction names, it would make your boards closer to "official" ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Elves take FAV5, and what happens if they do? I guess they just get the 2 Fire steps and their town goal remains at 6. Anything else would make them REALLY OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this has been addressed in the original post
bobral wrote:
2. For the founding of the town the elves have enough strength 6 (just as if you have a favor 2fire. This does not stack with favor 2fire)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
Thanks for your feedback!
I have great respect for your contribution to the development of fan factions, so it is especially important for me.

Grovast wrote:
Water Elementals
I suppose you can use shipping to build from a river hex to another river hex?
Ofcourse yes

Grovast wrote:
Elves :
I wonder what should slow their expansion/first town compared to Witches and Auren.
They start with 3/9/0 vs 5/7/0, 3 cults vs 2, and they need only 6 power value for a town. They obviously want to focus on building a quick first town, and should be able to do it in round 2/3 in a favourable game.
So I'm inclined to agree with DocCool and Kruppy : they seem strong to me, on paper.
"Slow faction" - I meant additional actions. When elves have towns and stronghold, they have more action (to gain power, to spend power), because of this they are more likely to pass last. In this case, to spend power for example on action 4 is quite difficult. And it is not so easy to build a city quickly when playing for the green faction (on a standard map). Rarely who will build a town through the center. The other options last longer. This makes the faction of elves not universal, but still a niche

Grovast wrote:
Trolls :
3 adjacent caves + FAV5 gives you a Town without SA, is that it ?
What do you mean by "calculating the maximum length of the chain of buildings" ? if this is about network final size, then it is very (too much ?) powerful.
Yes, network final size, sorry for my English)
We tried different versions of the cave trolls, the problem turned out to be the same - to build caves is unprofitable, it is much more profitable to build a single dwelling or upgrade a trading post in the temple, rather than a cave. In this version, the trolley faction began to play better, although for me they still remain the most tricky faction. It was not easy to implement the idea of downgrade building

Grovast wrote:
Tip : should you use the Papyrus LET font (in bold) for the faction names, it would make your boards closer to "official" ones.
Thanks, in my settings there is no this font, it is necessary to search and download in a network

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobral wrote:
It was not easy to implement the idea of downgrade building
... and I'm not yet convinced that changing a TP to a cave really meets my criteria of a "downgrade". It's more of introducing a 6th type of building with different benefits, which has two pathes to it (from D and from TP).

In Gaia Project, there's a faction (Firaks) which indeed can do a real downgrade from a Research Lab (the GP equivalent of TE) to TP, and gains a research level for this.

Maybe you could form a faction using a similar concept? To translate the relevant features of the Firaks into the TM universe, they may work similar to this:
- SH allows downgrading of TE to TP
- a downgrade allows one cult step in a cult (or in two different cults?)
- a downgrade gains VP in TP>>3 rounds and with FAV10 (TP>>3 favor)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are more significant benefits on the tech tracks than there are on the cult tracks. So a downgrade in TM should yield more than 1 or 2 cult steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
DocCool wrote:
... and I'm not yet convinced that changing a TP to a cave really meets my criteria of a "downgrade". It's more of introducing a 6th type of building with different benefits, which has two pathes to it (from D and from TP).

Yes, I agree with you.
At the beginning of the development the idea was downgrade trading post to the ordinary dwelling.
However, several problems arose. Home - I did not find how to settle the moment when the same dwelling will be rebuilt in TP and back many times. It seemed boring to me and probably unbalanced with VP for TP. Further thoughts led me to the cave.
Also, in the testing process, it turned out that the big problem is a short network final size, because when you downgrade, you spend resources, but you throw yourself back in the matter of increasing the network size.
This moment is completely unreadable when you simply look at the board . To feel, you must try to play
The result was trolls in their current form.
They like towns in later rounds and can compete for network size, they do not like tiles with pass: VP for TP/D, because they get a small reward from them and have their source VP on. So far they have not shown themselves universal and too strong (they never won)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
DocCool wrote:
In Gaia Project, there's a faction (Firaks) which indeed can do a real downgrade from a Research Lab (the GP equivalent of TE) to TP, and gains a research level for this.

Maybe you could form a faction using a similar concept? To translate the relevant features of the Firaks into the TM universe, they may work similar to this:
- SH allows downgrading of TE to TP
- a downgrade allows one cult step in a cult (or in two different cults?)
- a downgrade gains VP in TP>>3 rounds and with FAV10 (TP>>3 favor)

JamesWolfpacker wrote:
There are more significant benefits on the tech tracks than there are on the cult tracks. So a downgrade in TM should yield more than 1 or 2 cult steps.
I'm looking forward to the new TM. Have you tried playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobral wrote:
Calling Gaia Project "the new TM" doesn't properly describe the game.

Both James and I have been playtesters, so yes - we both played it already. I picked up my copy three days ago at the Spiel in Essen, but haven't assembled a group of players to play it yet. The game comes with an automata version for solo play robot, which I might try soon just to get the new acquisition into action.

For further discussion of Gaia Project, I suggest to visit the appropriate BGG forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobrov Alexander
Russia
Maykop
Adygea
flag msg tools
DocCool wrote:
bobral wrote:
Calling Gaia Project "the new TM" doesn't properly describe the game.

Both James and I have been playtesters, so yes - we both played it already. I picked up my copy three days ago at the Spiel in Essen, but haven't assembled a group of players to play it yet. The game comes with an automata version for solo play robot, which I might try soon just to get the new acquisition into action.

For further discussion of Gaia Project, I suggest to visit the appropriate BGG forum.
I envy you
our group is very much waiting for this game meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls